Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Any of you mommas work nights while nursing?

Posted by on May. 14, 2012 at 4:46 PM
  • 8 Replies
My baby is 4 mos.. I will be going back to nights 3 12 hr shifts a week. Just wondering how it might affect my baby?? He nurses to sleep and we co sleep so anytime he wakes up I feed him... How will it affect my supply? Please help :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 14, 2012 at 4:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
melindabelcher
by mel on May. 14, 2012 at 4:53 PM
Pump every 3 hrs at work. Leave 12-15oz. we only fed my daughter 2oz bottles overnight because we felt that must mimic her typical feeding pattern. Hubby would just put her in bed with me at her bed time she nursed to sleep, I went to work and he took over. There shouldn't be a difference of your supply
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama02040608
by on May. 14, 2012 at 5:16 PM
I worked nights with all 4 of my kids and it didn't affect my supply whatsoever. I fed at 5, pumped at 9,1, & 5 and nursed when I got home again. I was lucky enough to not have to do daycare so I could sleep; my DH or grandma brought baby to me to nurse on demand in bed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy2bRN007
by Member on May. 14, 2012 at 6:45 PM
Thankfully this is what my husband and mom will be doing for me too :)
I'm just worried baby is going to get really upset with me not being there at night...

Quoting mama02040608:

I worked nights with all 4 of my kids and it didn't affect my supply whatsoever. I fed at 5, pumped at 9,1, & 5 and nursed when I got home again. I was lucky enough to not have to do daycare so I could sleep; my DH or grandma brought baby to me to nurse on demand in bed.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama02040608
by on May. 14, 2012 at 7:14 PM
It will be hard at first for your DH/mom so be prepared. But they will find their own way of soothing baby. It just takes time. I know my DH was very frustrated at first all 4 times, but baby figured things out pretty fast and things went smoother after that.

Quoting mommy2bRN007:

I'm just worried baby is going to get really upset with me not being there at night...

Quoting mama02040608:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyOfTheBest2
by on May. 14, 2012 at 7:14 PM
I work nights and some are 12s. Your baby will be just fine! My dh says my little girl actually sleeps better when I'm not at home lol. My supply is great and I've never had any issues. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
motheram
by Angie on May. 14, 2012 at 9:02 PM
Oh you're going to be just fine! My baby is almost one, and I've been back at work overnight for almost 8 months now. I'm not lucky enough to have someone home during the day, so I've had to do it while sending the baby to daycare. Recently I began working all weekends to minimize the need for daycare, and it got instantly easier!

Quoting mommy2bRN007:

Quoting mama02040608:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
motheram
by Angie on May. 14, 2012 at 9:06 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention that my son has established a special, early relationship with my husband that my older two didn't have until their toddler years. I honestly believe it's because my husband was forced to connect, bond, and comfort him in my absence during the night. It was rough on them both for about a week, but now they've got it all figured out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rainray2
by on May. 15, 2012 at 3:58 PM
I work 3-12s like you an my baby will be 5 months on the 26th. It has been an easy transition. I pump at least 3x at work, sometimes I'm able to squeeze in a 4th.
My baby sleeps really well now so there's times she only takes one bottle while I'm gone. (it's usually 2 or 3 though).
I haven't had any supply issues thanks to my pump and frequent pumping.
Hope your first day back goes well!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)