Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Here's a new and odd question...

Posted by on May. 11, 2012 at 6:46 PM
  • 14 Replies

So, I've been thinking lately...I didn't bf dd#2 for more than 3 or 4 months (she's 4 now), and I'm thinking about expressing some milk (I have to do it by hand, since I can't pump) and seeing if she will drink it. Does that sound wierd? I think it would be good for her, and she's been without bm for WAY too long, so she doesn't remember how to bf, obviously. Thoughts? I'm not looking for any bashing, only serious opinions, please.

boy n girl~Nightrose~twin girls

Mom to Rose (7), Joe (6), Belle (4), & Olivia (3).

by on May. 11, 2012 at 6:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Elyssa414
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2012 at 6:50 PM
My 5 year old wanted to try it, and I expressed some onto a spoon for him! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TiffanyMarie80
by Tiffany on May. 11, 2012 at 6:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Not weird at all  :)  I used to pump milk for a gal from my church - she was going through cancer treatments and used 6 ounces of breastmilk a day in a smoothie to help with the side effects.  I see no reason NOT to give your older child some of the good stuff  :)

MommaTasha1003
by on May. 11, 2012 at 6:53 PM

If your wanting to do it, it doesnt hurt to try... No it doesnt sound weird.. My only thing would be is would all the work be worth it? Like Id understand if she had a cold or whatever, BM would help relieve that.. But how often does a 4yo need BM so that it would be beneficial & worth the time..

McMomma3
by on May. 11, 2012 at 6:53 PM
I tried sneaking it to my seven year old, who has nutritional issues, but he didn't like it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sreichelt26
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2012 at 6:56 PM

I don't think it's weird at all. No weirder than giving her cow's breastmilk :)

lilydoyle
by on May. 11, 2012 at 7:02 PM

My dd#2 and ds are always sick; their dad never gives them their allergy or asthma meds. That's one of the reasons I'm thinking about giving Belle (and maybe Joe) bm. I just wish I could pump! Then I'd be able to build up a supply faster. Ugh. Thank you ladies. Oh, and my dd#1 wanted to try some bm when she was 4, but she said 'It makes my mouth dry, momma.' lol

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 11, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Nope, not weird at all!

MommyOfTheBest2
by on May. 11, 2012 at 7:51 PM
I personally think it's weird, but that's me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on May. 11, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Sorry to break it to you honey but your question is neither new nor odd :-)

I've seen it asked on here more times than I can count!

Considering that the "natural" age of weaning is between 2-5 yrs (or 2.5-7yrs depending on which study you look at), there is nothing weird at all about giving your 4 yr old breastmilk. Lots of 4 yr olds are still breastfeeding.

Isn't it funny that no one thinks twice about giving their preschool aged child milk from a cow, a completely different speicies, but some people get all squeemish about taht child drinking *gasp* HUMAN milk.

maggiandmike
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2012 at 7:57 PM
Not a new or odd question! Haha. When I brought my third baby home from the hospital, my second daughter( who had been weaned for a little under a year) came home frome my sisters with a horrible cough. I wanted to give her some of my pumped colostrum but hubby said it was weird. I told him that if she didn't get better, then I'd only do it once. I gave her two ounces and her cough was practically gone by the next morning. Hubby changed his mind real quick! If it helps your child, why not?!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)