Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can I give my 6 month old pedialite?

Posted by   + Show Post
She's been sick and is now dehydrated. What is best to do? Pedialite, water, ..? I'm nursing her currently but not sure if that's enough
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 14, 2012 at 9:48 PM
Replies (31-37):
kitty8199
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2012 at 9:50 AM
what happened?

Quoting dietsunkist:

Quoting kitty8199:

The dr didn't want to see her today since we already had an appointment for tomorrow. They didn't sound concerned at all. Then we called the ER just now to see if we should bring her in and the nurse refused to talk to us. So now we have no idea what to do. She pooped another time since then, it's not much but it's enough to have both of us worried since we know how fragile babies are. Id rather be safe than sorry I guess
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama02040608
by on May. 15, 2012 at 10:07 AM
So did you take her in?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Miranda on May. 15, 2012 at 12:13 PM

You CAN give pedialyte but I wouldn't. I would continue to nurse a little  here & there. I would also fire the dr!! If you've nursed with no problems for 6 months & suddenly this starts it's highly unlikely it's your milk. She's sick, it's a virus & has nothing to do with your milk. I bet if she  were doing the same with the pedialyte dr wouldn't be blaming the pedialyte he'd be saying she's sick. If you think it's severe take her to the er but  I personally would only nurse & not allow anything else.(except the iv)

dietsunkist
by on May. 15, 2012 at 1:16 PM
Thanks for all the responses ladies. She's still doing okay, not dehydrated & still nursing but still having frequent weird poops. The dr saw her this morning & is testing her stool for rotavirus. The dr doesn't think it is the milk anymore but some kind of virus. She's doing okay fr now though so I'm hoping whatever this is gets out her system

Quoting lifetimelove:

How are things going?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofava2012
by on May. 15, 2012 at 9:26 PM

IMO, she needs to go to the ER !   This isn't something to play around with.  I have 4 kids and have made several, middle of the night trips to the ER with a sick baby.. so your husband is just gonna have to get used to it :)    

Good luck.. you could always call your doctors answering service.. but i can already tell ya.. i would imagine they would say take her in. 

Quoting dietsunkist:

Quoting kitty8199:

I don't think so. I've been nursing her a lot since I realized it and she's a little better but wanting to nurse constantly now. DH thinks I'm over worrying and I don't know if I should be worried or not. He doesn't want to go to the ER since our dr wasn't worried. She has started playing a little bit in the last few minutes but just isn't acting herself. :( I hate this! We don't even have pedialite to give her but we can get some. Our nurse told us to give her bananas to thicken the poop but I don't want to upset her little tummy more.

momofava2012
by on May. 15, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Quoting dietsunkist:

Thanks for all the responses ladies. She's still doing okay, not dehydrated & still nursing but still having frequent weird poops. The dr saw her this morning & is testing her stool for rotavirus. The dr doesn't think it is the milk anymore but some kind of virus. She's doing okay fr now though so I'm hoping whatever this is gets out her system

Quoting lifetimelove:

How are things going?

Guess i should of read ALL the posts first.. before i posted..lol  Glad she is doing better. 

mommy2b39465
by on May. 15, 2012 at 9:35 PM

If she's taking BM, I'd continue with that. You may need to pump and give her a bottle so that you're sure she's actually eating. When one of mine got sick and wouldn't eat, eventually I even had to resort to using a medicine mouth syringe to force feed him. It was either that or him get even more dehydrated, and I was willing to trade his comfort for his health. 

when my other 4 month old got the flu and was vomiting badly, the doctor recommended pedialite, however as soon as we got him on that tamaflu (is that the right word?) stuff, he got better very quickly and we didn't have to switch him to pedialite. 

I've heard that the word out now from doctors is a big NO on water before they are one. Something about messing up their PH balace? I give them a sip of water here or there, but I try not to give them much.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)