Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Cleveland Clinic: "should new mothers embrace breastfeeding?"

Posted by on May. 14, 2012 at 1:51 AM
  • 7 Replies
This is their question on their Facebook page. Just 2 days ago I was posting here about how less than 17% of one year-old babies in Ohio are breastfed, and what a great position the good old Cleveland Clinic is in to promote breastfeeding as a health issue. The replies are mostly in support of breastfeeding, with the usual "my formula baby is healthier" and "don't make anyone feel guilty" posts. And a comment about how it should be pumped into a cup.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 14, 2012 at 1:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on May. 14, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 14, 2012 at 10:15 AM

I hate that "don't make anyone feel guilty" line. If you feel guilt then you musta killed someone. No? Then don't waste the emotional energy on GUILT.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on May. 14, 2012 at 10:44 AM
2 moms liked this
Sadly, most of the moms posting had breastfeeding problems that could have likely been managed, but doctors turned them onto formula. That is EXACTLY where the medical community (and that sure includes YOU, Cleveland Clinic) needs to step up and help those moms who WANT to succeed at breastfeeding.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveMyDog
by Member on May. 14, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Every mom should go into motherhood thinking that she will breast feed to at least one year and IF she has a problem she should be given accurate help and support to make it to 1 year. Every OB ped and OB or Ped nurse should be fully trained in breastfeeding.  Mom's who refuse to consider breastfeeding should be questioned as to why and offered counceling to "get over their hang ups."  Of course I also think every c-section and episiotomy should be reviewed by a board of midwives, and doctors who are knife happy should be asked to leave the profession.  But hey that is me.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 14, 2012 at 1:46 PM
1 mom liked this
I hate it too.
Plus, just the MENTION of breastfeeding makes others "feel guilty" but it is ok for others to say that breastfeeding is "gross" or "wrong" after whatever age.

Quoting gdiamante:

I hate that "don't make anyone feel guilty" line. If you feel guilt then you musta killed someone. No? Then don't waste the emotional energy on GUILT.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaCeleste0722
by Celeste on May. 14, 2012 at 2:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I find this very frustrating as well. Any mention about breastfeeding, it's "But you're making me feel guilty! What about moms who can't breastfeed!" but those same moms will turn around and call other moms disgusting and gross for nursing. 

Quoting aehanrahan:

I hate it too.
Plus, just the MENTION of breastfeeding makes others "feel guilty" but it is ok for others to say that breastfeeding is "gross" or "wrong" after whatever age.

Quoting gdiamante:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

catholicmamamia
by on May. 14, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Yes, absolutely.  

Quoting MamaCeleste0722: I find this very frustrating as well. Any mention about breastfeeding, it's "But you're making me feel guilty! What about moms who can't breastfeed!" but those same moms will turn around and call other moms disgusting and gross for nursing. 
Quoting aehanrahan: I hate it too. Plus, just the MENTION of breastfeeding makes others "feel guilty" but it is ok for others to say that breastfeeding is "gross" or "wrong" after whatever age.

Quoting gdiamante: I hate that "don't make anyone feel guilty" line. If you feel guilt then you musta killed someone. No? Then don't waste the emotional energy on GUILT.

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  and share advice on breastfeeding, babywearing, 
        bedsharing, non-cio. gentle discipline, and natural foods, health, and cleaners! ♥

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)