Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

stupid military...

Posted by on May. 9, 2012 at 3:32 AM
  • 5 Replies
So dd and I are at almost 6 months and I keep going back and forth with myself about when to wean because this military stuff is kicking my butt. I'm in the army national guard and luckily that's all I do for work. But I have to leave one weekend a month and go through the pain to try to pump every couple of hours with all the demands of the military and being a bfing mom.

So my question is, I might be leaving for 4 days this drill next weekend but we might have this weekend figured out if I don't have enough milk stored by then. My SO will come and get what I pump while I'm gone. But the next drill which is only 2 weeks later, will be a 2 week drill. And obviously if my SO has to come get milk just to make it 4 days, I definitely won't have any extra when I need to leave.

Do I try weaning her? Or maybe just giving her formula if there isn't enough? Or see if my SO can come get the milk as the days go by? Or try to wean soon ish? I have no interest in weaning or using formula if I can help it at all. As of right now I'm trying to get out of going for the whole time but I haven't heard anything back. What do I do?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 9, 2012 at 3:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
shelley11709
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2012 at 3:54 AM
How often do you pump now? Try pumping every time you feed your LO. You have no reason to stop BFing if you don't want to. I would have SO come pick up what you pump every couple of days. If your LO sleeps through the night wake up every 3-4 hrs and pump.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MonicaV1982
by on May. 9, 2012 at 4:28 AM
the military HAS to let you pump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama02040608
by on May. 9, 2012 at 6:42 AM
Pump for your own health and comfort when you're gone for the longer drill and make up for any shortfall with formula if you need to. I know the reality of some jobs is that although you're allowed time to pump, sometimes it just doesn't happen that way. Do your best and then do what you have to in order to feed your baby. It will get easier as baby gets older and solids come into play. Kudos for getting this far with having to be away from baby periodically!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zannahdeux
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2012 at 7:08 AM
Quoting mama02040608:

Pump for your own health and comfort when you're gone for the longer drill and make up for any shortfall with formula if you need to. I know the reality of some jobs is that although you're allowed time to pump, sometimes it just doesn't happen that way. Do your best and then do what you have to in order to feed your baby. It will get easier as baby gets older and solids come into play. Kudos for getting this far with having to be away from baby periodically!

This or have dh come and get it every few days if that is possible.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 9, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Formula for when there isn't enough. That's what it's for.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN