Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

New to Breastfeeding, Lots of Questions.

Posted by on May. 13, 2012 at 4:51 PM
  • 9 Replies

Hi my name is Leslie,

I'm currently 25 weeks 2 days preggers! I'm going to be breastfeeding. This will be my first BF child, my daughter who is now 14 was not breastfed. I want to do everything I can to ensure I am successful in BF-ing my new baby girl . Is there anything I should be doing to prepare myself and my breasts for this exciting adventure? Anything that is a must read or have? Thank you all in advance for your advise.

by on May. 13, 2012 at 4:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mommyof4662
by on May. 13, 2012 at 4:54 PM

If you ur nipples get sore by the cream by meddela.Also try different postions if they wont latch right,oh and buy a boppy

boysrablessing
by on May. 13, 2012 at 5:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Buy soothies. They are gel breast pads that you can actually attatch to ur boob! No bra needed which is good during the hosp stay and they have stuff to sooth and heal cracked or raw nipples.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sreichelt26
by Gold Member on May. 13, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Get the book "So That's What They're There For" and bookmark kellymom.com

No need to prepare your breasts, unless you have flat/inverted nipples. Then you can get nipple shells (not shields, shells) to wear in your bra starting now.

Congrats and good luck! Stick around and read the posts, and feel free to ask any question, no matter how silly you might think it sounds.

mamabens
by Miranda on May. 13, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Read & get educated. Being in this group is the first step. Know that most dr's say they are bfing friendly but are very bfing ignorant, there are FEW  meds that you can truely not bf while taking  so do not go by a dr or pharmacist instead google lactmed & look there or n Dr Thomas Hale's book Medications & Mother's Milk.(I found mine cheap at Half price books) There is nothing you need/should do to your breasts to prepare. Putting breastmilk on your nipples & letting them air dry can help as much as lanolin & is free. The books "So That's what they're for" & "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" are  musts imo. Attitude is very important too, imo. Go into it with the attitude of 'the only thing stopping me is my breasts falling off' & not I'll try & you can succeed.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 13, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Learn learn learn. The above mentioned references are good resources. Better to have a head full of knowledge than a nursery full of stuff. Baby doesn't care if the nursery is Winnie the Pooh or World Of Warcraft... baby just wants to eat!

BabyLucasMom
by on May. 13, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Take a BF class, ask all your questions. Then practice with baby :)

KylersMom8-16-7
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2012 at 7:10 PM
Well first congrats! I am breastfeeding my third son but its my first time being successful.

The biggest thing is be positive. You can do it. It may not be easy but with knowledge and support you can get through any rough patch. Don't accept bottles or formula. Don't allow your baby to get formula, sugar water, or pacifiers in the hospital. If you need to introduce pacifiers/bottles wait 6 weeks minimum. If you have a problem with painful latch get help ASAP from an Lactation Consultant or find a local Le Leche League chapter. The ladies here can help too.

Nurse on demand, as long as baby wants. Baby will nurse a lot, this is normal! The only way to know if baby is getting enough is diaper count (1 for each day of life,day 1=1,day 2=2, and so on, and 6-8+ after a week) and weight gain(baby will lose up to 12% of weight and should gain it back in 2-4weeks.)

Things I could not live without...
*Washable nursing pads
*Lots of camisoles/thin strapped tanks for under my shirts(double shirt method for descreet but uncovered nursing)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
daddysgirl0788
by on May. 14, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Thank you all for your advice and support. I ordered "So that's what they're for" on Amazon today and will get the other one later this week. I will deff be following the posts and I'm sure you will be hearing from me again. Thanks Ladies!!!!!!!!!!

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 14, 2012 at 5:53 PM
Perfect! Bookmark kellymom.com like someone else mentioned. It is my go-to site for breastfeeding information (and for many others here). Feel free to come here and ask anything and everything that comes to mind. We will help and support you through your journey. Congratulations and welcome to the group! :-)

Quoting daddysgirl0788:

Thank you all for your advice and support. I ordered "So that's what they're for" on Amazon today and will get the other one later this week. I will deff be following the posts and I'm sure you will be hearing from me again. Thanks Ladies!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)