Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

My 4wk Lo hasn't gained weight! HELP

Posted by on May. 14, 2012 at 9:20 PM
  • 21 Replies
My lil girl is 4wks old n hasn't gained n e thing! And her ped thinks my milk isn't nutritious enough for her? Wtf, I've never heard of this!

She was 8lbs 2oz at birth, 7.10 when we left the hosp., 7.13 at her 1wk appt, 8.2 at 2 wks, and then has been teetering right at 8lbs ever since :( I ebf, bf on demand, she has silent reflux (little to no vomiting n on meds), 6-10 diapers per day, dark/deep yellow poops, and very loud audible bowel sounds. She is healthy in appearance, muscle tone, n mile stones. She is very happy usually n hardly fusses much.
Her Ped. Wants me to supplement which can make GERD worse! I don't want to supplement! I have ebf-ed 2 other children up to around 1 1/2. Help! I can't understand why she isn't gaining!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 14, 2012 at 9:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by mel on May. 14, 2012 at 9:23 PM
Same scale and clothes?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Daynaof3
by on May. 14, 2012 at 9:26 PM
Any possibility of a tongue or lip tie? Possibility of a dairy issue? Reflux alone can cause trouble with gain but lets look at her nursing patterns. How often is she nursing? Is she nursing effectively, how is her suck? Is her latch comfortable for you? Do you have oversupply? Very rarely babies of moms with oversupply will actually have issues with gaining but it's a possibility. Have you been working with an IBCLC?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littleleesmom
by on May. 14, 2012 at 9:32 PM

some babies do not gain much really fast as long as her diapers are wet and not dark in color i would not supplement if she starts losing then i would worry

sreichelt26
by on May. 14, 2012 at 9:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm concerned that she's already on meds for silent reflux - that could be the source of the weight gain problem.

My dd had it too, and then it developed into full blown reflux. I also had overactive letdown/oversupply (which is often the true cause of the "reflux") I fixed the oversupply and treated dd with chiropractic adjustments. Instant fix. Whenever she started spitting up again, we got her adjusted again (about once a month).

Your milk is perfect for her - that comment, added to your pedi putting her on meds so soon really concerns me.

amyjane22
by Member on May. 14, 2012 at 10:12 PM

My son was 8'6" at birth, 7'11" at hospital discharge, and 7'10" at his 2 week check up.  I had to have weekly check ups after that and he finally got to his birthweight at his 4 week appointment.  Thankfully, my pedi didn't push for formula since my son looked and acted perfectly healthy (like your daughter). I think our issue was that he is slightly tongue tied, which caused him to not get as much milk and for me to have excruciating pain when he nursed.  If I were you, I'd just keep nursing on demand and she should gain the weight.  If she's healthy, that's what matters.  Is the medicine helping her reflux?

tsmcconnell
by on May. 14, 2012 at 10:14 PM
Same scale and naked

Quoting melindabelcher:

Same scale and clothes?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tsmcconnell
by on May. 14, 2012 at 10:29 PM
They put her on meds not b c of spitting but from regurgitating n also she was crying like she was in pain when u could hear the stuff coming up. She had a cpl incidents of her skin turning grey suddenly. I guess acid can irritate the esophogus/ larynex (sp) n cause a spasm which restricts the airway. Also, she was sounding very hoarse. Since meds, she isnt crying like that n emore.
I dont think i have an over supply and how so i tell if i have an oal? The meds can cause weight issues?

Quoting sreichelt26:

I'm concerned that she's already on meds for silent reflux - that could be the source of the weight gain problem.

My dd had it too, and then it developed into full blown reflux. I also had overactive letdown/oversupply (which is often the true cause of the "reflux") I fixed the oversupply and treated dd with chiropractic adjustments. Instant fix. Whenever she started spitting up again, we got her adjusted again (about once a month).

Your milk is perfect for her - that comment, added to your pedi putting her on meds so soon really concerns me.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on May. 14, 2012 at 10:34 PM

If you need to supplement the FIRST thing you can do is to try supplementing with your own milk.

Her weight gain was perfect for the first 2 weeks. It is the lack of gain in the 2nd 2 weeks that is a concern.

It is possible that she has an ineffective latch/suck.

You mention 6-10 dipes a day, but how many of them are poopy? It only counts as a poop if it is at least the size of a quarter.

How many times is she nursing in 24 hours?

How are your nipples (sore? damaged? fine?)

tsmcconnell
by on May. 14, 2012 at 10:35 PM
No tongue tie that i can tell, my step son has that though. She nurses whenevr she wants basically; every 2 hrs usually and i let her go til she lets go then burp her n offer the other. Idk if i have an oal, she diesnt seem to gulp. She tries to be a snacker sometimes but i started to do compression to help. I havent called the ibclc.

Quoting Daynaof3:

Any possibility of a tongue or lip tie? Possibility of a dairy issue? Reflux alone can cause trouble with gain but lets look at her nursing patterns. How often is she nursing? Is she nursing effectively, how is her suck? Is her latch comfortable for you? Do you have oversupply? Very rarely babies of moms with oversupply will actually have issues with gaining but it's a possibility. Have you been working with an IBCLC?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tsmcconnell
by on May. 14, 2012 at 10:48 PM
In the beginning we had latch issues but those were addressed fast. She seems to get plenty of milk to me? Im pretty sure her latch is, might...might! Be a little more shallow tan my last baby. She poops a quarter or more often n even has bouts of huge amounts! Its darker than my other two dd's. She nurses probably 10 times per day

Quoting maggiemom2000:

If you need to supplement the FIRST thing you can do is to try supplementing with your own milk.

Her weight gain was perfect for the first 2 weeks. It is the lack of gain in the 2nd 2 weeks that is a concern.

It is possible that she has an ineffective latch/suck.

You mention 6-10 dipes a day, but how many of them are poopy? It only counts as a poop if it is at least the size of a quarter.

How many times is she nursing in 24 hours?

How are your nipples (sore? damaged? fine?)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)