Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

human pacifier

Posted by on May. 11, 2012 at 8:05 AM
  • 12 Replies
My little guy is using me as a human pacifier. He wakes to eat but just gnaws on me...doesn't suck. It is VERY frustrating. Any tips?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 11, 2012 at 8:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
K8wizzo
by Kate on May. 11, 2012 at 8:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Pacifiers are mom replacement devices... what he's doing is normal.  It keeps your supply up and keeps your period at bay.

However, if you're not okay with that, you could try slipping your boob out and a pacifier in.

jlm425
by on May. 11, 2012 at 8:09 AM
But he needs to eat. If he ate itd be one thing. His last meal was 4 hours ago.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on May. 11, 2012 at 8:22 AM

How old is he?

jlm425
by on May. 11, 2012 at 8:23 AM
Just over 2 weeks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
piwife
by on May. 11, 2012 at 9:07 AM
How r diapers? My baby is about 3 days old. They told me I had to wake her up to eat. Am not am following that I follow her cues. she wants boob she gets boob. Her diaper output is beyond what's expected
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 11, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Often babies who do this are newborns with tongue/lip ties that people have not caught OR theyve had their sucking reflex messed up by pacifiers or bottles.  If they are older its because they are teething and confused as to how to suck with the new feelings in the jaw

jlm425
by on May. 12, 2012 at 2:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Interesting. He does have a slight recessed lower jaw but no one's been concerned about it. He has always had long feedings so i know some of it was comfort feeding. So they had me limit his feedings that eventually led us to giving him the bottle occassionally. now we are back to straight breast, thankfully.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Often babies who do this are newborns with tongue/lip ties that people have not caught OR theyve had their sucking reflex messed up by pacifiers or bottles.  If they are older its because they are teething and confused as to how to suck with the new feelings in the jaw

MonicaV1982
by on May. 12, 2012 at 3:33 AM
how are you assuming he's not eating?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jlm425
by on May. 12, 2012 at 8:29 AM
He doesn't always but definitely has done this. we still have the scale we rented cuz of all of last weeks supposed low weight issues.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 12, 2012 at 12:47 PM

How are the dipes? If you're getting 6 changes per day he's eating enough and you just roll with it.. If not, THEN there's an issue and you need an IBCLC.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN