Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

study says breastfed babies are smarter

Posted by   + Show Post
http://www.couriermail.com.au/life/families/breastfed-babies-grow-up-smarter-says-mater-university-of-queensland-study-of-pregnancy/story-e6frer7o-1226350199848

BABIES who are breastfed for four months or more perform better on intelligence tests at age 21, a study has found.
Paediatric registrar Ryan Eisemann analysed data from more than 1600 people born in the 1980s whose mothers were part of the Mater-University of Queensland Study of Pregnancy.

He found an association between those who were breastfed for at least four months and improved intelligence in early adulthood, even after adjusting for birthweight, prematurity, family socio-economic status and the mother's education and IQ levels.
Dr Eisemann, based at the Mater Children's Hospital, presented the results at the Royal Australasian College of Physicians' Future Directions in Health Congress in Brisbane yesterday.
Speaking outside the conference, he stressed that even though the study showed that breastfeeding a baby for longer was predictive of increased intelligence at ages 14 and 21, it was impossible to say for certain from the research whether breast milk made kids smarter.

"I think it's partly an effect of the content of breast milk, and whether that's related to the fatty acids or other bioactive compounds that have neurodevelopmental consequences," Dr Eisemann said.
"But there's also the fact that mums who breastfeed spend large amounts of time cuddling and bonding with their infant so there's the actual attachment process of the breastfeeding that has an impact.
"We know there's research emerging that having secure attachment is very important from a neurodevelopmental point of view. I think you can't really say it's one or the other.
"It's probably going to be both of those things.
"There's also always the potential that there are other things that we didn't measure that account for the effect."
Dr Eisemann said the research suggested longer duration of breastfeeding should continue to be encouraged but, ultimately, the decision was up to individual women.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 8, 2012 at 4:46 PM
Replies (11-18):
aeroslove
by on May. 10, 2012 at 3:12 AM

I believe it, maybe not every single child but most. My two first girls where formula fed and um they lack common sense. They dont understand a lot of things that they SHOULD but dont. My son is 2 years old and still BF. He is a Super smart boy, quick on his toes, hyper, fun loving and understands everything we say even though HE still does not talk in full sentences yet. I asked him tonight if he wanted me to sing him a song before bed and he let go of my boob and he said Yah and started singing Grenade from Bruno mars. Half way he stopped so i could sing to him. I never seen a baby do that.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 10, 2012 at 4:55 AM
It is really about each person's potential, not comparing them to other people. Breastfeeding is the biological norm, so the person would reach their full potential if breastfed. That same person could have some hindrance due to not being breastfed. So, your siblings that are super smart could have Bern even smarter if they had been breastfed.

Quoting zannahdeux:

I don't believe it...I have three siblings...the last two if us were ebf fed for at least 9 months and we are the dumber of the four! Oldest was formula fed only and she did the best academically, second oldest was a combo breast and formula and she has the highest iq....no matter still thinks it is better than formula
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zannahdeux
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2012 at 6:53 AM
Quoting aehanrahan:

Ah! And I would have been dumber...I see...good thing I wasn't formula fed otherwise I wouldn't be able to follow you
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 10, 2012 at 11:21 AM
It is not an absolute, but the risk is there.

Quoting zannahdeux:

Quoting aehanrahan:

Ah! And I would have been dumber...I see...good thing I wasn't formula fed otherwise I wouldn't be able to follow you
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annaica
by on May. 10, 2012 at 11:23 AM
We were all breastfed. I was breastfed the longest (over 2 years) and it is obvious I am the smartest of my siblings lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Glowing4Caleb
by Member on May. 10, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Wel, I personally think my son is the smartest little boy ever! ;) But, who knows if it was because he was breastfed. What I do know, is that he sure did have the best start in life that I could have given him! :) (breastfed for just over one year!)

JEB1175
by on May. 10, 2012 at 12:08 PM
I believe it:) Our bodies make the perfect food for our offspring, to nourish the whole child. Formula just can't replicate breastmilk! Although it keeps baby growing on charts, there is no telling what it lacks for nourishing the mind.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
robibuni
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2012 at 12:28 PM
I don't buy it, really.

I was FF and turned out quite intelligent, despite the fact. DD1 was also FF and is way too smart for her own good. DD2 is BF and I can already tell she's smart...I think its more genetics.

Dumb begets dumb.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN