Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

please tell me about ur experience with ..........

Posted by on May. 15, 2012 at 7:16 PM
  • 20 Replies

BABYLED SOLIDS

Long story short my DD is now 10 months and is EBF. i recently started to give her some food ( slided cucumber, tomatoes, apples and banana is what she's had so far) but i'm soooo terrified that she will choke that i literally watch her like a hawk at the dinner table and after a few minutes i just scoop out whatever's in her mouth because i'm just so afraid she might choke. How to you mamas do it??

by on May. 15, 2012 at 7:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Elyssa414
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2012 at 7:19 PM
2 moms liked this
Read the book about it and they explain the difference between choking and gagging! When Galen starts to gag, I give him 3 full seconds to work it out, and he always does- spits out what was too hard to swallow and tries again! It amazes me. :) I ALWAYS stay with him when he's eating too, but I try hard to sit on my hands and let him figure it out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2012 at 7:20 PM
I love baby led solids! It was so easy! And now at 12 months DS is awesome at feeding himself.

If you are nervous, why don't you jut put some of the food in a mesh feeder (avocados, bananas)? I found it helpful with bananas to hold the banana & have DS take bites out of it (which works great at the grocery store)

I have some issues with cucumbers, too - DS will bite off a huge piece. I find if I dip it or let him dip it in something, like hummus, he's more likely to chew/gum it.

And either do big pieces that he can't fit the whole thing in his mouth or small pieces he can pick up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Miranda on May. 15, 2012 at 7:21 PM

I started with soft things like avacado, banana & cooked sweet potatoes. I honestly just never worried about it. I didn't give him anything really hard though til over a year. I personally would stay away from the apple & cucumber for fear of choking for a while.

justinnaimee
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2012 at 7:22 PM
1 mom liked this
We did baby led solids. But we started with things like broccoli and green beans steamed to death. My dd is almost two and we never had a choking problem...even though she freaked my jumpy sister out a whole lot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
moroccanmommy
by Robin on May. 15, 2012 at 7:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Be careful mama....Scooping can cause a baby to choke.

Now for the baby start with tiny pieces of the softest foods like avocado..sweet potatoes..acorn squash etc..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chocolat-smiles
by on May. 15, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Quoting collinsmommy0:

I love baby led solids! It was so easy! And now at 12 months DS is awesome at feeding himself.

If you are nervous, why don't you jut put some of the food in a mesh feeder (avocados, bananas)? I found it helpful with bananas to hold the banana & have DS take bites out of it (which works great at the grocery store)

I have some issues with cucumbers, too - DS will bite off a huge piece. I find if I dip it or let him dip it in something, like hummus, he's more likely to chew/gum it.

And either do big pieces that he can't fit the whole thing in his mouth or small pieces he can pick up.

My DD doesn't care for the mesh feeders :(   but thanks for the advice :)

chocolat-smiles
by on May. 15, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Quoting mamabens:

I started with soft things like avacado, banana & cooked sweet potatoes. I honestly just never worried about it. I didn't give him anything really hard though til over a year. I personally would stay away from the apple & cucumber for fear of choking for a while.

i'll do just that thank you!!!

chocolat-smiles
by on May. 15, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Quoting moroccanmommy:

Now for the baby start with tiny pieces of the softest foods like avocado..sweet potatoes..acorn squash etc..

Thanks for the advice, this is my first time doing babyled solids so i'm still learning.

moroccanmommy
by Robin on May. 15, 2012 at 9:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Mine too. Its good to ask others. I ask questions all the time

Quoting chocolat-smiles:

Quoting moroccanmommy:

Thanks for the advice, this is my first time doing babyled solids so i'm still learning.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SouthTxPrincess
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2012 at 9:41 PM
My DD just started grabbing food off my plate and I let her as long as it was safe for her to eat like no dairy ect.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)