Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

how to know when to start solids?

Posted by   + Show Post
I know the recommendation is 6 months, but like my dad says "you'll soon realize that every guideline, normality, and recommendation does not apply to your child (laughs) you just need to go with the flow- every kid is different."

My little man will be 5 months on mother's day. He smacks his lips after feedings (from BOTH breasts- wet diaper count is OK). He even tries to intercept my spoon when I'm holding him/ eating oatmeal in the morning. He sits up on his own too. He has been acting like this for about a month..

So, is he ready? Thoughts?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 11, 2012 at 8:22 AM
Replies (11-20):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 11, 2012 at 11:21 AM
3 moms liked this

its internal readiness thats the BIG deal and studies have shown that the gut doesnt even START getting ready til 6 months..thats the earliest that its been sealed

Remember theres no rush to start solids...he needs to be able to feed himself, sit up on his own totally without support and be atleast 6 months.  Forget spoon feeding, that tends to lead to overfeeding becuase babies will often get so excited they ignore their internal messages of being full.  If they self feed it takes work and they will tire of feeding themselves and prevent overfeeding

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 11, 2012 at 11:23 AM

You can tell if theres been some change in gut if poop changes. I noticed that around 6 months my guys poops started looking more solid and formed and the color changed.  I honestly think it was his gut changing and sealing so that he was digesting everything differently.

JasonsMom2007
by on May. 11, 2012 at 11:26 AM
Play it safe. Not knowing any better I followed my sons pedis suggestion and started at 4 months. His gi says that caused his food allergies and to never start before 6 months.

Quoting xomrs.chase:

Yes, but that's "on average." Some could be before that, some after. Just as 6-8 months is average for when teeth come in- yet he got 2 at 4 months lol

Kwim?

So, without scientific testing, how else do I know? Or just play it safe?

I'm not bashing at all and I thank you for your reply. Sometimes I come off as bitchy when I'm tired but I promise I'm not trying to be hahaha

Quoting mamabens:

Google virgin gut  The gut isn't closed until 6 months so I would not give anything until then.  I would start at 6 months & give small soft chunks of whatever you're eating but definitely nothing before 6 months.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by on May. 11, 2012 at 11:30 AM
2 moms liked this

Here are some good links to help you decide on when to introduce solids and what to introduce, once you get there! Hope they help!

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/delay-solids/

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/solids-when/

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/first-foods/

louzannalady
by on May. 11, 2012 at 11:37 AM

I look at this this way. Food is for fun until at year. Babies are supposed to get all of their nutrition from breast milk (or formula), the first year. There really is no need to rush into solids, because from a nutritive stand point, it doesn't do anything for them. Studies show that early introduction of solids (before 6 months) increases the risk of food allergies, obesity and diabetes. What is waiting a few weeks going to do except decrease the chance of complications of early introduction of solids? 

Quoting xomrs.chase:

Yes, but that's "on average." Some could be before that, some after. Just as 6-8 months is average for when teeth come in- yet he got 2 at 4 months lol

Kwim?

So, without scientific testing, how else do I know? Or just play it safe?

I'm not bashing at all and I thank you for your reply. Sometimes I come off as bitchy when I'm tired but I promise I'm not trying to be hahaha

Quoting mamabens:

Google virgin gut  The gut isn't closed until 6 months so I would not give anything until then.  I would start at 6 months & give small soft chunks of whatever you're eating but definitely nothing before 6 months.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

YzmaRocks
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2012 at 12:00 PM
3 moms liked this
My own personal guidelines are as follows:

Baby must...

At least 6 months
Be able to sit well on his own
Have the pincer grasp down well
Have the ability to feed self real solids
Lose the tongue thrust reflex

Only when all these are met do I start solids. I am in no rush since solids are just dessert until 1+ anyway.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TiffanyMarie80
by Tiffany on May. 11, 2012 at 5:51 PM
2 moms liked this

baby is interested in food because you have it, and you are his world, and he loves you and wants to take in everything about you  :)  baby is not interested in food because he is ready to eat it.  My 3 yr old likes to watch me using sharp knives to slice food - does NOT mean he's old enough to pick up a knife and join me  :)

yes, it's possible that his gut is closed already - - -but it's ssomething you can't see or test for.  And since there is no benefit to starting solids early, but there IS a risk, it's better to wait until at least 6 months, and then only with a baby who can sit unassisted, use a pincer grasp, and has lost their tongue thrust reflex  :0

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 11, 2012 at 6:54 PM

This is exactly the point that I was going to make since everyone else already mentioned the rest.

Your baby grabs at your spoon because he is curious, not because he is ready to eat what is on it. Try giving him an empty bowl and a spoon to play with. My son loved that since he got to play with the things that we were playing with. I also gave him a bit of expressed milk on a spoon to test his tongue thrust reflex (pushing anything out of the mouth with the tongue). He still had the reflex, so I knew that his body wasn't ready. 

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

baby is interested in food because you have it, and you are his world, and he loves you and wants to take in everything about you  :)  baby is not interested in food because he is ready to eat it.  My 3 yr old likes to watch me using sharp knives to slice food - does NOT mean he's old enough to pick up a knife and join me  :)

yes, it's possible that his gut is closed already - - -but it's ssomething you can't see or test for.  And since there is no benefit to starting solids early, but there IS a risk, it's better to wait until at least 6 months, and then only with a baby who can sit unassisted, use a pincer grasp, and has lost their tongue thrust reflex  :0

xomrs.chase
by on May. 11, 2012 at 7:06 PM
That's such a fun idea! Thanks!!

Quoting aehanrahan:

This is exactly the point that I was going to make since everyone else already mentioned the rest.

Your baby grabs at your spoon because he is curious, not because he is ready to eat what is on it. Try giving him an empty bowl and a spoon to play with. My son loved that since he got to play with the things that we were playing with. I also gave him a bit of expressed milk on a spoon to test his tongue thrust reflex (pushing anything out of the mouth with the tongue). He still had the reflex, so I knew that his body wasn't ready. 

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 11, 2012 at 7:10 PM
1 mom liked this

You're welcome. I got it either here or from kellymom. It was 4 years ago, so my memore is a little fuzzy. LOL

Quoting xomrs.chase:

That's such a fun idea! Thanks!!

Quoting aehanrahan:

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN