Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Question/concern that I have

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 3:35 PM
  • 14 Replies

From what I have learned from the lady at WIC and somepeople on here, baby eats constantly. Like if he's awake he's eating. I have been told not to wait til he cries to feed him and to watch for signs that he's hungry. Ok. But the signs like hand and arm sucking they do all the time anyway. It just seems like if they're not sleeping they're eating. Is this true? I want to be able to hold him and play with him without having him attatched to me everytime. 

CafeMom Tickers
by on May. 8, 2012 at 3:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama02040608
by on May. 8, 2012 at 3:40 PM
It is normal for a newborn to nurse The majority of the 24 hour day. Many newbies aren't like that, but expect one that is :) Newborns aren't fun, anyway: they eat, poop, and sleep. Once they begin to get more social when they're a few months old, they're more fun and respond to playing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chey88
by on May. 8, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Lol, I know he won't actually be able to "play". But I just wanna be able to hold him and stuff without him attatched if he doesn't need to be. 

Quoting mama02040608:

It is normal for a newborn to nurse The majority of the 24 hour day. Many newbies aren't like that, but expect one that is :) Newborns aren't fun, anyway: they eat, poop, and sleep. Once they begin to get more social when they're a few months old, they're more fun and respond to playing.

CafeMom Tickers
blg5484
by on May. 8, 2012 at 3:43 PM

LOL first time mom???:) the first few weeks they do eat and sleep a lot heck the first few months will be that way but once baby gets a little older they wake more eat less and play/interact sometimes it does feel like all i ever do is change poop and nurse but its really not like that my LOs are 22 months and 7 months and they both nurse

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on May. 8, 2012 at 3:47 PM
All babies are different. Some newbies want to nurse all the time and others dont want to nurse more than every few hours. Totally depends on the child, and if theyre going to be needy, theyre going to be needy regardless of feeding method.

You will have PLENTY of time to hold baby when they arent nursing since thats the other thing they like to do at that age: be held. You will come here saying " he wont let me put him down!!!". Haha...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama02040608
by on May. 8, 2012 at 3:47 PM
My best advice to you is just go with it. Don't overthink, don't put preconceive ideas into the mix, just take it as it comes. Some of my best memories of my kids' infancies are of BF them:). Go into it knowing that you may very well BE attached all the time. IT'S OK! You also may be surprised that you DON'T have a baby like that. All of that is ok and normal.

Quoting chey88:

Lol, I know he won't actually be able to "play". But I just wanna be able to hold him and stuff without him attatched if he doesn't need to be. 

Quoting mama02040608:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chey88
by on May. 8, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Not a first time mom. My dd is 5 lol. But she was ff. I'm am VERY new to breastfeeding tho. With dd other people fed her and all. I'm just afraid of not being able to hold him or anything without having to feed him too. I know he'll want to eat and sleep all the time at first. It just seems like everyone I have talked to is saying the only thing he'll be doing when holding is eating and that's it. 

Quoting blg5484:

LOL first time mom???:) the first few weeks they do eat and sleep a lot heck the first few months will be that way but once baby gets a little older they wake more eat less and play/interact sometimes it does feel like all i ever do is change poop and nurse but its really not like that my LOs are 22 months and 7 months and they both nurse

CafeMom Tickers
blg5484
by on May. 8, 2012 at 3:56 PM

I ment first time BF well its kinda true they can nurse a lot but every baby is differant and with this being your first BFing you will probably second guess your self a bit for a little while(is baby getting enough am i making enough etc) MY DD is 22 months she nursed every 20-30 mins for about 10-15 mins till she was 8 weeks then started to go longer DS is 7 months and from birth he has nursed every 2 hours for about 30 mins. During Growth Spurts they will nurse NON STOP those happen a lot between birth and 8 weeks then will get some space between them happening. You will be able to hold your baby with being lattched all the time.

Quoting chey88:

Not a first time mom. My dd is 5 lol. But she was ff. I'm am VERY new to breastfeeding tho. With dd other people fed her and all. I'm just afraid of not being able to hold him or anything without having to feed him too. I know he'll want to eat and sleep all the time at first. It just seems like everyone I have talked to is saying the only thing he'll be doing when holding is eating and that's it. 

Quoting blg5484:

Jesus Christ, Albert Einstein and Michael Jordan were all breastfed to

age three and beyond. The day YOU have SIX NBA Championship rings and

millions of dollars in endorsement contracts, a Noble Prize in Physics

AND the ability to walk on water, you may make comments.
breastfeeding

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2012 at 4:08 PM

I never felt like I did not get enough time holding baby when he/she was not eating.

Yes, it can really seem like they are nursing 24/7 for much of that first 6 weeks, but there is "down time". When they are newborns I really enjoy when they pass out after nursing and I just let them sleep on my chest. There is time to enjoy your awake baby when they are not eating. It is not a lot in those early weeks, but it gets more and more every day.

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2012 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Here's some more info for you on hunger cues from kellymom.com:

Hunger Cues – When do I feed baby?

SEPTEMBER 1, 2011. Posted in: BREASTFEEDING BASICS

By Kelly Bonyata, BS, IBCLC

Babies should be fed when they indicate hunger. Crying is a late indicator of hunger – breastfeeding is much easier for both mom and baby if mom is able to pick up on baby’s earlier hunger cues.

Common infant hunger cues include:

Early
  • Smacking or licking lips
  • Opening and closing mouth
  • Sucking on lips, tongue, hands, fingers, toes, toys, or clothing
Active
  • Rooting around on the chest of whoever is carrying him
  • Trying to position for nursing, either by lying back or pulling on your clothes
  • Fidgeting or squirming around a lot
  • Hitting you on the arm or chest repeatedly
  • Fussing or breathing fast
Late
  • Moving head frantically from side to side
  • Crying
Early hunger cueLate hunger cue

“My newborn wants to sleep all the time! Should I wake him to nurse?”

Yes, if he doesn’t wake on his own. Many newborns are very sleepy in the early days or weeks and may not exhibit hunger cues as often as they actually need to eat. Newborns should be nursed anytime they cue hunger, but at least every 2 hours during the day and at least once during the night. Once your baby has established a good weight gain pattern (at least 4 ounces per week, for babies under 4 months), you can stop waking baby to nurse and let him set his own pattern.

“My baby just started sleeping longer at night. Do I need to wake him to nurse?”

If your baby is younger than 4 weeks, then it is a good idea to wake baby at least every 4-5 hours at night to nurse if he does not wake on his own. If your child is older than 4 weeks, you can allow baby to sleep as long as he wants at night as long as he is peeing, pooping, and gaining weight within normal parameters.

“My baby frequently sucks on his hands. Does this always mean that he’s hungry?”

After the newborn period, hand sucking is not as reliable an indicator of hunger. Starting at around 6-8 weeks, baby will begin to gain more control over his hands and will soon begin to explore his hands and everything else using his mouth. It is also common for babies to suck on their hands when their gums become tender in preparation for tooth eruption. Symptoms of teething can sometimes occur weeks and even months before the first tooth erupts. More here onteething.

More information:

Hunger Cues Video from Breastfeeding.com

Cue Feeding and Crying by Marie Davis, RN, IBCLC

Nursing your newborn — what to expect in the early weeks @ 

Should baby be on a schedule? Links @ 

Examining the Evidence for Cue Feeding Breastfed Infants by Lisa Marasco, BA, IBCLC and Jan Barger, MA, RN, IBCLC

chey88
by on May. 8, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Thank you :) That helps a lot.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Here's some more info for you on hunger cues from kellymom.com:

Hunger Cues – When do I feed baby?

SEPTEMBER 1, 2011. Posted in: BREASTFEEDING BASICS

By Kelly Bonyata, BS, IBCLC

Babies should be fed when they indicate hunger. Crying is a late indicator of hunger – breastfeeding is much easier for both mom and baby if mom is able to pick up on baby’s earlier hunger cues.

Common infant hunger cues include:

Early
  • Smacking or licking lips
  • Opening and closing mouth
  • Sucking on lips, tongue, hands, fingers, toes, toys, or clothing
Active
  • Rooting around on the chest of whoever is carrying him
  • Trying to position for nursing, either by lying back or pulling on your clothes
  • Fidgeting or squirming around a lot
  • Hitting you on the arm or chest repeatedly
  • Fussing or breathing fast
Late
  • Moving head frantically from side to side
  • Crying
Early hunger cueLate hunger cue

“My newborn wants to sleep all the time! Should I wake him to nurse?”

Yes, if he doesn’t wake on his own. Many newborns are very sleepy in the early days or weeks and may not exhibit hunger cues as often as they actually need to eat. Newborns should be nursed anytime they cue hunger, but at least every 2 hours during the day and at least once during the night. Once your baby has established a good weight gain pattern (at least 4 ounces per week, for babies under 4 months), you can stop waking baby to nurse and let him set his own pattern.

“My baby just started sleeping longer at night. Do I need to wake him to nurse?”

If your baby is younger than 4 weeks, then it is a good idea to wake baby at least every 4-5 hours at night to nurse if he does not wake on his own. If your child is older than 4 weeks, you can allow baby to sleep as long as he wants at night as long as he is peeing, pooping, and gaining weight within normal parameters.

“My baby frequently sucks on his hands. Does this always mean that he’s hungry?”

After the newborn period, hand sucking is not as reliable an indicator of hunger. Starting at around 6-8 weeks, baby will begin to gain more control over his hands and will soon begin to explore his hands and everything else using his mouth. It is also common for babies to suck on their hands when their gums become tender in preparation for tooth eruption. Symptoms of teething can sometimes occur weeks and even months before the first tooth erupts. More here onteething.

More information:

Hunger Cues Video from Breastfeeding.com

Cue Feeding and Crying by Marie Davis, RN, IBCLC

Nursing your newborn — what to expect in the early weeks @ 

Should baby be on a schedule? Links @ 

Examining the Evidence for Cue Feeding Breastfed Infants by Lisa Marasco, BA, IBCLC and Jan Barger, MA, RN, IBCLC

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN