Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much breast milk does a 7 month old need while I'm away at work for 9 hours??!!!

Posted by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:19 AM
  • 13 Replies
I have been working full time since he was 10 weeks and sending four 3 oz bottles since but my sitter is saying he is starving! He chugs the bottles and wants more! I only make 12 oz a day pumping for the next days bottles... I'm stressing cuz I don't know what I need to do? Formula? I really need advice.. I don't want him to starve or lose weight... He is 16 lbs. Any thoughts?! Thx!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shelley11709
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:23 AM
1-1.25 oz per hour you are gone. No bottle bigger than 3oz. Burp after every ounce. It takes baby's belly a little while to realize it is full so slow the feedings down.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jjchick75
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2012 at 12:23 AM
2 moms liked this

There is no way he is starving with that much breastmilk. Baby should only be getting 1-1.25 ounces per hour you are gone! Your babysitter needs to learn how to soothe a baby without food. There are other reasons baby cries, other than being hungry.

boom_maker
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2012 at 12:28 AM
How big are the bottles? And yeah, what the other girls said.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sreichelt26
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2012 at 12:41 AM
What they said. The most he would need is 9-11 oz. If you go to kellymom.com there's an article you should print out called "bottle feeding the breastfed baby"

Baby should not be chugging - he's not being given time to register that he's full.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 9, 2012 at 1:02 AM

9-11 ounces. It doesn't change over time.

MumB
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2012 at 9:46 AM
Ok that's what I thought but she scared me so I wanted to hear it from u guys... So should I go back to four 3 oz bottles then??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on May. 9, 2012 at 9:57 AM
Yes stay within the 1-2.25oz an hr rule.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FLmommy0204
by on May. 9, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Have you started solids?  I'd recommend adding in a small snack here or there as well.  My bottle sizes stayed the same, but I did increase foods over time. 

bigmamaisback
by on May. 9, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Try using something herbal like Breastea from breastea.com to increase your milk supply. If he needs formula while your increasing your milk production, send formula. I'd also talk to a lactation consultant or pediatrician too. Us moms stress alot over things, but you know your baby and don't worry to much if you need to use formula or not for awhile.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 9, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Breastea is fine but not needed in this situation. Mom is sending plenty of milk and doesn't need to send more.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)