Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

DD is tongue tied, but doc doesn't want to clip it?

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 5:34 PM
  • 15 Replies

I have suspected that my DD is tongue tied, and we got it confirmed by her pediatrician today.  She said that her frenulum was really tight, but she didn't think it should be clipped, because her weight gains were good...She said that since it wasn't causing too many issues with bfing, that they would wait until later to do it, as it may cause speech problems.  Thoughts?

We do have issues breastfeeding.  It is still painful on occasion, and her weight is just now getting good.

by on May. 8, 2012 at 5:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
3rd2bedue
by on May. 8, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Uhhh yeah dont wait, we did and it messes with the speech significantly! My son is now 3 and cant talk right at ALL. Getting his cut soon now that he was seen by a good ENT. Go see an ENT and tell them your concerns! Waiting can cause more damage than doing it earlier is what i have to say! Although it cant be that significant of a tie when your child can still BF ... mine could never latch on! Difficult to tell for your situation ild say! ^_^ Good luck though! ^_^ 

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2012 at 5:39 PM
I'd get a 2nd opinion!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shortyali
by Alicia on May. 8, 2012 at 6:16 PM
I would go to an ENT and have them clip it anyway. If you need a referral tell the doc you want one no matter what. Your the mom you decide. I had to threaten to take up the only exam room my kids pedi had to get mine. That was at 9 months and the ENT we went to said if we had it done when she was younger then it would have been a simple clip in the office. But because she was older and I didn't think I could hold her still enough by myself it turned into a hospital procedure.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sreichelt26
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2012 at 6:31 PM
NOT clipping it causes speech problems.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2012 at 7:29 PM
I'd bring her to an ENT to get it clipped.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Miranda on May. 8, 2012 at 7:36 PM

I would either get a second opinion or go back to the dr & tell him that you want it clipped, end of story, no  dicussion. If you need to bring links  showing how it afects speech later on.

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2012 at 9:39 PM
I hear this all the time and it makes me crazy! There is so much excellent research that all says to get it clipped. Do you need info on how to find the right Dr to clip it?

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2012 at 9:40 PM
Go to http://www.lowmilksupply.org/frenotomy.shtml
Tawnya.
by on May. 8, 2012 at 9:42 PM
My dd doc told us that they are not cutting anymore unless it causes problems.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PoodleMum
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2012 at 9:57 PM

We've had the best luck with oral surgeons to fix tongue ties :)  DD saw a pedi who thought I was crazy, an ENT that thought it was too minimal to make a difference, and several other professionals (speech pathologist, IBCLC, etc) that didn't catch it or told us tongue ties don't affect anything (that was the SP).  The oral surgeon I found on a tongue tie site said it was a SEVERE tie and clipped it the best he could, but like he and one of the LC predicted, she still cannot nurse.  It is always the best idea to clip!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)