Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Is there something wrong with my breast??!?

Posted by on May. 10, 2012 at 1:45 AM
  • 13 Replies

I have a two month old and I have been pumping and giving my milk in a bottle for her. But sometimes she takes a while to latch on and when she gets that latch she starts to move her head from side to side and pulls off. My nipple wont stay hard or wont get hard sometimes so I am wondering if thats whats wrong. And there are times when my boobie covers her nose so I use my finger and move it. I could pull by whole breast back but sometimes when I do she pulls off :/ So I have started to give her formula as well because I cant seem to pump more than 4oz and she eats anywhere from 4-6oz per feeding.  Is there anyone else with this problem and have you found a way to fix it, if so please fill me in!

in lovelesbians

by on May. 10, 2012 at 1:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2012 at 1:51 AM
2 moms liked this
First off your pumping more thrn enough! Never bottle feed a bf baby more then 3 ounces! Also burp after each ounce.

Second it all soundd normal just keep offering and count diapers, no less then 6 in 24 hours and messy and soaked count as two.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sreichelt26
by on May. 10, 2012 at 2:29 AM
4 moms liked this
Average pump output is .5 - 2 oz combined from both breasts. There is no need for you to give formula. She should also only be eating about an ounce per hour from bottle and no more than 3 oz at a time. So 2 oz bottle every 2 hours or 3 oz bottle every 3 hours.

That being said - you don't need to forcus on what your nipple is or isn't doing. It's BREASTfeeding, not nipple feeding. The shaking head side to side is just something they do and she'll grow out of it. I have big boobs and had the nostril problem too. I just held my boob away from her nose with a finger until she got bigger. Laid back nursing and football hold helped too.

If she's having plenty of diapers she's getting enough. Again, no need for formula. Go grab a diaper and pour 4 Tbs of water in it. That's what 1 diaper feels like. More = 2. Poop = 2. All she needs is 6 in 24 hours.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MonicaV1982
by on May. 10, 2012 at 2:49 AM
2 moms liked this

she's probably angry that the flow isn't as fast as the bottle. you are making more than enough! 4-6 oz per feeding is overfeeding.

MonicaV1982
by on May. 10, 2012 at 3:07 AM

baby eats more from a bottle because of the suck swallow reflex. Eat or drown. Easy choice.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 10, 2012 at 5:02 AM
Yes, this!

Quoting MonicaV1982:

she's probably angry that the flow isn't as fast as the bottle. you are making more than enough! 4-6 oz per feeding is overfeeding.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 10, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Nothing wrong with your breast. She's wanting the bottle. And no, she doesn't get to have it if you're right there. Yes, that will piss her off. That's OK. Part of the Mom Gig is regularly pissing off our kids by insisting they do the things that are responsible/healthy/polite/smart... etc. And yeah, it starts from day one!

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on May. 10, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Hide the pump and the bottles and it will all work out!

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on May. 10, 2012 at 5:50 PM
Oh my goodness! You're pumping more than enough! Anything more than 3oz is overfeeding. Formula is not needed whatsoever. She's pissed when you try to latch her because she wants to the bottle, if you don't give in she'll figure it out and get over it. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Needlesmama
by on May. 10, 2012 at 7:02 PM

my DD used to do the unlatch and open mouth thing and then would scream and shake her head from side to side around that age, she is trying to regulate your supply for a growth spurt it sounds like, STOP giving her bottles(especially if you are the one giving them) and no more formula and just let her nurse, if she unlatches relatch and if she is hungry she will feed if not she won't she won't starve herself i promise...it's a phase and they grow out of it but it is frustrating i know.

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on May. 10, 2012 at 7:24 PM
agree with th rest! stop the bottles, no need to pump, and absolutely no need for formula! get rid of them :) As far s nipple goes...I agree dont worry about that. Most likely as ur baby continues to nurse she will pull out ur nipple....and in no way should she be sucking on ur nipple....the nipple get pulled all the way to the back of her mouth and she latched more on the areola part. I will try and get a pic if you want. As far as the nose goes.....the football hold is probably the best hold to avoid this but remember she cant nurse unless she i breathing so I wont worry too much about thats. She will get bigger too and your breast will most likely get smaller as you continue to nurse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)