Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Can you bf UPDATE!

Posted by on May. 15, 2012 at 10:38 AM
  • 17 Replies
While on antibiotics for strep?

What about while on steroids?
Just got done with the dr, he proscribed me steroids for 5 days, plus tylenol and motrin every 2 hours for fever. 100.5 fever
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 15, 2012 at 10:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
monmyofcera
by on May. 15, 2012 at 10:41 AM
Ask your doctor you never know with some meds
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 15, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Yes. Probiotics are recommended to prevent thrush. I'm not well versed in probiotics so hopefully another mom will chime in.

There are VERY FEW meds that are unsafe for nursing.

mamabens
by Miranda on May. 15, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Yes you can!  As for previous poster, it's generally a BAD idea to ask dr's because they do the general cover their ass version by saying no when in fact it is  very safe.  There are very few meds that are truely unsafe. Google lact med, they have an app if you have a smartphone & also I found Dr Hale's book(medications & mothers milk) pretty cheap at halfprice books.

Char07
by on May. 15, 2012 at 10:44 AM
And most drs follow a CYA policy and haven't a clue what meds are safe or not...

I wouldn't call a dr, I would ask here, check lactmed, or call dr hales line :)

Quoting :

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryJarrett
by Mary on May. 15, 2012 at 10:44 AM
Yes, you may. :) get well soon! Nursing while ill provides immunities to your baby as well. Taking a probiotic would be a great addition.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GraceHudson
by on May. 15, 2012 at 10:54 AM
bump

Kitsun
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2012 at 10:59 AM
Last time I saw this dr he told me to stop bfing while on everything he put me on..
I understood with the strep pills, but not the cough syrup, so I asked my pedi..he said the cough syrup would just make him a little drowsy hearty like it would me

Thank you ladies!
After I see him I'll come back and let you know what the pills are
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kitty8199
by on May. 15, 2012 at 11:01 AM
Depends on the antibiotic. Strep is usually a penicillin drug, so that should be ok. Go to safefetus.org. it tells nursing status of drugs too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Miranda on May. 15, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Willing to bet money it's a Z pack...Azithromyacin. Took it twice while nursing, it's perfectly safe.  Here's what Lact med says about it. http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search/f?./temp/~eMvMGz:1

Azithromycin
CASRN: 83905-01-5

For other data, click on the Table of Contents

Drug Levels and Effects:

Summary of Use during Lactation:
Because of the low levels of azithromycin in breastmilk and use in infants in higher doses, it would not be expected to cause adverse effects in breastfed infants. Monitor the infant for possible effects on the gastrointestinal flora, such as diarrhea, candidiasis (thrush, diaper rash). Unconfirmed epidemiologic evidence indicates that the risk of hypertrophic pyloric stenosis in infants might be increased by maternal use of macrolide antibiotics during breastfeeding.

Drug Levels:
Maternal Levels. A woman who was 1 day postpartum was given 1 gram of azithromycin orally. Forty-eight hours later her milk azithromycin was 0.64 mg/L. An oral regimen of 500 mg daily for 5 days was started and more milk samples were obtained. One hour after the first dose, breastmilk contained 1.3 mg/L and 30 hours after the third dose milk contained 2.8 mg/L.[1] Because of the slow clearance and accumulation of azithromycin, it is difficult to interpret these milk levels. The dose that the infant would receive in milk would gradually increase for several days because maternal blood levels would increase until steady-state had been reached. If the level of 2.8 mg/L is used as an approximate trough level, an exclusively breastfed infant would receive a minimum of 0.42 mg/kg daily compared to the dose of 5 to 10 mg/kg daily used in infants of 6 months and over.

Infant Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.

Effects in Breastfed Infants:
A cohort study of infants diagnosed with infantile hypertrophic pyloric stenosis found that affected infants were 2.3 to 3 times more likely to have a mother taking a macrolide antibiotic during the 90 days after delivery. Stratification of the infants found the odds ratio to be 10 for female infants and 2 for male infants. All of the mothers of affected infants nursed their infants. Most of the macrolide prescriptions were for erythromycin, but only 7% were for azithromycin. However, the authors did not state which macrolide was taken by the mothers of the affected infants.[2]

A study comparing the breastfed infants of mothers taking amoxicillin to those taking a macrolide antibiotic found no instances of pyloric stenosis. However, most of the infants exposed to a macrolide in breastmilk were exposed to roxithromycin. Only 10 of the 55 infants exposed to a macrolide were exposed to azithromycin. Adverse reactions occurred in 12.7% of the infants exposed to macrolides which was similar to the rate in amoxicillin-exposed infants. Reactions included rash, diarrhea, loss of appetite, and somnolence.[3]

Possible Effects on Lactation:
Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.

Quoting Kitsun:

Last time I saw this dr he told me to stop bfing while on everything he put me on..
I understood with the strep pills, but not the cough syrup, so I asked my pedi..he said the cough syrup would just make him a little drowsy hearty like it would me

Thank you ladies!

Kitsun
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2012 at 11:23 AM
I believe thats what he put me on last time..I'm allergic to PCN and amoxicilin (sp?)

Quoting mamabens:

Willing to bet money it's a Z pack...Azithromyacin. Took it twice while nursing, it's perfectly safe.  Here's what Lact med says about it. http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search/f?./temp/~eMvMGz:1

Azithromycin
CASRN: 83905-01-5

For other data, click on the Table of Contents

Drug Levels and Effects:

Summary of Use during Lactation:

Because of the low levels of azithromycin
in breastmilk and use in infants in higher doses, it would not be
expected to cause adverse effects in breastfed infants. Monitor the
infant for possible effects on the gastrointestinal flora, such as
diarrhea, candidiasis (thrush, diaper rash). Unconfirmed epidemiologic
evidence indicates that the risk of hypertrophic pyloric stenosis in
infants might be increased by maternal use of macrolide antibiotics
during breastfeeding.

Drug Levels:

Maternal Levels. A woman who was 1 day postpartum was given 1 gram of azithromycin orally. Forty-eight hours later her milk azithromycin
was 0.64 mg/L. An oral regimen of 500 mg daily for 5 days was started
and more milk samples were obtained. One hour after the first dose,
breastmilk contained 1.3 mg/L and 30 hours after the third dose milk
contained 2.8 mg/L.[1] Because of the slow clearance and accumulation of
azithromycin, it is difficult
to interpret these milk levels. The dose that the infant would receive
in milk would gradually increase for several days because maternal blood
levels would increase until steady-state had been reached. If the level
of 2.8 mg/L is used as an approximate trough level, an exclusively
breastfed infant would receive a minimum of 0.42 mg/kg daily compared to
the dose of 5 to 10 mg/kg daily used in infants of 6 months and over.

Infant Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.

Effects in Breastfed Infants:

A cohort study of infants diagnosed with infantile hypertrophic pyloric
stenosis found that affected infants were 2.3 to 3 times more likely to
have a mother taking a macrolide antibiotic during the 90 days after
delivery. Stratification of the infants found the odds ratio to be 10
for female infants and 2 for male infants. All of the mothers of
affected infants nursed their infants. Most of the macrolide
prescriptions were for erythromycin, but only 7% were for azithromycin. However, the authors did not state which macrolide was taken by the mothers of the affected infants.[2]

A study comparing the breastfed infants of mothers taking amoxicillin
to those taking a macrolide antibiotic found no instances of pyloric
stenosis. However, most of the infants exposed to a macrolide in
breastmilk were exposed to roxithromycin. Only 10 of the 55 infants
exposed to a macrolide were exposed to azithromycin.
Adverse reactions occurred in 12.7% of the infants exposed to
macrolides which was similar to the rate in amoxicillin-exposed infants.
Reactions included rash, diarrhea, loss of appetite, and
somnolence.[3]

Possible Effects on Lactation:

Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.

Quoting Kitsun:

Thank you ladies!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN