Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Weaning

Posted by on May. 15, 2012 at 3:16 PM
  • 3 Replies
My DD is 18 months old and I would like to wean her soon. I'm proud of myself for making it this far but I honestly cant see myself going much further. So I was wondering how I go about weaning? Do I just refuse to give it to her when she wants it? What about naps and bedtime, she has always nursed to sleep?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 15, 2012 at 3:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 15, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Drop one feeding per week till gone. Start with the least favored feeding... just stretch out the time between, distracting and delaying. Don't be surprised if she's not happy with it.

Alternately, you can practice dfon't offer don't refuse. It's what it says on the tin. You don't offer to nurse, but you don't refuse it either. You can offer distractions from nursing.

There's info on drjaygordon.com on night weaning. Usually you have to turn bedtime over to dad. No help on naps... ours was a nap-free home. (As in.. he wouldn't!)

newmomma10
by on May. 15, 2012 at 3:58 PM
Thank you!! I will check out that website!

Quoting gdiamante:

Drop one feeding per week till gone. Start with the least favored feeding... just stretch out the time between, distracting and delaying. Don't be surprised if she's not happy with it.

Alternately, you can practice dfon't offer don't refuse. It's what it says on the tin. You don't offer to nurse, but you don't refuse it either. You can offer distractions from nursing.

There's info on drjaygordon.com on night weaning. Usually you have to turn bedtime over to dad. No help on naps... ours was a nap-free home. (As in.. he wouldn't!)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Miranda on May. 15, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Yep what she said...drop one feeding a week til all are replaced. Since youa re the one initiating it do not expect it to be easy & tear free.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)