Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Need some advice on solids, please.

Posted by on May. 9, 2012 at 9:58 AM
  • 20 Replies

My dd is 4.5 months and EBF. She does pretty good during the day but at night she "snacks" ALL night. I mean like every hour she is up eating. But she will only eat for maybe 5-10 mins. then fall back to sleep. I was wanting to wait on solids for alittle whle longer but someone suggested I start solids. They said that might be the reason she wants to snack all night...? I'm not sure on that, that is why I am asking you ladies for your advice/opinions. Also, my mom will more than likely be watching her this summer and dd refuses a bottle. She's abit nervous about that. Any advice on how I can get her to take a sippy cup? I should add that she is almost 17 lbs.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on May. 9, 2012 at 9:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FLmommy0204
by on May. 9, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Foods won't make her sleep any longer.  That is a milestone they reach when ready. 

She may not be "snacking" all night, but conform nursing instead.  If that's the case, solids definately won't help. 

When she refuses bottles, who is offering and are you around? 

mamabens
by Miranda on May. 9, 2012 at 10:07 AM

She is way too young for solids!! Google the virgin gut. Earliest age to start solids is 6 months. She's being a normal 4 month old it will pass. There is no getting used to a bottle, if she's hungry enough she'll either take the bottle or wait for you, google reverse cycling. If you want her to take a sippy instead then when you leave her with your mom leave a sippy(without the valve) & have mom tip it up. Remember the 1-1.25 oz per hour of seperation rule & leave  milk in no more than 3 oz increments. but  her snacking at night is normal. She might be going through a growth spurt(it's that time) &   also giving her solids will not help her sleep, in fact it could make her tummy upset & make her not sleep as much as she does!

sophiesister2
by Member on May. 9, 2012 at 10:08 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on May. 9, 2012 at 10:10 AM
Solids to make baby sleep is myth lol. Baby will sleep when she's ready. Solids will only cause more problems.
As for bottle/sippy, leave baby with caregiver and go. If she is hungry she'll eat. It's their instinct not to start themselves. Mama cannot be the one to try the bottle, don't even be in the house, she can smell you :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ArmyWife0927
by Member on May. 9, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Quoting FLmommy0204:

Foods won't make her sleep any longer.  That is a milestone they reach when ready. 

She may not be "snacking" all night, but conform nursing instead.  If that's the case, solids definately won't help. 

When she refuses bottles, who is offering and are you around? 

I don't really care that she is waking all hrs of the night to eat. Comfort nursing makes more since than snacking! My mom tried giving her a bottle while dh and I were gone. She refuses!

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 9, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Too early for solids and typically they don't help babies sleep. Often they lead to more waking!

ArmyWife0927
by Member on May. 9, 2012 at 11:10 AM

It's not so much the sleep. I was told that them waking up at night could mean they are ready for solids.<She was talking about 4+months. I don't belive that so that's why I'm asking. 

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 9, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Hmm. So when I wake up in the middle of the night I need to eat? **grin** Nope. The waking is  very very very normal. And it's SIDS defense.

Quoting ArmyWife0927:

It's not so much the sleep. I was told that them waking up at night could mean they are ready for solids.

ArmyWife0927
by Member on May. 9, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Thanks ladies..I was hestitant to belive her. LOL

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 9, 2012 at 11:33 AM

This is everything that I was going to say. I will post some articles in a bit.

Quoting mamabens:

She is way too young for solids!! Google the virgin gut. Earliest age to start solids is 6 months. She's being a normal 4 month old it will pass. There is no getting used to a bottle, if she's hungry enough she'll either take the bottle or wait for you, google reverse cycling. If you want her to take a sippy instead then when you leave her with your mom leave a sippy(without the valve) & have mom tip it up. Remember the 1-1.25 oz per hour of seperation rule & leave  milk in no more than 3 oz increments. but  her snacking at night is normal. She might be going through a growth spurt(it's that time) &   also giving her solids will not help her sleep, in fact it could make her tummy upset & make her not sleep as much as she does!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)