Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Nursing During Pregnancy and Tandem Nursing

Posted by on May. 15, 2012 at 9:46 AM
  • 10 Replies
I am 4w 5d pregnant with #2 and I have a 13 month old son who I am nursing. I am thinking of weaning during the pregnancy but I am not sure yet. My son still nurses a lot and I enjoy it.

Anyway, those of you who have nursed through pregnancy and tandem nurse, I want to hear the good, bad, and the ugly! I want to honestly know what to expect.

Is it possible to limit nursing of my toddler to wake up, nap time, and bed time?

Thanks!
Jenn
by on May. 15, 2012 at 9:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VintageWife
by on May. 15, 2012 at 9:47 AM

I nursed #2 all through pregnancy with #3 and for a short time afterwards and then he weaned. He was 3.5 so it wasn't early or anything.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 15, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Yes. Even if you weren't pregnant you can limit the nursings.

It's very very common for toddlers to wean on their own as your milk changes through pregnancy. Many moms lose supply entirely due to the hormones. But... distract and delay. Say "after Barney" or whenever you'd prefer. Don't expect he'll be HAPPY about it, though!

Mamaj323
by on May. 15, 2012 at 3:12 PM
Join us in the pregnant and tandem breastfeeding group! Reposting there should get you some more responses too! :)
I nursed through my pregnancy. I had a lot of aversion and a huge supply drop at about the halfway mark. My oldest still needed to nurse. Lots of tears on both sides but by setting some limits we made it through. Towards the end he was barely nursing at all. Maybe 2-3 times a week. So if you want to wean, between distraction and lack of supply it is doable. We wanted to continue so I always reminded him that when the new baby came the milk would be back. And when it did he went back to his old happy schedule.
There is no reason to wean if you don't want to.
A book that is super helpful and full of answers and solutions (including gentle weaning) is "Adventures in Tandem Nursing" by Hilary Flower. I've recommended this book so much I should get royalties! :D
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on May. 15, 2012 at 3:39 PM
Nursing during pregnancy was challenging my breasts were sore from the hormones. I used distraction techniques to get through it like tv book talking etc. I was certain she was going to wean because my milk all but disappeared. But she didn't. Now I'm tandem 30mo and 7 weeks. I do feel "touched out" sometimes especially during growth spurt time. This past one at 6 weeks my 2.5yr old was also sick so they were both nursing like crazy then hubby wants to, snuggle and such and I was ready to go crazy lol.
But it's sooooo rewarding! My 30 month old is so sweet on the baby. She wants to help her latch and does breast compressions to "help"
I don't limit my older one very much, just a personal preference from me and hubby. Unless I'm right in the middle of something and can't accommodate her she gets it when she asks for it.
Many children nurse during or right after pregnancy because of decrees supply or change in taste.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PoodleMum
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2012 at 12:33 AM

I am 24 weeks and my 16 month old is still nursing :)  I noticed a small dip around 7 weeks, but the worst part was the nursing aversion and pain!  Even if it didn't hurt, it just made my skin crawl and I felt so aggravated.  I had to limit nursings to be shorter, but more often.  I finally got over it around 15 weeks and everything was great til 19 weeks!  Then I totally lost my milk and it started really really hurting again.  It's gotten to the point where I have to grit my teeth to keep from crying from the pain, but gets better quickly :)  She has cut down to mostly just nursing first thing in the morning, but will take a few sips in the evening.  I really hope I can tandem!

blg5484
by on May. 16, 2012 at 1:24 AM

mine are 22 months and 7 months now still nursing I never lost my supply during the pregnancy it wasnt bad DD was down to naps and 1 time during the night after DS was born she went back to nursing like a new born every hour or 2 around the clock she is now back to naps in the day time but every 2 to 3 hours at night DS nurses every 2-3 hours he is EBF still

GoodyBrook
by on May. 16, 2012 at 1:54 AM
I'm about 7 weeks with a 13 month old. This week is our first attempt at night-weaning, as I was getting super angry when DS would night nurse. He's completely fine not eating during the night, but he does eat twice as often during the day... He was nursing 7 times in a 24 hour period, and now he's nursing 7 times in a 15 hour period.
Char07
by on May. 16, 2012 at 6:58 AM
I'm around 20 weeks and had pain nursing in the beginning then suddenly lost my supply completely a few weeks ago (and it was painful nursing that way but we were down to once per day) but recently she is getting drops again so it's not as bad again. I expect her to keep nursing through it and to tandem when baby gets here. Dd is 23 mo btw :)
LaughterHugs
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2012 at 11:43 PM

i'm about 8 weeks along with #3 and i'm still (*gasp*) tandme nursing my two older girls

i never had any problems.

DD1 almost self-weaned before DD2 showed up, but the renewed milk supply amazed her. They are super close now, and it's awesome to have a way to calm them both and tether them to one place easily :)

DD1 is on the verge of self-weaning again, she only nurses to sleep at night, and when she wakes, and MAYBe once during the day if she's bored and we're at home. DD2 is more sporadic, but nowhere near weaning atm.

i highly recommend the book Adventures in Tandem Nursing and the boook Mothering Your Nursing Toddler

JennWatt
by on May. 17, 2012 at 7:48 AM
I ordered the book Adventures in Tandem nursing. I should have it in a few days!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)