Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Low Iron in 7 month old

Posted by on May. 9, 2012 at 1:25 AM
  • 9 Replies

DD is exclusively breastfed and she has low iron. Her dr put her on infant multivitamin drops but she does not take them. She spits them out everywhere! Dr also said to give her rice cereal, but I told her that we are doing babyfood from home, not store bought. We don't even do purees. Any other ideas to get iron in her system or should I just not worry about it?

by on May. 9, 2012 at 1:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
sreichelt26
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2012 at 1:32 AM
How did they determine low iron?

Artificial iron will cause problems, not help, because it will inhibit the absorption of the natural iron in your breastmilk.

Search iron on kellymom.com for more info. Sorry I can't give the link - I'm mobile.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 9, 2012 at 1:35 AM

If low iron came form a finger prick, ask for a blood draw. The pricks are notoriously inaccurate.

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on May. 9, 2012 at 1:40 AM
Is she showing any signs if anemia? Remember that the standards for iron levels were set by formula fed babies who are pumped full if so much iron they get constipated. Has she started solids? You can definitly do high iron foods homemade.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GuysLady
by on May. 9, 2012 at 2:06 AM

I breastfed my son, who now 17 for quite a long time, and Gina is correct!  Finger prick tests are notoriously inaccurate!  I would ask for the blood draw.  We did, and his iron was still somewhat low.  When mine was tested, guess what?  So was mine.

I had a very good doctor, who truely BELIEVED in breastfeeding and everything that goes with it..  His solution wasn't to give the iron to the baby.  He helped me work on bringing my own up, and as mine climbed, so did my son's!

jess227ny
by on May. 9, 2012 at 2:09 AM
1 mom liked this
All of the above....just wanted to add...if you do need to up your iron try to do so through diet with real whole foods and herbs not fortified stuff. If you still need to supplement look into floradix the one without honey.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fields456
by on May. 9, 2012 at 2:15 AM
1 mom liked this

my sisters dd was ebf till she was 7 (ish months) and last month at 9 months they found out she had low iron ( my sisters iorn level was fine) they are having to suppliment too.  they found out her body doesnt absorb the iron like it should

she  will also be breastfeed till 2 years

Aydnsmommy
by Member on May. 9, 2012 at 8:39 PM

They found out through a blood draw to check her antibodies ( long story). I was checked and I am in completly normal levels. Can I go higher? She is on solids a little. I give her anything we are eating that is safe for her (of course following the guide to introducing new foods). I am just not sure what to give her to up her iron. The dr didn't act like it was a huge deal, but I am still worried.

Aydnsmommy
by Member on May. 9, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Can she have little bits of meat? Are scrambled eggs safe for her to eat? Oh and she does not have any teeth.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 9, 2012 at 8:48 PM

You can give her iron-rich foods. Cooking in cast iron adds iron to foods as well. Vitamin C helps with iron absorption. There is a list of good foods in the article linked below.

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)