Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

My 4wk Lo hasn't gained weight! HELP

Posted by   + Show Post
My lil girl is 4wks old n hasn't gained n e thing! And her ped thinks my milk isn't nutritious enough for her? Wtf, I've never heard of this!

She was 8lbs 2oz at birth, 7.10 when we left the hosp., 7.13 at her 1wk appt, 8.2 at 2 wks, and then has been teetering right at 8lbs ever since :( I ebf, bf on demand, she has silent reflux (little to no vomiting n on meds), 6-10 diapers per day, dark/deep yellow poops, and very loud audible bowel sounds. She is healthy in appearance, muscle tone, n mile stones. She is very happy usually n hardly fusses much.
Her Ped. Wants me to supplement which can make GERD worse! I don't want to supplement! I have ebf-ed 2 other children up to around 1 1/2. Help! I can't understand why she isn't gaining!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 14, 2012 at 9:20 PM
Replies (11-20):
tsmcconnell
by on May. 14, 2012 at 11:04 PM
The meds are definitely helping with the stomach acid! I think my baby is fine just lke yours!

Quoting amyjane22:

My son was 8'6" at birth, 7'11" at hospital discharge, and 7'10" at his 2 week check up.  I had to have weekly check ups after that and he finally got to his birthweight at his 4 week appointment.  Thankfully, my pedi didn't push for formula since my son looked and acted perfectly healthy (like your daughter). I think our issue was that he is slightly tongue tied, which caused him to not get as much milk and for me to have excruciating pain when he nursed.  If I were you, I'd just keep nursing on demand and she should gain the weight.  If she's healthy, that's what matters.  Is the medicine helping her reflux?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sreichelt26
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2012 at 11:39 PM

If you have OAL she would be gulping/you would be spraying.

I was assuming that the meds were prescribed right around the time she stopped gaining weight, so that's why that was my first thought.

Quoting tsmcconnell:

They put her on meds not b c of spitting but from regurgitating n also she was crying like she was in pain when u could hear the stuff coming up. She had a cpl incidents of her skin turning grey suddenly. I guess acid can irritate the esophogus/ larynex (sp) n cause a spasm which restricts the airway. Also, she was sounding very hoarse. Since meds, she isnt crying like that n emore.
I dont think i have an over supply and how so i tell if i have an oal? The meds can cause weight issues?

Quoting sreichelt26:

I'm concerned that she's already on meds for silent reflux - that could be the source of the weight gain problem.

My dd had it too, and then it developed into full blown reflux. I also had overactive letdown/oversupply (which is often the true cause of the "reflux") I fixed the oversupply and treated dd with chiropractic adjustments. Instant fix. Whenever she started spitting up again, we got her adjusted again (about once a month).

Your milk is perfect for her - that comment, added to your pedi putting her on meds so soon really concerns me.

jjchick75
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2012 at 12:00 AM

This was my first thought as well honestly!

Quoting sreichelt26:

I'm concerned that she's already on meds for silent reflux - that could be the source of the weight gain problem.

My dd had it too, and then it developed into full blown reflux. I also had overactive letdown/oversupply (which is often the true cause of the "reflux") I fixed the oversupply and treated dd with chiropractic adjustments. Instant fix. Whenever she started spitting up again, we got her adjusted again (about once a month).

Your milk is perfect for her - that comment, added to your pedi putting her on meds so soon really concerns me.

tsmcconnell
by on May. 15, 2012 at 9:49 AM
I dont think im spraying, my first bf baby i think i was though.

Quoting jjchick75:

This was my first thought as well honestly!

Quoting sreichelt26:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bigsky105
by on May. 15, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Sorry you are having to be so worried about all of this!  You should be in full baby-moon mode!  I'm concerned about this pediatrician, though.  You should get another opinion.  This doc has already put her on drugs and is now saying that the most natural, healthy substance in the world is insufficient for your child.  Maybe you should at least go see another ped.  As long as she has the proper number of wet and poopy diapers, she is getting enough milk.  Also, could the reflux be from something in your diet?  Research the elimination diet and see if you might be able to pinpoint a sensitivity.  There are usually explanations for everything, and just using a drug to mask the symptoms won't help find the true cause.  I know a mom who had a newborn with reflux and she did the elimination diet (which isn't easy to go through), and she found it was gluten in her diet causing reflux in the baby.  I know another mom that talked to the first mom and tried elimination for her refluxing toddler who was still nursing, and they found it to be dairy.  Again, you need a supportive ped who can help you get to the bottom of this.

tsmcconnell
by on May. 15, 2012 at 10:51 PM
Thank you, i am looking it up now.

Quoting bigsky105:

Sorry you are having to be so worried about all of this!  You should be in full baby-moon mode!  I'm concerned about this pediatrician, though.  You should get another opinion.  This doc has already put her on drugs and is now saying that the most natural, healthy substance in the world is insufficient for your child.  Maybe you should at least go see another ped.  As long as she has the proper number of wet and poopy diapers, she is getting enough milk.  Also, could the reflux be from something in your diet?  Research the elimination diet and see if you might be able to pinpoint a sensitivity.  There are usually explanations for everything, and just using a drug to mask the symptoms won't help find the true cause.  I know a mom who had a newborn with reflux and she did the elimination diet (which isn't easy to go through), and she found it was gluten in her diet causing reflux in the baby.  I know another mom that talked to the first mom and tried elimination for her refluxing toddler who was still nursing, and they found it to be dairy.  Again, you need a supportive ped who can help you get to the bottom of this.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Leapdaybaby
by on May. 16, 2012 at 6:57 AM
I have a 11w old and I feel my let down...tingling in nipples. If my DS falls off nipple I spray his like a dog in a hose. I thought that is what supposta happen. This post taught me I have OAL. Maybe that y he spits up????
Allinorder
by on May. 16, 2012 at 8:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I am still breastfeeding my youngest whom is 3. I never got him weighed often. I know it sounds bad. But to me doctors treat breastfeeding babies like formula feeding babies and to me its not the case. You know in your heart that your child is ok follow that feeling. I have 3 kids and you know my feeling has never been wrong.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 16, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Quoting Leapdaybaby:

I have a 11w old and I feel my let down...tingling in nipples. If my DS falls off nipple I spray his like a dog in a hose. I thought that is what supposta happen. This post taught me I have OAL. Maybe that y he spits up????

PRECISELY!

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 16, 2012 at 12:06 PM
Not always. I'm pretty sure that I had OAL with my oldest and the only symptoms he had were gassiness and spitting up. He never gulped or choked on the milk and I never sprayed. It was much more evident with my second.

Quoting sreichelt26:

If you have OAL she would be gulping/you would be spraying.

I was assuming that the meds were prescribed right around the time she stopped gaining weight, so that's why that was my first thought.

Quoting tsmcconnell:

They put her on meds not b c of spitting but from regurgitating n also she was crying like she was in pain when u could hear the stuff coming up. She had a cpl incidents of her skin turning grey suddenly. I guess acid can irritate the esophogus/ larynex (sp) n cause a spasm which restricts the airway. Also, she was sounding very hoarse. Since meds, she isnt crying like that n emore.

I dont think i have an over supply and how so i tell if i have an oal? The meds can cause weight issues?

Quoting sreichelt26:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)