Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Show of hands: Did your LO have tongue tie?

Posted by   + Show Post

My DS is nearly 3 months old and we've been working with our LC, a baby chiro and Dr. Kotlow for tongue tie and lip tie.  I wish we had dealt with it at 2 weeks when it was discovered but sadly we put it off until 2 months.  We've had both the TT and LT lasered and will probably need to get the TT lasered one more time as we've noticed some reattachment even with aggressive stretching.  Our LC discovered the TT/LT and when I mentioned it to my ped she just kind of ignored me.  My son has a shallow latch even with the revisions but his transfer has improved a lot.  My nipples still get lip sticked and now I also get some non-painful blanching. I keep trying as I really love BFing and think it's the best thing for my son.

It saddens me that TT/LT is not something checked for at birth so that moms and babies can start off their breastfeeding relationship on the right foot.

So, I'm curious; have you dealt with TT/LT?  How was it discovered?  Did your ped acknowledge your concerns? What course of action did you take?  How was BFing? For older kids, what kinds of speech or oral issues arose from the TT/LT not being discovered and addressed?

Breastfeedin', cosleepin' mama!

by on May. 15, 2012 at 10:23 PM
Replies (21-24):
sweet.lil.mama
by on May. 16, 2012 at 12:57 PM

yep, both did, couldn't bf my first because i didn't know that was the problem and he couldn't latch...got my 2nd sons clipped at 2 days old and hes been ebf since, hes 7 weeks tomorrow

kimmzy
by on May. 16, 2012 at 10:58 PM

DS also has a tight mouth and now that you mention a lack of upper lip reflex I'm wondering if that is something that's going on too.  We're working with a baby chiropractor to help loosen and realign the muscles in his face and jaw.  We have several exercises for the jaw and I can get him to start with a nice open mouth but with each suck it gets smaller and smaller.  I've been thinking about working with a therapist to see if there is more we can do for him.  Another friend who's baby had her TT revised got some exercises for tongue mobitility and I've been doing those as well.  I just hope I can get things a bit more comfortable on my end though if it's going to be the way it is now I will persevere!

rebeccasmommy09
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2012 at 11:06 PM
Dd2 has a tt. I was the first to notice because she started out with a shallow latch and I was in a lot of pain because of it. I mentioned it to the pedi, he looked at it and said it was a moderate tt. Because I was in pain he referred us to an ent to possibly have it clipped. By the time we got in to see the ent though I had been able to work with dd to correct the latch problem so the ent recommended waiting until between 6-11 mo to clip it if at all because he could be more precise with his incision. She will be 6 mo tomorrow and at this point I think we're just going to leave it unless we start noticing speech problems as she gets older.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on May. 17, 2012 at 11:27 AM
My ods had it and still has it. He will be 17 in August. I didn't know he had it while he was a baby and nursing him was difficult. He wouldn't latch correctly and it took me being stubborn and persistent for 6 long weeks to get him to nurse fully and stop taking bottles. I had no help and just was determined that since I made milk for my baby, why give him anything else.

He had speech issues that he had to go to therapy for, for about 3 years. He still talks with a lisp and has speech difficulties.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)