Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

NIP and question PIOG

Posted by on May. 15, 2012 at 10:04 AM
  • 13 Replies

I just have to say that after reading all the posts about the nasty stares, the rude people who ask you to stop or go elsewhere that I was so nervous to NIP with my daughter. I don't take to rudeness well and I didn't want to be rude back.

I can say that since Rebekah was born 2 months ago we nurse in public often-always with a cover- and have never had a nasty stare or a bad experience. I nurse in church during service, during our Wednesday night Bible study, in restaurants, in stores, etc. It could be that I just don't notice the stares but I've never had a rude comment that I've heard. 

Now if I can get the hang of nursing once I get a carrier for her-it's on my list to get at the end of this month-I'll be all set, lol.

I do have a question with that. When you nurse in a carrier-do you wear a shirt that makes it easy to pull down to nurse or do you lift it up? I'm so worried I'll expose myself and being modest, that's the last thing I want to do, lol.

by on May. 15, 2012 at 10:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on May. 15, 2012 at 11:33 AM

I have a ring sling and I can either pull my shirt up or pull my shirt down. When I pull my shirt down I take the end of the ring sling and cover up with it, not over my baby's face though. My kids never would allow me to cover their heads when they nursed. I understand wanting to be modest, but my kids woul kick it off and sometimes cry and so I didn't wnat them to kick it off while nurse so I just stopped using it and found other ways to be modest, but honestly I'm not overly modest. I also have a mei tai that I use. You can pull your shirt up or pull down with that as well, usually I pull my shirt down because its more comfortable for me and because my baby is sitting up straight you can't see anything.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 15, 2012 at 11:48 AM
1 mom liked this

A wife beater(a line) tank under any shirt makes it a nursing shirt..you can pull the breast out the top of the tank and pull the other shirt up and everything is basically covered.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on May. 15, 2012 at 2:35 PM
I did the tank top under my shirt thing with my mei tai carrier since it didn't cover my sides.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rebeccasmommy09
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2012 at 2:39 PM
I've just recently started nip without a cover (dd2 now hates the cover and I never had an issue using it with dd1). I always wear a tank under my regular shirt. Tank is pulled down, shirt pulled up. If you are using a carrier, that just gives a little more cover. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annaica
by on May. 15, 2012 at 5:43 PM
Just wore a tank and pulled it down. The outter shirt I pulled up. If you have her in a wrap you should be covered. Literally lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessholewinski
by on May. 15, 2012 at 6:41 PM

I use a hiphammock and when I would nurse her I would pull my shirt up didnt wear an undeshirt just took her blanket and put it over her and it covered my side and her so no one could see any skin and my shirt covered my chest. I also just go about my business and dont look around to see if anyone is looking at me and never had any comments made I've nursed two babies til age 1, still going with my baby girl. I dont pay attention to that sort of thing. If someone said something to me I probably would just look at them with a blank look on my face and smile, or just walk away. I figure I put up with my family bashing my EBFING I think i can handle a complete stranger.

LaughterHugs
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2012 at 6:45 PM

here's me nursing in one-shouldered  carriers (ring slings or pouches), soft-structured carriers (mei tais, ergo, anything that goes over two shoulders with straps etc), and wraps (stretchy-moby/sleepywrap/ultimatebabywrap, woven wraps- gira/hopp/storch/bebina/didy/ellevil/natibaby, etc)

ring sling nursing is great for newborn to toddlerhood, plus for the one who want to be more discreet, or are less adept at NIP, the tail is an easy coverup esp for babies who pop on and off or dislike hooter hiders etc, b/c you can cover just your breast, like in my first picture
the problems with ring sling nursing is repositioning to cradle nursing hold can be difficult and one shoulder is always stuck with the weight of the baby

3 month old

8 months old

30 minutes old

past a year old

babyette past a year old

7 months old

4 months old

2 weeks old

mei tai and other soft structured carriers (Boba, ERGO, Beco, BabyHawk) are good because the spread the weight more evenly, and can be used for back carrying also, but on a flip side they expose you more while breastfeeding and really don't work as well if baby cannot sit up on their own due to physical development and leg spread (aka under 6 months ish) :)

8 months old

8 months old

5 months old

9 months old

6 months old

5 months old

over a year old (on the rocket ride line at disneyland)

over a year old (infantino Mei Tai)

over a year old, ergo at disneyland grand hotel lobby

over a year old (in the boba on our 2 mile hike)

over a year old in the boba2g at LA Arboretum

ergos

over a year old, in the toddlerhawk at disneyland

wraps, which are any type of long piece of fabric, are great b/c they are super versitile and if you get a woven (not stretchy) it'll last from birth to whenever you stop wearing :) however a stretchy (moby/sleepywrap/ultimate babywrap etc) wrap will only be unsaggy/unpainful for birth through 18-20lbs....whereas a woven (gira/didy/hopp/storch/babyette/bebina etc) will be useful as long as you desire to babywear
nursing in a cradle hold secures the baby better then any other carrier, but MY babies would only let me do it for about a week, then (as you can see in the latter half of the pictures) i had to start nursing in a slightly loosened and retied hug hold or FWCC.

also the wraps of all types take longer to master, but are SO worth it :)

stretchy should only be used in a front carry, but woven can be used for a back and side carry also :)

1 month old stretchy wrap (moby)

1 week old woven bebina

2 days old woven gauze babythebaby

3 months old woven gauze

5 months old woven bebina

5 months old woven bebina

11 months old woven babyette sunayana (at downtown disneyland, lol)

over a year old neobulle julie

over a year old, bebina aquarius

feel free to PM me for anymore help :D

collinsmommy0
by on May. 15, 2012 at 7:07 PM
When DS was less than 6 months old, I could nurse in my ring sling & no one would notice - when he nursed or slept you could only see his head & otherwise he would peek out. It did take me a few tries to figure out the positioning in it.

I could never figure out how to nurse in the Moby. I've just recently figured out how to nurse in my ergo (@ 12 months)

I never use a cover - just do the shirt up, tank top down strategy. No one has ever said anything negative to me, either. I've even been 'cheered' at once while nursing!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
norwgnwood
by Member on May. 15, 2012 at 7:24 PM

A shirt that pulls down is easiest when using an ergo type carrier!

K8wizzo
by Kate on May. 15, 2012 at 11:47 PM

I always did a larger shirt on top with a nursing tank underneath.

I still occasionally nip and my ds is 2 years old now.  I have never gotten a rude look or comment.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN