Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Weaning

Posted by on May. 9, 2012 at 3:21 PM
  • 15 Replies
How do I do it? My lo will be 1 this june and I'm just trying to give myself a heads up on how to wean him. Can anyone give me a step by step ?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 9, 2012 at 3:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CjEmmemommy
by on May. 9, 2012 at 3:22 PM
I let my kids drop feedings on their own and go from there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sreichelt26
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2012 at 3:28 PM

You don't have to wean just because he's turning 1.

That being said, if you do want to wean, it's best to drop one feeding at a time until he's no longer nursing.

http://kellymom.com/category/ages/weaning/wean-how/

darrensmom11
by on May. 9, 2012 at 3:46 PM
I always told myself that I was going to let it happen naturally, but I want to start back to school on july and lately my son has grown a new type of attachment to me. Ex¤1 he has been grabbing both my breasts one at a time,,, almost to make sure they are still there or something
Ex¤2, he has been nursing now more than ever.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 9, 2012 at 5:29 PM
2 moms liked this

1) You can teach nursing manners to get him to stop grabbing the breasts. I never allowed my baby to do that, so he stopped. 

2) His nursing more now is a phase and will NOT last forever. He could be working on a new milestone and needs the reassurance that nursing brings. 

Quoting darrensmom11:

I always told myself that I was going to let it happen naturally, but I want to start back to school on july and lately my son has grown a new type of attachment to me. Ex¤1 he has been grabbing both my breasts one at a time,,, almost to make sure they are still there or something
Ex¤2, he has been nursing now more than ever.

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on May. 9, 2012 at 5:33 PM
Weaning wont change his attachment to you. You can return to school, you dont need to wean for that... In fact, it may make it harder on him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tryingmybest1
by on May. 9, 2012 at 6:43 PM

It is ultimately up to you when you want to stop bf. After overwhelming myself with trying to wean my son, I made the choice to let him do it himself. I was tired of hearing about how and when and why I should. Just the thought of stopping at that point made me an emotional wreck. That bond we hold with them while bf is something no one can ever put into words. The unmistakable bond only a mother her child can feel when bf. If you do try to wean, try cutting down first, then go cold turkey. If you can't cut down, then just go cold turkey. It's hard those first few days, but it's worked for many. After a couple weeks pass it should be better. Most women these days don't have the luxuries to be a stay at home mom. As a working mom and student, I breast pumped what I could. He eventually formed to my schedule though, so I eventually stopped pumping. You have to remember that regardless of anyone's opinion, that every child is different. You will learn from your baby as your baby learns from you. On the other subject, I wanted add that sometimesexcessive bf could be the result of a growth spurt, teething, etc. Sorry my writing's all over the place....

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 9, 2012 at 6:52 PM

We do not advise weaning cold turkey. It usually causes major engorgement, which can turn into plugged ducts and mastitis. This can be dangerous for a mom that is not nursing because the best course of treatment for plugged ducts and mastitis is frequent nursing to clear clogs and infection. 

Quoting tryingmybest1:

It is ultimately up to you when you want to stop bf. After overwhelming myself with trying to wean my son, I made the choice to let him do it himself. I was tired of hearing about how and when and why I should. Just the thought of stopping at that point made me an emotional wreck. That bond we hold with them while bf is something no one can ever put into words. The unmistakable bond only a mother her child can feel when bf. If you do try to wean, try cutting down first, then go cold turkey. If you can't cut down, then just go cold turkey. It's hard those first few days, but it's worked for many. After a couple weeks pass it should be better. Most women these days don't have the luxuries to be a stay at home mom. As a working mom and student, I breast pumped what I could. He eventually formed to my schedule though, so I eventually stopped pumping. You have to remember that regardless of anyone's opinion, that every child is different. You will learn from your baby as your baby learns from you. On the other subject, I wanted add that sometimesexcessive bf could be the result of a growth spurt, teething, etc. Sorry my writing's all over the place....

darrensmom11
by on May. 9, 2012 at 8:40 PM
He actually just got his first tooth last saturday.

Quoting tryingmybest1:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rbailey2414
by on May. 9, 2012 at 8:43 PM
Thanks for this post- I am also wanting to wean because I feel like I need my space back after a year of constant boobage!!!! :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 9, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Uh-oh. No one warned you? 

Still waiting to get MY space back more than a decade post-weaning! your body is on long -term lease! (I am now a tackle dummy and canine furniture!)

OP.. drop one feeding per week till gone,. replacing with formula before one year, however you like after one year. But weaning won't change the issues you note.

Quoting rbailey2414:

Thanks for this post- I am also wanting to wean because I feel like I need my space back after a year of constant boobage!!!! :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)