Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

why do so many ppl

Posted by on May. 16, 2012 at 4:09 PM
  • 88 Replies
Have probs with bfing after one years old. My in-laws cant beveile i want to bf until 4 or 5 years old. Sometimes i wish i could just live on a island by myself with DS.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 16, 2012 at 4:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Autumn19
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2012 at 4:22 PM
i keep getting asked if i plan to cut her off when she gets teeth. I just smile and say i plan to let her self weene and thats the end of it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chocolat-smiles
by on May. 16, 2012 at 4:24 PM

It seems like if u still BF past 6 months people look at you like u have 3 heads!!!

Hoevegirl1986
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2012 at 4:28 PM
Yea i know my grandma said when the baby starts biting u that means they sont want to bf anymore. I disagreeded
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilydoyle
by on May. 16, 2012 at 4:28 PM

bc most ppl were tought that bfing past 3 or 6 mos was bad. I still bf my 3 yo, and my friend keeps telling me i should stop. Well, she did, until i told her that new studies show longer bm in kids is better for their growth inside and out. I also asked her why drs subscribe bm to cancer patients if it's so bad for you, lol.

vwd_johnson
by on May. 16, 2012 at 4:29 PM
3 moms liked this
I *personally* have a problem with it because I think the young ages are the times where a kid really starts learning their personality. And I feel that kid who is still nursing on the breast is going to be less independant and more of a "baby" type. I feel they get too attached to mommy, and less learning to be dependant and how to be a kid. Also, I feel with how rude people are nowadays, I would hate for someone to say something to a mom about it, and have a child hear and think they are doing something wrong.

I don't care whether a Mom wants to EBF or not. It's not my life. I just would never do it with my kids.

ETA: I guess I should edit because of all the mama's telling me how their children are dependant and research shows opposite of what I'm saying ect. I fully believe all of you that they turn into dependant children. I guess what I am saying is as a TODDLER while still nursing I find them more clingy. I personally would not want a clingy toddler. Yes, I also know their are clingy toddlers who don't EBF. And are just clingy in nature, I just couldn't imagine BF that long for myself and have my son still relying on me for things such as nursing and stopping in the day to nurse for however long. and I hear some mama"s say their toddlers still wake at night to nurse. I would go nuts. I have a great attatchment to my son, and he feels very secure with me, so I'm sorry some of u feel that because I don't EBF he won't have that secure feeling. Like I said before, the way I feel is my opinion and the personal way I chose to parent. I support parents to parent however they want and whatever works best for them. If that's EBF, then so be it. Just not for my family. I was simply answering OP's question.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MonicaV1982
by on May. 16, 2012 at 4:30 PM
1 mom liked this

could I join you on that island?!

Hoevegirl1986
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2012 at 4:31 PM
Yes u can

Quoting MonicaV1982:

could I join you on that island?!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsKrough
by on May. 16, 2012 at 4:32 PM

I plan to stop at 1 year at the breast.  But I plan to pump as long as possible.  Everyone says I better stop at 1 year.  And gives me dirty looks and tease me.  I am 21 and i feel that has a lot to do with it.  On lt like 2 of my milliion friends with kids actually breast fed.

Hoevegirl1986
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2012 at 4:35 PM
2 moms liked this
For me the more ppl say something the more i want to go longer one i know its BEST for them and two his my son and ill do as i pleas when it comes to bfing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on May. 16, 2012 at 4:37 PM
10 moms liked this

Quoting vwd_johnson:

I *personally* have a problem with it because I think the young ages are the times where a kid really starts learning their personality. And I feel that kid who is still nursing on the breast is going to be less independant and more of a "baby" type. I feel they get too attached to mommy, and less learning to be dependant and how to be a kid. Also, I feel with how rude people are nowadays, I would hate for someone to say something to a mom about it, and have a child hear and think they are doing something wrong.

I don't care whether a Mom wants to EBF or not. It's not my life. I just would never do it with my kids.

Just FYI research has proven every  single one of your concerns wrong. Breastfeeding into the toddler/preschool years actually leads to kids who are MORE inde[pendent and self assured. My DD will be 3 next month and is still breastfeeding and is a perfect example of this. She is fiercely independent! She sure has her own well developed personality as well.

http://kellymom.com/ages/older-infant/ebf-benefits/

Breastfeeding contributes to your child’s MENTAL and SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT

• A couple of studies have shown a positive relationship between longer breastfeeding duration and social development.
    – Duazo 2010, Baumgartner 1984
  •  “A shorter duration of breastfeeding may be a predictor of adverse mental health outcomes throughout the developmental trajectory of childhood and early adolescence.”
    – Oddy 2010
  • According to Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq. in “Extended Breastfeeding and the Law”:
    Breastfeeding is a warm and loving way to meet the needs of toddlers and young children. It not only perks them up and energizes them; it also soothes the frustrations, bumps and bruises, and daily stresses of early childhood. In addition, nursing past infancy helps little ones make a gradual transition to childhood.
  • Baldwin continues: “Meeting a child’s dependency needs is the key to helping that child achieve independence. And children outgrow these needs according to their own unique timetable.Children who achieve independence at their own pace are more secure in that independence then children forced into independence prematurely.

References

Breastfeeding your child past infancy is NORMAL

• The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that “Breastfeeding should be continued for at least the first year of life and beyond for as long as mutually desired by mother and child… Increased duration of breastfeeding confers significant health and developmental benefits for the child and the mother… There is no upper limit to the duration of breastfeeding and no evidence of psychologic or developmental harm from breastfeeding into the third year of life or longer.”(AAP 2012, AAP 2005)
  • The American Academy of Family Physicians recommends that breastfeeding continue throughout the first year of life and that “As recommended by the WHO, breastfeeding should ideally continue beyond infancy, but this is not the cultural norm in the United States and requires ongoing support and encouragement. It has been estimated that a natural weaning age for humans is between two and seven years. Family physicians should be knowledgeable regarding the ongoing benefits to the child of extended breastfeeding, including continued immune protection, better social adjustment, and having a sustainable food source in times of emergency. The longer women breastfeed, the greater the decrease in their risk of breast cancer.” They also note that “If the child is younger than two years of age, the child is at increased risk of illness if weaned.” (AAFP 2008)
  • The Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine affirms breastfeeding beyond infancy as the biological norm. “The average age at weaning ranges anywhere from six months to five years… Claims that breastfeeding beyond infancy is harmful to mother or infant have absolutely no medical or scientific basis,” says Arthur Eidelman, MD, president of the Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine.  “Indeed, the more salient issue is the damage caused by modern practices of premature weaning.”  The global organization of physicians further notes that“Human milk contains nutrients, antibodies, and immune-modulating substances that are not present in infant formula or cow’s milk. Longer breastfeeding duration is further associated with reduced maternal risks of breast cancer, ovarian cancer, diabetes, hypertension, obesity, and heart attack.” (ABM 2012)
  • US Surgeon General has stated that it is a lucky baby who continues to nurse until age two. (Novello 1990)
  • The World Health Organization emphasizes the importance of nursing up to two years of age or beyond (WHO 1993, WHO 2002).
  • Scientific research by Katherine A. Dettwyler, PhD shows that 2.5 to 7.0 years of nursing is what our children have been designed to expect (Dettwyler 1995).

References [see also position statements supporting breastfeeding]

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)