Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Pumping after babes are born?

Posted by   + Show Post
I'm pregnant with twins and I've been talking to an LC that leads my local LLL meetings and an IBCLC to help prepare myself (had a rough start with my singleton and hoping to avoid that rocky road this time around). Anyhow, the two wonderful women that i have been talking to are encouraging me to BF as much as possible and to start pumping to get my milk in faster...starting in the hospital. However, a friend of mine was told to not use a pump at all until her son was 2-3 weeks old. I'm a bit confused by this. I'm assuming she misunderstood what she was told and her LC just meant to stay away from bottle feeding that early? Is thers any harm in pumping to get your milk to come in faster so long as you are not bottle feeding what you express?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 12, 2012 at 3:02 AM
Replies (11-12):
MamaCeleste0722
by Celeste on May. 12, 2012 at 8:20 PM

And coming from another twin mom, I agree 100% :) 

Good luck! 

Quoting carolyntx:

There's no for sure answer, but to me, and coming from a twin mom, nothing brought on my supply like when I was finally able to get both babies to breast. the pump will not stimulate supply like those babies :)

Sounds like you'll be blessed to have big healthy twins and I'd say just go at ebfing to begin with, watch diapers. If you're super worried about having to supplement just pump once or twice a day to have incase or to build freezer stash, but unless there are feeding issues there should be no need. Keep us updated!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

myerslisa2
by on May. 12, 2012 at 8:31 PM
I don't have twins but I like to pump a little off from the get-go to have a store.

With my last I had massive over supply and donated milk to the Austin milk bank. I plan on donating milk again.

My baby is 8 days old and I am now pumping like an ounce or two off a day. After 6 weeks im hoping to have a pretty good store so DH can feed the baby too. But we have 5 kids so its easier for me to do that.

Its all about what's best for you and your family.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)