Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms
Have probs with bfing after one years old. My in-laws cant beveile i want to bf until 4 or 5 years old. Sometimes i wish i could just live on a island by myself with DS.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 16, 2012 at 4:09 PM
Replies (41-50):
nikkib01
by on May. 17, 2012 at 12:02 AM
Thanks for sharing this. I have never heard this. Yet another positive aspect of bf:)

Quoting Char07:

Everything she said plus not only is bfing not harmful to the palate but it helps it form correctly, 90% of jaw formation happens in the first 3 or 4 years (can't remember which) and the act of bfing helps spread the palate correctly and leads to a well proportioned face, well aligned teeth and a nice wide airway (bottlefeeding can cause a narrow palate, overcrowded teeth, long narrow faces, and a narrow airway contributing to snoring and sleep apnea).

Quoting Kimbyann:

Oh. Yes tyvm!

Probably why my nephew was ff and has to get his rotting teeth yanked out...

Quoting TTC2Long:

Because it's bad for their teeth, both by causing the teeth to rot as well as causing a malformation of the teeth and upper palate, like that which is caused by thumb-sucking. Bm has enzymes that actually prevent the bacteria that causes plaque from survival on the teeth. Isn't that cool?? Formula doesn't so the sugars feed the bacteria that cause plaque and tooth decay. Also, the breast is soft and conforms to the BABY'S mouth, not the other way around as with a synthetic nipple. Make sense? :)

Quoting Kimbyann:

I have a question.... not judging... I plan to breast-feed and all

Why is it okay to breastfeed at 4-5 but when those kids have formula and bottles its bad? How's it different?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on May. 17, 2012 at 12:05 AM
4 moms liked this
In case anyone is questioning the relationship between breastfeeding past infancy and whether it creates dependence or independence in children, check out this fact sheet which also references its sources. Studies indicate that children who were EBFd are actually more independent and socially assured.

http://kellymom.com/ages/older-infant/ebf-benefits/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Char07
by on May. 17, 2012 at 7:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting elisybeth:

No offense to you pp that posted this but your statement is one that really irks me... "more for mom than baby". Anyone who has nursed past 12 or 18 months will know that it is not something you would choose to do for yourself. My sweet little nursing baby turned into an acrobat, yoga instructor, a wonderful multitasker and more. She likes to nurse to sleep but doesn't want to be touching my body and wants to sprawl out at the same time?? A large portion of the time it's mildly annoying, sometimes painful, not something I would choose to do for me.

My toddlers are all clingy (all bf for varying lengths of time one only for 6 months), my 3 and 5 yo are now very independent, my almost 2 yo not so much but idc, why should anyone push independence on such a young baby, why would you want to?? Anecdotal but every extended bfing parent I know has very independent older children that are secure enough to know that they are supported and confident enough to explore and learn. Every overly clingy child I know had a parent of either extreme, one that pushed away too hard or one that clung too hard themselves (not to be confused with child led attachment and independence).
xomrs.chase
by on May. 17, 2012 at 7:26 AM
Dh and I honeymooned in Ireland. We had a hard time coming home to the states. Everytime something happens, we joke that we'll run away to Ireland!

Ds is 5mo and has two teeth. He also signs for milk (for those saying teeth/ asking = time to wean)

My parents and most of my friends reacted poorly to the time cover. Dh did too until I explained the benefits- now he's all for extended breastfeeding. When my mom expressed disgust- dh said "oh well, if she has a problem we'll just move to ireland" hahaha!

(Ds is very close to his gammy, I could never actually take him away)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on May. 17, 2012 at 7:31 AM
Before joining this group I had no intention on bf beyond one. I can't specifically recall ever seeing a woman bf growing up. every one I knew who had bf always did it in a private room or behind a curtain etc. I certainly never ever heard or saw an older child nursing. The only way I viewed it was as weird/awkward as the media/society portrays it.
Thankfully for us I've had this awesome group! If it wouldn't be for this group I would have never made it to a year then two and currently at 30 months while tandem with my 8 week old.
I hope extended breastfeeding becomes a norm. That more ppl become educated and more education is given. For now anyone with bf probs I always send them here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soulofsunmama
by on May. 17, 2012 at 9:53 AM
2 moms liked this
Nope, not trying being rude AT ALL.
Take it how you'd like, but SCIENCE IS SCIENCE, and it looks like your entire opinion is because of 1child! What-if this child ff instead? How do you have any idea that it would change anything? Did it ever occur, that some(LOTS ebf&ff) personalities are just this way? Can you imagine how it could be a lot worse, if she had to say "wait" tired, hungry, clingy baby, "I've got to make your bottle while you have a meltdown, oh, and because your attached at my hip like your SUPPOSED to be, I'm really annoyed and not going to comfort you as much because its annoying...because you are a baby afterall."
And how is nurturing wrong? If we didn't nurture, we wouldn't still exist!
And how do you know what you "would" do this situation, when clearly YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN IN IT.
lastly why be on a breastfeeding sight when clearly you don't approve, and haven't done the research?

Quoting vwd_johnson:

I've never given my opinion to any new mom. As I wouldn't about anything that I have an "opinion" on, because its just that, MY opinon. I've witnessed *some* of it first hand. I don't need research because I know 100% I will not EBF. And if I did it would be strictly pumped. Like I stated before, I could care less what others moms do, each mom has their own choice on what they feel is best for their child, and I support that 100%.

No need for you to be so rude and act like I shove my opinion down peoples throats. OP asked why people feel this way, maybe it was rhetorical, but I gave her an answer.

Quoting soulofsunmama:

WWWWWOWWWW!

Are you serious?

To each their own I suppose, but this is such an uneducated response. please read up on this subject, there are SO many studies (SCIENCE) that prove opposite.

Please don't ever give this advice/opinion to a new mom. You could do A LOT of harm.:-(

Quoting vwd_johnson:

I *personally* have a problem with it because I think the young ages are the times where a kid really starts learning their personality. And I feel that kid who is still nursing on the breast is going to be less independant and more of a "baby" type. I feel they get too attached to mommy, and less learning to be dependant and how to be a kid. Also, I feel with how rude people are nowadays, I would hate for someone to say something to a mom about it, and have a child hear and think they are doing something wrong.

I don't care whether a Mom wants to EBF or not. It's not my life. I just would never do it with my kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lawofflizzy
by on May. 17, 2012 at 10:01 AM
2 moms liked this

WOW! that was a lot of helpful information. I've been trying to decide how old is too old to keep bf'ing since we found out I was pregnant. Now with all this new knowledge under my belt, I'm thinking I'll let my little ham decide when she's done with bf'ing.

Thanks for all the research! ^_^

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 17, 2012 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Because its not the NORM, because for years moms were told FFing was better, then it went to 6 weeks only of BFing, then went to 6 months...when I was little my mom was told 9 months was more than enough BFing.  No one mentioned what risks formula had just that BFing was not needed and was no better than formula at that point.

I am confused as to how human milk becomes less nutricious.  Its like does broccoli somehow become less better for you after age 30 and you should only take vitamins instead of eatting veggies..no, so why would human milk become less nutricious or why would cows milk be better at some point?

vwd_johnson
by on May. 17, 2012 at 4:08 PM
I DO breastfeed, that's why im in this group. No where did I say I don't breastfeed. I do not extend breastfeed. And no, I stated my belief STARTED after a personal expierence of one child I used to know.

You also realize that formula feeding parents don't need to take 5 minutes to prepare a bottle right ? You're not leaving your child crying while u go make a bottle. I FF my son since breastfeeding didn't work for him, it took the same amount of time to take a bottle off my side, add powder and shake as it does to lift down my tank top, position and nurse.

You've just got your panties in a bunch now cause I don't approve of EBF for my children.

Quoting soulofsunmama:

Nope, not trying being rude AT ALL.

Take it how you'd like, but SCIENCE IS SCIENCE, and it looks like your entire opinion is because of 1child! What-if this child ff instead? How do you have any idea that it would change anything? Did it ever occur, that some(LOTS ebf&ff) personalities are just this way? Can you imagine how it could be a lot worse, if she had to say "wait" tired, hungry, clingy baby, "I've got to make your bottle while you have a meltdown, oh, and because your attached at my hip like your SUPPOSED to be, I'm really annoyed and not going to comfort you as much because its annoying...because you are a baby afterall."

And how is nurturing wrong? If we didn't nurture, we wouldn't still exist!

And how do you know what you "would" do this situation, when clearly YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN IN IT.

lastly why be on a breastfeeding sight when clearly you don't approve, and haven't done the research?

Quoting vwd_johnson:

I've never given my opinion to any new mom. As I wouldn't about anything that I have an "opinion" on, because its just that, MY opinon. I've witnessed *some* of it first hand. I don't need research because I know 100% I will not EBF. And if I did it would be strictly pumped. Like I stated before, I could care less what others moms do, each mom has their own choice on what they feel is best for their child, and I support that 100%.

No need for you to be so rude and act like I shove my opinion down peoples throats. OP asked why people feel this way, maybe it was rhetorical, but I gave her an answer.

Quoting soulofsunmama:

WWWWWOWWWW!

Are you serious?

To each their own I suppose, but this is such an uneducated response. please read up on this subject, there are SO many studies (SCIENCE) that prove opposite.

Please don't ever give this advice/opinion to a new mom. You could do A LOT of harm.:-(

Quoting vwd_johnson:

I *personally* have a problem with it because I think the young ages are the times where a kid really starts learning their personality. And I feel that kid who is still nursing on the breast is going to be less independant and more of a "baby" type. I feel they get too attached to mommy, and less learning to be dependant and how to be a kid. Also, I feel with how rude people are nowadays, I would hate for someone to say something to a mom about it, and have a child hear and think they are doing something wrong.

I don't care whether a Mom wants to EBF or not. It's not my life. I just would never do it with my kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaCeleste0722
by Celeste on May. 17, 2012 at 6:16 PM

In my experience, in being around my family and being around people

-They're not used to it. It's drilled in our heads that babies have to be off the bottle at a year, that it should be the same for nursing

-Breasts are so sexualized. For some reason, people can't see that breasts have a dual purpose. And that nursing toddlers/preschoolers DO NOT see them sexually. A great blog said "  If you see a mother nursing an older child and it seems sexually perverse to you, you are the only one of the three people who is having sexual thoughts." 

Here's the blog: http://skepticalmothering.com/2012/05/16/mothers-breastfeeding-for-their-own-gratification/

-People seem to be obsessed with kids being "independence" and not being "too attached: at an early age. That if you nurse beyond day 365, that your child will never be independent. 

Those are my thoughts :) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)