Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

When baby starts eating solids frequently

Posted by on May. 11, 2012 at 6:24 PM
  • 5 Replies

How do you know when he/she wants BM? I was reading up on baby led solids, and it says to still let the baby have BM when they want to even if their diet consists of mostly solids... so how do you know? I am still pregnant with my little girl, but this is my first baby.

pregnancy calendar

Photobucket

by on May. 11, 2012 at 6:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 11, 2012 at 7:08 PM

In the beginning, solids are not given separately from nursing. They should be given immediately after nursing so the baby gets all of the needed nutrition from the milk and solids don't fill her up. As solids increase, you will still follow your baby's cues for nursing. My son was still nursing more than eating solids at 18 months. I knew when he wanted to nurse and when he wanted food. He asked in different ways.

bmack2107
by on May. 11, 2012 at 7:26 PM

So basically, I will learn her different cues for certain things? 

Quoting aehanrahan:

In the beginning, solids are not given separately from nursing. They should be given immediately after nursing so the baby gets all of the needed nutrition from the milk and solids don't fill her up. As solids increase, you will still follow your baby's cues for nursing. My son was still nursing more than eating solids at 18 months. I knew when he wanted to nurse and when he wanted food. He asked in different ways.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 11, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Yep! My son let us know when he wanted more to eat than what he was getting previously. there was no mistaking it. 

melindabelcher
by mel on May. 11, 2012 at 7:51 PM
Before one year breastmilk is always immediately before solids. With baby led solids your allowing baby to tell you when theyre ready for solids (after 6 months) and how much they'll eat. By using solids instead of purees baby will control their food intake better.
After one year you can continue offering before solids or not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on May. 11, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Until baby is one year old, always offer the breast right before offering solids. After one year, just follow baby's lead. You'll know when she wants to nurse :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN