Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I'm afraid the end is nearer than I'm ready for :(

Posted by on May. 14, 2012 at 4:31 PM
  • 16 Replies
Juju will be 2 June 19th. 2 is my minimum goal for bf and self-weaning after that. This Sunday was my bday, so my mom took me out on our annual shopping extravaganza on Saturday. We were gone 7 hours - the longest I've ever been away from him... And he was FINE! He had a great day playing with daddy and grandpa. He didn't nap but played happily until his 930 bedtime. The next day we went to a mother's day brunch at a museum and gardens and he didn't nurse the whole time. Didn't nurse until 2pm after he fell asleep in the car and I woke him up to visit my grandparents. At the museum and grandparents' there was just so much going on and lots of food he just didn't want to nurse. He didn't ask and I didn't offer.

When we got home, he nursed a TON (thank goodness! I was ready to explode!) but it was so sad that he COULD go that long. I mean, it's good and sad, kwim? Well, I'm in no rush so we'll just let him do his thing. He's nursing in his sleep now, so I know he still loves his numnums!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 14, 2012 at 4:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by mel on May. 14, 2012 at 5:10 PM
Could be close or a long time away. My daughter is still nursing at 30 months and she has gone over a day without nursing and lately shes been nursing 3-5x a day
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TTC2Long
by Gina on May. 14, 2012 at 5:13 PM
Well that makes me feel better! Thanks!

Quoting melindabelcher:

Could be close or a long time away. My daughter is still nursing at 30 months and she has gone over a day without nursing and lately shes been nursing 3-5x a day
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 14, 2012 at 5:15 PM
1 mom liked this

My kiddo has done that, too.  There's just so much to do, so much to see!  :)  We're about to hit the 4 year mark - and he nurses on average 3 times a day.  Some days, none at all, and some days, way too much!  :)  

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on May. 14, 2012 at 5:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I know what you mean! Don't worry too much about it, I'm sure you have ATLEAST one more year of breastfeding :)

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on May. 14, 2012 at 5:38 PM
You can always offer :-)
My 3 year old was down to 3 nusings a day by 18 months and still wouldn't self wean by the time he turned 3 like I wanted.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TTC2Long
by Gina on May. 14, 2012 at 5:44 PM
1 mom liked this
I could offer. The one time he did nurse midday Sunday was because I offered. We were both just so busy neither of us thought of it at the time. And Saturday I missed him so much and my boobs swelled every time I heard a baby cry or laugh, but, hey, mama needed to shop! Lol. I know he's at the age where this is a good and appropriate thing, especially since he tolerated it so well... But it makes me sad anyway! :( and :)

Quoting larissalarie:

You can always offer :-)

My 3 year old was down to 3 nusings a day by 18 months and still wouldn't self wean by the time he turned 3 like I wanted.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shortyali
by Alicia on May. 14, 2012 at 6:57 PM
I hear you. Olivia hasn't asked to nurse in over a week and everytime I've offered she said no. I'm thinking it has more to do with the fact in 12 weeks prego than her age (22 months).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 14, 2012 at 9:55 PM

I wouldn't worry much about it. At this age mine could and did go 24 hours at a time without nursing. Don't call it weaning till it's been a week. They're so contrary this way.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 15, 2012 at 12:27 AM
I'm not calling it until it has been a month or more. Johnathan has gone two weeks while away at his dad's and still nurses occasionally. I have to offer most of the time. He says no when he doesn't want it and nurses when he does want.

Quoting gdiamante:

I wouldn't worry much about it. At this age mine could and did go 24 hours at a time without nursing. Don't call it weaning till it's been a week. They're so contrary this way.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on May. 15, 2012 at 1:02 AM
1 mom liked this
When my youngest here turned 2, I was separated from her for 5 days while one of my other kids was in the hospital, and she picked it back up like nothing happened. And now she's 33 months and still nursing 2 times a day, give or take. You never know. I agree that I would have to see a month go by before I could label a child "weaned" ;-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)