Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

My 4wk Lo hasn't gained weight! HELP

Posted by   + Show Post
My lil girl is 4wks old n hasn't gained n e thing! And her ped thinks my milk isn't nutritious enough for her? Wtf, I've never heard of this!

She was 8lbs 2oz at birth, 7.10 when we left the hosp., 7.13 at her 1wk appt, 8.2 at 2 wks, and then has been teetering right at 8lbs ever since :( I ebf, bf on demand, she has silent reflux (little to no vomiting n on meds), 6-10 diapers per day, dark/deep yellow poops, and very loud audible bowel sounds. She is healthy in appearance, muscle tone, n mile stones. She is very happy usually n hardly fusses much.
Her Ped. Wants me to supplement which can make GERD worse! I don't want to supplement! I have ebf-ed 2 other children up to around 1 1/2. Help! I can't understand why she isn't gaining!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 14, 2012 at 9:20 PM
Replies (21-21):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 16, 2012 at 12:20 PM
Many times, reflux is really a result of overactive letdown/oversupply. Even if you are not experiencing the OBVIOUS signs, it could still be the cause. It was in the case of my oldest. If I had known about this stuff 11 years ago, I could have helped him with a simple position change.

Quoting tsmcconnell:

I dont think im spraying, my first bf baby i think i was though.

Quoting jjchick75:

This was my first thought as well honestly!

Quoting sreichelt26:

I'm concerned that she's already on meds for silent reflux - that could be the source of the weight gain problem.

My dd had it too, and then it developed into full blown reflux. I also had overactive letdown/oversupply (which is often the true cause of the "reflux") I fixed the oversupply and treated dd with chiropractic adjustments. Instant fix. Whenever she started spitting up again, we got her adjusted again (about once a month).

Your milk is perfect for her - that comment, added to your pedi putting her on meds so soon really concerns me.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)