Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Frusturated

Posted by on May. 11, 2012 at 10:53 AM
  • 10 Replies

I am breast feeding my son who is now a week old. He eats all the time and is never satisfied. I asked the dr what to do and he told me to suppliment with some formula and give him some breast milk split it half and half. I dont know what to do I am extreamly upset because I cant just breast feed him and my dr thinks if I just breast feed him he will not gain enough weight and he really needs the formula. Back in the day they never had formula so If i didnt listen to my dr and not put him on formula am I a bad mom. I reall dont want him on formula dont know what to do. UGH

by on May. 11, 2012 at 10:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hriabywx4
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2012 at 10:58 AM
Newborns are NEVER "satisfied! They are needy and fussy and adorable and exhausting! He is telling your body how much milk he needs. Put him to the breast and let him nurse. You can tell if he's getting enough by his dipers out put. 6 dipers per 24 hour period. Poop dipers count as 2. In a few more weeks things will get evened out a bit for you. You are doing a good job! If you are feeling overwhelmed hand baby to SO and take a walk, take a shower, take a nap!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Goofygadget
by on May. 11, 2012 at 11:00 AM
Back in the day they had wetnurses. Formula has seemed to have taken that role over.

That aside, I think its way too early for you to have to consider going to formula. Your baby is only a week old, they don't usually gain their birth weight back until theyre 2 weeks old. Babies that age will just nurse nurse and nurse, its normal. Maybe your doctor is telling you to give formula because you are frustrated but there really isn't anything to be frustrated about at this point. Your baby is doing exactly what she or he is supposed to. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bowhunter2012
by on May. 11, 2012 at 11:01 AM
^^THIS^^ and if you can get a new doc or try to nicely inform him how very wrong he is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Brandnew924
by on May. 11, 2012 at 11:13 AM

I very much know how you feel.  My little boy is only 2 weeks old.  Last night he was up for almost five hours.  hes never satisfied or full.  I don't know what to do either.  My mom finally told me to give him formula and I did and he was good.  He burped and smiled and went right to sleep.  I've been debating on just keeping him on formula.  I'm so frustrated and exhausted and in pain.  I dread everytime I have to feed him.  I'm miserable :(

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on May. 11, 2012 at 11:14 AM
First off, newborns aren't supposed to be satisfied. Never look for satisfied, only count diapers. How many diapers is he having?
And more importantly, find a new doc asap. No doctor, who has any knowledge of breastfeeding, will tell a new mom with a 1 week old to supplement with formula because "baby doesn't seem satisfied".
A fussy baby tells your body to bake that milk! Constant nursing tells your body to make that milk! He's doing his job in establishing your milk supply AND his tummy is still tiny and breastmilk is very quickly and wonderfully digested.
Diaper count is all that matters. It gets better mama, I promise! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on May. 11, 2012 at 11:18 AM
He seemed "good" on formula because it's heavy, stretches their belly, and takes a long time to be digested. Ofcourse it's your choice, but know that it's 100% normal newborn behavior to be fussy and constantly nursing. The first 6 weeks or so are tough, but it gets much better :)
What type of pain are you in? Breastfeeding is not supposed to hurt.

Quoting Brandnew924:

I very much know how you feel.  My little boy is only 2 weeks old.  Last night he was up for almost five hours.  hes never satisfied or full.  I don't know what to do either.  My mom finally told me to give him formula and I did and he was good.  He burped and smiled and went right to sleep.  I've been debating on just keeping him on formula.  I'm so frustrated and exhausted and in pain.  I dread everytime I have to feed him.  I'm miserable :(

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Brandnew924
by on May. 11, 2012 at 11:33 AM

When I breast feed it feels like the inside of my breast is burning.. and my nipples started bleeding so i kept him on one side for awhile.  Someone suggested the nipple shield and that helped alot.  But its still a burning itching pain inside.  And I asked my dr. about it.  They said to take a tylenol.  I asked if that would affect him and they said yeah it may make him sleep a lot.  Plus i keep being told about the tons of different infections you can get, and how you can get thrush and your baby will get it in his mouth. And how after awhile some womens nipples look like hamburger.  And I keep wondering how in the world is this better for both me and him.. If this is suposed to be natural.. why is it so difficult to the point where you need a lactation consultant to feed your baby.  I'm soo confused

hriabywx4
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2012 at 1:00 AM
If a baby nursing makes a nipple "look like hamburger" then baby has a bad latch! That is fixable! Is the burning, itching pain inside constant through out the nursing session or does it happen for a bit then ease up? If it eases then you may be feeling letdown. In my personal experience letdown in the first few weeks is intense. A proper latch doesnt cause pain or tear up nipples. Some discomfort in the first few days/weeks isnt uncommon but mom and baby are both learning. If your nipples are bleeding it sounds like LO may have a poor latch. Is there anyone (an LC, a Le Leche League leader) that could help you with latching?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heathercm26
by on May. 13, 2012 at 1:17 AM
It sounds like you are doing a great job! Your baby isnt satisfied with life now because he is no longer in a tight warm wet world. He is in a cold dry open world. He bas had such a big change.

First off i have never heard your baby will be effected at all from you taking tylenol.

If your nipples arent feeling raw ( like when you forget a bra and then your t shirt rubs em all day) your baby has a good latch. More than likely.

That burning itching is how my let down felt when baby was a week or so.. it gets way better after you regulate.

Your baby will likely gain less then a formula baby....he will gain naturally rather than getting fat on formula. That is fine.

It sounds like your pedi doesnt know that much about bf. Mine didnt. They refer you to the lac consultant cuz they just dont know.

You should see about 1 to 2 sucks per swallow when baby is feeding and less swallowing when baby is comfort nursing.

If it hurts when baby is nursing, ( not let down) like someone twisting your nipple it coukd be a tongue tie.

Bottom line is baby sounds normal. You sound dedicated. Just keep going. Its going fine and normal. Formulas r not for you if you dont want it. Babys tummy is only the size of a cherry at this point. It emptys quick. Thats fine too.

Good job mama! Happy mothers day!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 13, 2012 at 3:06 PM

First step to ending your confusion: FIRE THAT DOCTOR before he kills you or your baby. OK, maybe not kill but he's doing considerable harm! Disregard what he's told you.

Quoting Brandnew924:

When I breast feed it feels like the inside of my breast is burning.. and my nipples started bleeding so i kept him on one side for awhile. 

OK. Blood isn't a problem for baby, just FYI... Sounds like you have thrush. Please look up the thrush info on kellymom, including treatments that will work better than anything doc gives.

Someone suggested the nipple shield and that helped alot.  But its still a burning itching pain inside.  And I asked my dr. about it.  They said to take a tylenol. 

Yeah... that's like taking a baby aspirin for a raging migraine. Nope nope nope. See my above comment.

I asked if that would affect him and they said yeah it may make him sleep a lot.  Plus i keep being told about the tons of different infections you can get, and how you can get thrush and your baby will get it in his mouth. And how after awhile some womens nipples look like hamburger.  And I keep wondering how in the world is this better for both me and him.. If this is suposed to be natural.. why is it so difficult to the point where you need a lactation consultant to feed your baby.  I'm soo confused

Used to be you had your MOM to help you. Or your sister. Lactation consultants have taken their place because we've lost so much knowledge. I mean, how good is childbirth of you have to go to a hospital for it? Perhaps we should just grow 'em all in test tubes and never do childbirth again?

Well, of course not. We need to relearn what we knew.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)