Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Allergic Reaction and ER

Posted by on May. 15, 2012 at 3:51 PM
  • 21 Replies

Anyone's child ever have an allergic reaction through bm because of something you ate? Or do you know of anyone who has experienced this. We ended up in the ER room yesterday after LO had a severe reaction. We still can't pin down what, nothing he ate was new to him unless its a newly developed allergy. I'm wondering if I should also be charting my foods.

by on May. 15, 2012 at 3:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by mel on May. 15, 2012 at 4:03 PM
If it was that serious of a reaction I would eliminate everything except chicken vegetable and rice. Then slowly add things for a week before adding a new item keeping a journal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
robbinsroost
by Member on May. 15, 2012 at 4:07 PM

I had one who had a bad reaction to peanuts at 6 months and 10 months. She broke out in hives from head to toe, but not ER worthy. My nursling at this time reacts to tree nuts. He get gassy, poops more often and gets lots of pimples.

newwifenmom
by Member on May. 15, 2012 at 4:08 PM
Quoting melindabelcher:

If it was that serious of a reaction I would eliminate everything except chicken vegetable and rice. Then slowly add things for a week before adding a new item keeping a journal.

From my diet, his or both?

Elyssa414
by on May. 15, 2012 at 4:46 PM
My friends son had a reaction to almonds because- get this- she ate honey but Cheerios!! It was a severe reaction and they skin tested him and found out it was an extreme almond allergy, at 9 months. Her allergist said that was very rare, but my friend has a family full of extreme allergies. Her daughter is severely allergic to peanuts, eggs and dairy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on May. 15, 2012 at 4:54 PM

No extreme reactions.   My first broke out in a full body rash after I just had an itty bitty bit of strawberries...  but I just didn't eat fresh strawberries anymore and he outgrew it.  

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
newwifenmom
by Member on May. 15, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Quoting Elyssa414:

My friends son had a reaction to almonds because- get this- she ate honey but Cheerios!! It was a severe reaction and they skin tested him and found out it was an extreme almond allergy, at 9 months. Her allergist said that was very rare, but my friend has a family full of extreme allergies. Her daughter is severely allergic to peanuts, eggs and dairy.

Oh wow poor kids. My side of the family also has bad allegies from watermelon to bananas and me well I'm allergic to so many fresh fruits and veggies. I really do need to find out whats bothering him though bc this is our 2nd ER trip for hives and this time was worse with breathing issues and face swelling.

collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2012 at 7:32 PM
I would bring him to an allergist to get allergy testing done (which may actually not tell you anything, since under 3 years old can be false negatives).

I would eliminate the top 8 allergens from both of your diets & wait for allergy testing.

What kind of reaction was it?

DS reacts to 6 foods so far, 5 of which were foods that I have eaten (he's never directly eaten them). There's also a group on here on young children with asthma & allergies you may want to join.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on May. 15, 2012 at 8:14 PM

No, nothing like that. Some irritating BMs when I consumed my homemade gazpacho for lunch, afternoon snack, and dinner (acid from tomatoes and lime). 

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  and share advice on breastfeeding, babywearing, 
        bedsharing, non-cio. gentle discipline, and natural foods, health, and cleaners! ♥

catholicmamamia
by on May. 15, 2012 at 8:17 PM

http://kellymom.com/health/baby-health/food-sensitivity/

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  and share advice on breastfeeding, babywearing, 
        bedsharing, non-cio. gentle discipline, and natural foods, health, and cleaners! ♥

newwifenmom
by Member on May. 15, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Allergy  testing is the plan now that I've finally been able to changed to a PCPs , old ped refused and at that time I needed a referral bc of my insurance.

Quoting collinsmommy0:

I would bring him to an allergist to get allergy testing done (which may actually not tell you anything, since under 3 years old can be false negatives).

I would eliminate the top 8 allergens from both of your diets & wait for allergy testing.

What kind of reaction was it?

DS reacts to 6 foods so far, 5 of which were foods that I have eaten (he's never directly eaten them). There's also a group on here on young children with asthma & allergies you may want to join.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)