Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Frustrated

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 6:48 PM
  • 33 Replies
I can not get this child to nurse during the day! She nurses at night almost no problem so I latch her every few hours and she nurses. I nurse her to put her to sleep ten randomly through the night even though she doesn't wake up to stimulate my milk more. But during the day we fight the whole ten allowed minutes then she ends up getting what I could pump then formula the res of the way with me trying to latch her after every oz on the bottle. I'll get a few min of latch then she gets angry. Why isn't she latching during the day?

Also I was told not to lose anymore weight. I'm 5'5 and 138 (20 lbs more then what I normally weigh) because my body needs the extra weight. Is this true? If so bf sucks if I have to stay chubby! I have never been so big in my life not pregnant an it's killing my joints!
Do I really need to keep this weight on? Also I was told to eatatleast 2000 calories a day! Why so many when te normal non breastfeeding amount would be around 1200 for my height/age
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 8, 2012 at 6:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Paradys
by on May. 8, 2012 at 6:51 PM
bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MILFInProgress
by on May. 8, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Quoting armybratmom612:

I can not get this child to nurse during the day! She nurses at night almost no problem so I latch her every few hours and she nurses. I nurse her to put her to sleep ten randomly through the night even though she doesn't wake up to stimulate my milk more. But during the day we fight the whole ten allowed minutes then she ends up getting what I could pump then formula the res of the way with me trying to latch her after every oz on the bottle. I'll get a few min of latch then she gets angry. Why isn't she latching during the day? Sounds like nipple confusion. At night she might be comfort nursing, not nusing for hunger so that would be the difference.

Also I was told not to lose anymore weight. I'm 5'5 and 138 (20 lbs more then what I normally weigh) because my body needs the extra weight. Is this true? If so bf sucks if I have to stay chubby! I have never been so big in my life not pregnant an it's killing my joints! You don't have to stay chubby to nurse just eat healthy and exercise
Do I really need to keep this weight on? Also I was told to eatatleast 2000 calories a day! Why so many when te normal non breastfeeding amount would be around 1200 for my height/age you need 800 additional calories a day for nursing so you don't starve yourself. If you only put in healthy calories, not fast food or processed food, then you don't need to worry about weight gain.

armybratmom612
by on May. 8, 2012 at 7:18 PM
See I've been being told only 400 xtra cals which is why I am confused and as far as for not gaining weight in eating healthy at 1600 cals that I was eating and I've put back on 12 lbs I lost prior and that is with moderate exercise through the day

Quoting MILFInProgress:

Quoting armybratmom612:

I can not get this child to nurse during the day! She nurses at night almost no problem so I latch her every few hours and she nurses. I nurse her to put her to sleep ten randomly through the night even though she doesn't wake up to stimulate my milk more. But during the day we fight the whole ten allowed minutes then she ends up getting what I could pump then formula the res of the way with me trying to latch her after every oz on the bottle. I'll get a few min of latch then she gets angry. Why isn't she latching during the day? Sounds like nipple confusion. At night she might be comfort nursing, not nusing for hunger so that would be the difference.

Also I was told not to lose anymore weight. I'm 5'5 and 138 (20 lbs more then what I normally weigh) because my body needs the extra weight. Is this true? If so bf sucks if I have to stay chubby! I have never been so big in my life not pregnant an it's killing my joints! You don't have to stay chubby to nurse just eat healthy and exercise
Do I really need to keep this weight on? Also I was told to eatatleast 2000 calories a day! Why so many when te normal non breastfeeding amount would be around 1200 for my height/age you need 800 additional calories a day for nursing so you don't starve yourself. If you only put in healthy calories, not fast food or processed food, then you don't need to worry about weight gain.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
armybratmom612
by on May. 8, 2012 at 7:22 PM
It's not nipple confusion i dont think because she takes her prebed and morning meal strictly nursing but if her sisters are up and about and the day has started she just refuses. Also this was never a issue the last 9 wks that she has gotten bottles randomly it has been just recently.

Quoting MILFInProgress:

Quoting armybratmom612:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
collinsmommy0
by on May. 8, 2012 at 7:26 PM
1 mom liked this
That still sounds like nipple confusion. If things are going on around her, then she won't want to nurse....especially if a bottle is offered when she refuses to nurse.

Every oz of formula you give means you will make that much less during the day.

No you do not have to stay chubby. I'm the lightest ive been in 10 years due to nursing. Malnurished moms make milk with the same content as overweight moms....so your weight doesn't matter. However, you still need to eat healthy because nutrients go to your milk & baby first. I don't count calories, I just eat when hungry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
armybratmom612
by on May. 8, 2012 at 7:35 PM
She has to have the formula unfortunately but it's offered as a last option if we are unable to feed her enough bm during the feeding. I'm being told to make sure to eat that many calories and to log them to ensure I'm eating enough or I will end up with only 900 for a day and with my work outs I was burning 500 of those. I guess I'm just confused. I never thought I would hear a lc and dr tell me to not lose weight when I'm above my healthy weight

Quoting collinsmommy0:

That still sounds like nipple confusion. If things are going on around her, then she won't want to nurse....especially if a bottle is offered when she refuses to nurse.

No you do not have to stay chubby. I'm the lightest ive been in 10 years due to nursing. Malnurished moms make milk with the same content as overweight moms....so your weight doesn't matter. However, you still need to eat healthy because nutrients go to your milk & baby first. I don't count calories, I just eat when hungry.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MILFInProgress
by on May. 8, 2012 at 7:40 PM

I would ignore the losing weight stuff. As long as your eating healthy and getting enough calories how much you weigh does not matter. I would goal 500-800 extra a day, just make sure your getting enough for you and baby, and keep in mind the calories burned exercising.

Quoting armybratmom612:

She has to have the formula unfortunately but it's offered as a last option if we are unable to feed her enough bm during the feeding. I'm being told to make sure to eat that many calories and to log them to ensure I'm eating enough or I will end up with only 900 for a day and with my work outs I was burning 500 of those. I guess I'm just confused. I never thought I would hear a lc and dr tell me to not lose weight when I'm above my healthy weight

Quoting collinsmommy0:

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 8, 2012 at 7:42 PM
1 mom liked this
She has bottle flow preference. She doesn't want to work for her food at the breast when she knows that you will end up giving her the easy bottle.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beckerdev
by on May. 8, 2012 at 8:04 PM

ABSOLUTELY agree with Amy. My daughter did the same thing and we had to really work at keeping the bottle away because she would ONLY take that during the day. At night they are more tired and tend to latch easier rather than fighting it. If you give formula in a bottle every time she fights you, she "wins", it's easier for her. Maybe instead of using bottles try a dropper or spoon if she HAS to have formula. But please remember, the less she bf, the less you make, you should be pumping for every missed feed if you want to keep up your supply- and that seems like a lot of pumping! Oh, and try not to worry SO much about the weight thing!

Quoting aehanrahan:

She has bottle flow preference. She doesn't want to work for her food at the breast when she knows that you will end up giving her the easy bottle.

melindabelcher
by mel on May. 8, 2012 at 8:04 PM
Yes she needs to lose the bottles
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN