Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Expectations at 9 months...sorry long

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 9:43 PM
  • 29 Replies
Today I ordered tickets to a live show for my family to go to in later July. My older kids have been seeing advertisements for it and I found out yesterday that it was coming to the USA. Anyhow, I bought tickets today and the family is stoked! Now the dilemma... Dh say we're not taking our baby girl to the show because shell be a distraction. (she'll be 9 months when we go). My baby absolutely will not take a bottle. I've been giving her a sippy cup with BM every so often and she kind of chews on it. I assumed that his parents would come with us to help us with the baby and keep her busy at the hotel while we are gone (its 3 hes away) that way I could nurse her before we leave and then when we get back to the hotel. He and his mom said no! That the baby is staying at home and they'll watch her there. I just don't know if she'll be taking a sippy cup real good at that point?? She still gets up 1-2 times at night to nurse and nurses herself to sleep. What am I going to do? I feel like just saying forget the trip. I'm not going without my baby. Dh says that I just HAVE to get her to take a bottle or sippy. I'm just so frustrated right now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 8, 2012 at 9:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 8, 2012 at 9:45 PM
2 moms liked this

1. Late July is a lifetime away. Things can change.

2. Babies often do things for others that they will NEVEr do when mom is around. Like taking cups or cleaning their rooms (OK< that's the bifg babies).

3. No infant will starve herself. When truly hungry she'll eat.

Enjoy your show.

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2012 at 9:47 PM
I was in the same situation 2 yrs ago when my DD was 9 months old. I had bought the tickets to the play months earlier, perfect for my older kids, but couldn't take DD. she was bnursed on demand and refused bottles. I was gone about 5 hors and she did fine. I sent lots of snacks I knew she liked along with her sippy of water she was used to. She did just fine! I left her with my SIL who I trusted 100%. She took her for a walk in the stroller until she fell asleep.
sreichelt26
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2012 at 9:49 PM

This is exactly how my dd is when I leave her with MIL's. I nurse right before and she waits until I get back. They've never had a problem with her :)

Quoting maggiemom2000:

I was in the same situation 2 yrs ago when my DD was 9 months old. I had bought the tickets to the play months earlier, perfect for my older kids, but couldn't take DD. she was bnursed on demand and refused bottles. I was gone about 5 hors and she did fine. I sent lots of snacks I knew she liked along with her sippy of water she was used to. She did just fine! I left her with my SIL who I trusted 100%. She took her for a walk in the stroller until she fell asleep.

sqrocket
by on May. 8, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Keep working on the bottle and try to get her on a few solids that she will reliably eat. Also, I would recommend(if you haven't already) to start leaving her with sitters(relatives, paid sitters, whoever normally watches her) for increasingly longer periods of time. That way she will be a little more used to being away from you and easier to watch. (I'm assuming you haven't left her for very long periods of time if she is dependent on the breast for nourishment.)

GunaBmommaof3
by on May. 8, 2012 at 9:56 PM
Yeah dh says she won't starve herself either. She has been by my side 24-7 so I don't know what she'll do without me. Good point... Thanks for the advice.

Quoting gdiamante:

1. Late July is a lifetime away. Things can change.

2. Babies often do things for others that they will NEVEr do when mom is around. Like taking cups or cleaning their rooms (OK< that's the bifg babies).

3. No infant will starve herself. When truly hungry she'll eat.

Enjoy your show.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GunaBmommaof3
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:06 PM
Only have left her to get my hair done or get groceries. I'm a nervous mess about it even though its a couple months away. I'll keep working on the bottles.

Quoting sqrocket:

Keep working on the bottle and try to get her on a few solids that she will reliably eat. Also, I would recommend(if you haven't already) to start leaving her with sitters(relatives, paid sitters, whoever normally watches her) for increasingly longer periods of time. That way she will be a little more used to being away from you and easier to watch. (I'm assuming you haven't left her for very long periods of time if she is dependent on the breast for nourishment.)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifetimelove
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Liam never had a bottle. I had my first long time away from him around that age. He did fine. Didn't need a bottle, just ate solids and had some water from a sippy. I was probably gone for 6 hours. Go. Have fun. They'll figure it out. =)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceckyl
by Kyla on May. 8, 2012 at 11:04 PM
You don't have to work on bottles. Babies shouldn't take one around mom anyways. She will eat when you ate gone and she's hungry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
collinsmommy0
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:04 AM
I would just bring baby. If DH ha a problem, maybe he should stay home & pay for a sitter to come with you to help with the older kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kajira
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2012 at 12:29 AM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't go.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN