Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who is at fault?

Posted by on May. 15, 2012 at 6:14 AM
mel
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this
Who do you think is at fault for the lower then desirable breastfeeding rates?
I've been thinking about this alot lately. Ultimately it's the mothers job to be informed. However I personally think low bf rates falls heavily on the dr and lc.
I've heard horror stories lately from several moms Who had received horrid advice from the professionals and had they not talked to me they would be headed down ff lane.
I always thought bf women give up or chose not to educate themselves (ie growth spurts) but more and more theyre trusting the people who should know better. Lc, dr, wic.
so what do you think?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 15, 2012 at 6:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
elisybeth
by on May. 15, 2012 at 6:47 AM
2 moms liked this
I personally think it is society's fault. I agree with you that the Drs, wic, lc do not help the matter but other factors come into play. The fact that the average maternity leave in our country is 6 weeks is embarrassing. Then we expect our women to jump back into the workforce as if nothing happened. Yes we allow laws that tell employers they have to let us pump but it is still held against the woman for doing so. Breastfeeding is a hard task in itself. I think combining that with the workforce and short maternity leaves and it is a recipe for disaster.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on May. 15, 2012 at 7:15 AM
The medical community has done a shameful job promoting breastfeeding and continually fails to provide access to education and support staff. Even worse, many continually perpetuate misinformation that sabotages mothers, not to mention their knee jerk response of recommending formula instead of trying to adequately manage breast feeding issues. Yet most of the moms I know who were quick to use formula, even from birth, simply had no interest in breastfeeding and were content with the formula choices available. I also admit that moms who go back to work have additional obstacles.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LKRA
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2012 at 8:55 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't think any one person is to "blame". It's a combination of things. Our culture, how our parents fed us, our maternal care, ourselves. All of it combined into a perfect storm.

The only thing we can control is ourselves. Change starts with us, right? Who said that; I forget. lol

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 15, 2012 at 9:19 AM

It can be spread around. A medical community that should know better but doesn't. A society that has twisted ideas about the human body and "sin" (if God thought nakedness was sin He'd have put a Macys in the Garden of Eden, NOT a fig tree!). A materialistic society that puts more emphasis on stuff in the nursery than knowledge in the brain (it's the next step after a wedding industry that puts more emphasis on the party than the marriage).

LondonsMomma84
by on May. 15, 2012 at 9:20 AM
Our culture.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Elizabeth on May. 15, 2012 at 9:53 AM
I think it's a lot of factors. A mom who doesn't educate herself, a doctor who has no training, an LC loaded with misinformation, a DH or SO who "supports" you but doesn't "push" you, society making the act itself so taboo, and lets not forget the oh so concerned mothers and MILs who urge those bottles of formula because "mama needs a break, baby looks like he's starving, sounds like you're not making enough" etc.....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on May. 15, 2012 at 11:20 AM

I agree. Ultimately is up to the moms to make the decisions, but they are often misinformed and even scared into listening to faulty information. Really sad :(

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 15, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Doctors and formula companies.  I think for years doctors were lead to believe formula was better than breastmilk so they went with that.  They stopped teaching BFing in med school.  I know a doctor who is in his 80s and he said they spoke about breastfeeding alot when he was in med school, but when he hired his partner he found that he had been taught formula was better.

I think its a vicious cycle, but started with formula companies pushing their products

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2012 at 12:55 PM
I think many women believe that Breastfeeding is difficult, inconvenient, and painful, so they won't even give it a try. Where do they get these ideas? Other women.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 15, 2012 at 4:50 PM
This is a good point, but it started earlier than that. My grandmother started having babies in 1935 and didn't nurse. I'm wondering if she got bad information or just didn't want to. Maybe she didn't want to appear poor. I wonder what my grandfather told his patients. He was an OBGYN.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Doctors and formula companies.  I think for years doctors were lead to believe formula was better than breastmilk so they went with that.  They stopped teaching BFing in med school.  I know a doctor who is in his 80s and he said they spoke about breastfeeding alot when he was in med school, but when he hired his partner he found that he had been taught formula was better.

I think its a vicious cycle, but started with formula companies pushing their products

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)