Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I'm 27 weeks into my first pregnancy, my milk started coming in about a month ago. I get intense pain that doesn't supside until they start leaking on their own or I just squeeze them, would expressing relieve this pain?? Also I am extremely worried I wont be able to supply my son after he's born since I'm returning to work (I'm not working during my pregnancy). A couple of ppl has suggested pumping and freezing now while I have the time and to relieve engorgement I'd rather have an oversupply then an undersupply. What do you think?? Is this a good idea?

Lilypie Maternity tickers
by on May. 12, 2012 at 11:35 PM
Replies (11-12):
collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on May. 12, 2012 at 11:54 PM
Warm to the touch? At this point, I may be worried about it possibly turning into mastitis because you have been expressing.

If you feel a hard spot, you may need to take a hot shower (only as hot as pregnancy allows) & express enough to make it soft. You may need to repeat....only express enough to be comfortable, the more you express the more you will make, making another hard spot.

If you feel like you have the flu (fever, cold chills, etx) or see a purple/black & blue spot, call your OB. That may be mastitis (caused by expressing the colostrum).

Quoting 1stpreggers:

Quoting ConnorMom228:

You don't have milk yet. It's only colostrum. An pumping while pregnant is a very bad idea. Too much can cause preterm labor. You don't want that.

Milk only comes in AFTER baby is born. There is no real supply right now. A lot of women grow boobs while pregnant and aren't used to the size. And a lot of women leak during pregnancy. Just use nursing pads. And the pain could just be the sudden growth. NOT engorgement.

My cup sized hasnt changed since about 22 weeks, I thought it was engorgment because (TMI) they get extremely warm to the touch and my viens bulge. Is there anything to do for the pain ? Ive tried warm showers but it doesn't make a difference.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1stpreggers
by on May. 13, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Quoting collinsmommy0:

Warm to the touch? At this point, I may be worried about it possibly turning into mastitis because you have been expressing.

If you feel a hard spot, you may need to take a hot shower (only as hot as pregnancy allows) & express enough to make it soft. You may need to repeat....only express enough to be comfortable, the more you express the more you will make, making another hard spot.

If you feel like you have the flu (fever, cold chills, etx) or see a purple/black & blue spot, call your OB. That may be mastitis (caused by expressing the colostrum).

Quoting 1stpreggers:

Quoting ConnorMom228:

You don't have milk yet. It's only colostrum. An pumping while pregnant is a very bad idea. Too much can cause preterm labor. You don't want that.

Milk only comes in AFTER baby is born. There is no real supply right now. A lot of women grow boobs while pregnant and aren't used to the size. And a lot of women leak during pregnancy. Just use nursing pads. And the pain could just be the sudden growth. NOT engorgement.

My cup sized hasnt changed since about 22 weeks, I thought it was engorgment because (TMI) they get extremely warm to the touch and my viens bulge. Is there anything to do for the pain ? Ive tried warm showers but it doesn't make a difference.

I haven't a temp or any flu like symptoms or hard spots. Ive had discoloration though (looks like freckles)I haven't been expressing a lot and Ive been throwing it away.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)