Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

need some advice....

Posted by on May. 12, 2012 at 8:15 PM
  • 11 Replies

ok so first off my son is five weeks old. i have two older boys but this is the first baby i have breastfed so its very new to me and alot of it confuses me. well he was born 4 and a half weeks early and was in the nicu for five days. while he was in there i pumped and then once he came home i nursed him exclusively for the whole first month.

my nipples starting getting cracked to the point of leaking blood and scabbing over so i tried nipple creams, neosporin, airing them out, breastmilkand nothing was working. so i made the decision to stop nursing him and just pump to see if they would heal. before i stopped when he eats he would be gulping the milk and be satisfied and when i would pump i would get anywhere between 2-4oz per side. well i had to start giving him formula because pumping was getting harder and harder. i would get 1/2-2oz total in the morning and nothing the rest of the day. so he as been having what i pump in the morning and then formula the rest of the day for the past week. my nipples are finally healing and i even started putting him back on the breast. he used to only nurse one side at a time and now he is nursing on both but will scream after a couple minutes of starting and i cant hear him gulping anymore. i fear my supply is almost gone. i have been taking fenugreek and drinking milkmaid tea and so far its not helping.

what can i do to try and boost my supply back up? i really wanna get him back to breastfeeding full time and off the formula but he screams after a couple minutes. i hear there is a perscription to help with supply so do you think i should ask my doctor for it? or do you think it will eventually go back up on its own?

by on May. 12, 2012 at 8:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 12, 2012 at 8:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting december_mama:

ok so first off my son is five weeks old. i have two older boys but this is the first baby i have breastfed so its very new to me and alot of it confuses me. well he was born 4 and a half weeks early and was in the nicu for five days. while he was in there i pumped and then once he came home i nursed him exclusively for the whole first month.

my nipples starting getting cracked to the point of leaking blood and scabbing over so i tried nipple creams, neosporin, airing them out, breastmilkand nothing was working.this is when you see an IBCLC, if it hurts that bad something is wrong, baby may be tongue or lip tied, latch is wrong somehow so i made the decision to stop nursing him and just pump to see if they would healoh my...a nipple shield would be better and solving the issue...just future knowledge. before i stopped when he eats he would be gulping the milk and be satisfied and when i would pump i would get anywhere between 2-4oz per side.thats ALOT of milk...thats like 8oz a session WOW thats 8 hours worth of milk! well i had to start giving him formula because pumping was getting harder and harder.yeah exclusively pumping is HARD, how often were you pumping? with what pump? i would get 1/2-2oz total in the morning and nothing the rest of the dayYEP some moms just dont respond to the pump. so he as been having what i pump in the morning and then formula the rest of the day for the past week. my nipples are finally healing and i even started putting him back on the breast. he used to only nurse one side at a time and now he is nursing on both but will scream after a couple minutes of starting and i cant hear him gulping anymore.he doesnt NEED to gulp, gulping is letdown and he is so used to the fast flow of the bottle the slower flow is upsetting him i fear my supply is almost gone. i have been taking fenugreek and drinking milkmaid tea and so far its not helping.because its most likely a flow preference thing not a supply issue.  EBF and count diapers if you see 6 a day toatl in 24 hours wet or messy then your supply is fine

what can i do to try and boost my supply back up?nurse i really wanna get him back to breastfeeding full time and off the formula but he screams after a couple minutes.flow preference, this is why we say no bottles this young... i hear there is a perscription to help with supply so do you think i should ask my doctor for it?nope not yet or do you think it will eventually go back up on its own?I think its most likely JUST fine

Be stubborn and stick with it...give it 24 hours and nurse nurse nurse, massage to get a faster flow while nursing but NO bottles and watch diapers

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 12, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Tabi covered it pretty well.

december_mama
by Member on May. 12, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Quoting december_mama:

my nipples starting getting cracked to the point of leaking blood and scabbing over so i tried nipple creams, neosporin, airing them out, breastmilkand nothing was working.this is when you see an IBCLC, if it hurts that bad something is wrong, baby may be tongue or lip tied, latch is wrong somehow i have seen one. she said his latch was perfect and she was also the one who told me to try the different things to help the cracks so i made the decision to stop nursing him and just pump to see if they would healoh my...a nipple shield would be better and solving the issue...just future knowledge i did try a nipple shild and it made it worse. i tried the all the different sizes and brands. before i stopped when he eats he would be gulping the milk and be satisfied and when i would pump i would get anywhere between 2-4oz per side.thats ALOT of milk...thats like 8oz a session WOW thats 8 hours worth of milk! well i had to start giving him formula because pumping was getting harder and harder.yeah exclusively pumping is HARD, how often were you pumping? with what pump? i was pumping no later then every 3 hours and with a medela freestyle double pump i would get 1/2-2oz total in the morning and nothing the rest of the dayYEP some moms just dont respond to the pump i also tried hand expressing and would still get the same amount in the morning and zero the rest of the day. so he as been having what i pump in the morning and then formula the rest of the day for the past week. my nipples are finally healing and i even started putting him back on the breast. he used to only nurse one side at a time and now he is nursing on both but will scream after a couple minutes of starting and i cant hear him gulping anymore.he doesnt NEED to gulp, gulping is letdown and he is so used to the fast flow of the bottle the slower flow is upsetting him i fear my supply is almost gone. i have been taking fenugreek and drinking milkmaid tea and so far its not helping.because its most likely a flow preference thing not a supply issue.  EBF and count \diapers if you see 6 a day toatl in 24 hours wet or messy then your supply is fine\

what can i do to try and boost my supply back up?nurse i really wanna get him back to breastfeeding full time and off the formula but he screams after a couple minutes.flow preference, this is why we say no bottles this young...i hear there is a prescription to help with supply so do you think i should ask my doctor for it?nope not yet or do you think it will eventually go back up on its own?I think its most likely JUST fine

Be stubborn and stick with it...give it 24 hours and nurse nurse nurse, massage to get a faster flow while nursing but NO bottles and watch diapers i will try that. thanks.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 12, 2012 at 9:08 PM

And find a different lactation consultant.... the one you had did you no good.

december_mama
by Member on May. 12, 2012 at 9:19 PM
She was the hospitals lactation consultant.

Quoting gdiamante:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyOfTheBest2
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2012 at 9:23 PM
That doesn't mean she's good! I've seen tons of ladies on here get bad advice from their hospital LC. It couldn't hurt to get a second opinion on his latch :-)

Quoting december_mama:

Quoting gdiamante:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
december_mama
by Member on May. 12, 2012 at 9:26 PM
I know it doesn't mean shes the best. I went to her cause the hospital provides consultations for free for a year. So I went there so I didn't have to pay to see one. I'll look into finding someone else.

Quoting MommyOfTheBest2:

That doesn't mean she's good! I've seen tons of ladies on here get bad advice from their hospital LC. It couldn't hurt to get a second opinion on his latch :-)

Quoting december_mama:

Quoting gdiamante:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyOfTheBest2
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2012 at 10:36 PM
Good luck!

Quoting december_mama:

I know it doesn't mean shes the best. I went to her cause the hospital provides consultations for free for a year. So I went there so I didn't have to pay to see one. I'll look into finding someone else.

Quoting MommyOfTheBest2:

Quoting december_mama:

Quoting gdiamante:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 12, 2012 at 11:07 PM
Has your baby been checked for a tongue tie? If the latch looked good but you were still having pain and cracking, there was something wrong that can't be seen and is most likely a tongue tie.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
december_mama
by Member on May. 12, 2012 at 11:22 PM
He hasn't been checked for one. He has a weight check Monday. I'll have his doctor look

Quoting aehanrahan:

Has your baby been checked for a tongue tie? If the latch looked good but you were still having pain and cracking, there was something wrong that can't be seen and is most likely a tongue tie.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)