Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Vacation w/o baby and pumping

Posted by on May. 9, 2012 at 8:17 AM
  • 6 Replies
Im going on a trip for 5 days without my baby that I'm still nursing :( obviously I'm going to pump the entire time to keep my supply up. My question is storing the milk and getting it home. My questions and thoughts are:

-fresh expressed milk only lasts for 48 hours so does that mean the milk I pump the first 3 days will have to be dumped I guess?? (I will be in a hotel room with no excess to a freezer and wouldn't know how to get it home still frozen anyways)
-would a mini fridge keep fresh milk fresh for 48 hours or do they not get as cold as a regular fridge.
-I know when traveling with kids you can bring liquids but I won't have the baby with me when I'm trying to get milk home on the flight. Does anyone have experience with this? I'm traveling AA.

Please share your thoughts and experiences. Thanks :)
by on May. 9, 2012 at 8:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 9, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Who told you 48 hours?  Eight days, hon. Just store it in the minifridge and pack it in a cooler with dry ice for the trip home. Been thre and done that... though admittedly before 9/11 so transport rules have changed. You can also ship it home.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 9, 2012 at 9:55 AM

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/milkstorage/milkstorage/

This is the bible on storage.

Glowing4Caleb
by Member on May. 9, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Airlines SHOULD let you on board with the expressed milk. However, there are MANY agents who don't know the proper rules. I would call the airline (or actually the airport, as well) and get the rules from a higer up, in writing so if/when you get any trouble from the agent you will have back up. Also, I dont know that dry ice would be permitted...perhaps if you weren't bringing it in a carry on. I would want to keep my breastmilk on me, though. How long is the flight and drive to/from the airports? You could probably take a cooler with ice and freshen up the ice at the airport if need be. Again, just call the airline/airport to check their rules.

RaLeighsMommy11
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2012 at 10:22 AM
I don't see why it's necessary to leave a breastfed baby for 5 days & not take them with you? But that's just me but anyways there is no need in dumping it will be fine just put it in fridge & put ice around it on the way home
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babylove0915
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:32 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone, and to RaLeighsmommy11 it really isn't any of your business if I'm leaving my baby and this website is for support not to put others down for their decisions.

Thank you ladies.
ConnorMom228
by on May. 9, 2012 at 1:19 PM
You can have fresh milk in the fridge for 6-8 days. You should be ok.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN