Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms
How my son is latched on me allll night wakes up in,the morning,latched on then eats an hour after that and he still manages to cry hysterically and acts like ive been starving him. This is seriously starting to be an extremely annoying habit and I dont know how to break it. Ugh ... Still confused weather to switch to formula. I know its not gonna change anything but,it'll give my boobs a break:-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 15, 2012 at 4:50 PM
Replies (11-17):
annaica
by on May. 15, 2012 at 7:40 PM
So he wants to nurse every hour at bed time? Would you say it is that frequent? How often does he want to nurse during the day?

Quoting McM0609:

Well my son,has been doing this since we've started cosleeping. At like 2mths.,ive tried moving him to his crib but he just wakes up an hour later. So how long does it last?

Quoting annaica:

Yep. It happens at different times for every child/mom but gotta expect it lol they're growing quickly and they will cluster feed for a few days to get your supply up to par :)

As long as baby is having about 6-8 wet diapers a day, I wouldn't be worried about supplementation.

Quoting McM0609:

Its funny u say that cause my boobs have been feeling like when my milk first came in.

Quoting annaica:

Sounds like he is telling the milk machine to speed up production for his growth spurt. Very normal. Especially around 3 weeks and 3 months! How old is he?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mollysmom328
by Stephanie on May. 15, 2012 at 7:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Moms breasts are not pacifiers.  Comfort nursing is healthy for babies.

Quoting gumbeme06:

Don't co sleep. He's using you as a pacifier at night not actually eating. how old is he... It could also be a growth spurt

McM0609
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2012 at 9:28 PM
Every hour to two hours in the day and then at night I cosleep til hes in a deep sleep but then he wakes up 2-3 hours later and he stays latched the rest of the night til morning or else he cries. And this is every night!!

Quoting annaica:

So he wants to nurse every hour at bed time? Would you say it is that frequent? How often does he want to nurse during the day?

Quoting McM0609:

Well my son,has been doing this since we've started cosleeping. At like 2mths.,ive tried moving him to his crib but he just wakes up an hour later. So how long does it last?

Quoting annaica:

Yep. It happens at different times for every child/mom but gotta expect it lol they're growing quickly and they will cluster feed for a few days to get your supply up to par :)

As long as baby is having about 6-8 wet diapers a day, I wouldn't be worried about supplementation.

Quoting McM0609:

Its funny u say that cause my boobs have been feeling like when my milk first came in.

Quoting annaica:

Sounds like he is telling the milk machine to speed up production for his growth spurt. Very normal. Especially around 3 weeks and 3 months! How old is he?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gumbeme06
by Sara on May. 15, 2012 at 10:03 PM
I never said it wasn't healthy I said he's using them as a pacifier which he is. Babies use pacifiers as comfort. She made it sound like in the original post that she thought he was eating all night when in fact hes not, he's using her breast the same way a child would use a pacifier.

Quoting mollysmom328:

Quoting gumbeme06:

Don't co sleep. He's using you as a pacifier at night not actually eating. how old is he... It could also be a growth spurt

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LondonsMomma84
by on May. 15, 2012 at 10:20 PM
What she's saying is that a pacifier was invented to take the place of a breast, and this behavior is normal infant behavior.

Babies need their mothers. Some babies will need us all night long for some time, op. formula won't change anythig other than to switch from the best thing he could possibly have to a cheap processed food.

Quoting gumbeme06:

I never said it wasn't healthy I said he's using them as a pacifier which he is. Babies use pacifiers as comfort. She made it sound like in the original post that she thought he was eating all night when in fact hes not, he's using her breast the same way a child would use a pacifier.

Quoting mollysmom328:

Quoting gumbeme06:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annaica
by on May. 15, 2012 at 10:52 PM
I know it is stressful but I also know it doesn't last forever. The best thing you can do is just try to remove your nipple as soon as he falls asleep. You can try different pacifiers too. My daughter only liked the mam brand... but you're doing really well, cosleeping is very helpful in situations like this and you can get thru this :) hugs
Quoting McM0609:

Every hour to two hours in the day and then at night I cosleep til hes in a deep sleep but then he wakes up 2-3 hours later and he stays latched the rest of the night til morning or else he cries. And this is every night!!

Quoting annaica:

Quoting McM0609:

Quoting annaica:

Quoting McM0609:

Quoting annaica:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 16, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Flip that, actually. Babies use pacifiers as they would breasts! 

OP... try offering more in the daytime. But to be very honest, this pattern sounds 100% normal.

Quoting gumbeme06:

Quoting mollysmom328:

Quoting gumbeme06:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN