Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How long til my eight month old takes to solids?!!!! Help!

Posted by on May. 17, 2012 at 12:39 AM
  • 16 Replies
I am getting so frustrated lately... I have been trying solids with my son since he turned 6 months and he still won't eat for me! ;( his dad can feed him with lots of encouragement but he presses his little lips together and wines if I try at all... So I'm thinking it's cuz I nurse him... Maybe he is confused but I feel like giving up... He is gonna be crawling any day now.. He almost has it down so he is gonna be more hungry when he starts that I feel so any suggestions to get this stubborn man eating!?? Any tricks you mothers out there know of? Thx a ton!! ... Oh forgot to say he does eat snacks on his own like mum mums rice cakes and the melting little puffs... He will also try anything I'm eating... So I dunno...?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 17, 2012 at 12:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jackiewal10
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2012 at 12:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Purees??  I would try just giving him things he can feed himself.  He's old enough.  I'd ditch the purees.  He knows what REAL food is if he's eating off your plate.

sreichelt26
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2012 at 12:44 AM
Don't stress about it. They don't NEED solids at this age. They're just for practice. All you need to do is keep offering - he'll eat when he's ready.

Are you doing purees/baby food? If so, look into baby led solids. It may be that he just wants to feed himself.

Mine didn't start really eating solids until right around a year and she'd already been walking for months. She's perfectly healthy. And even still, she'll eat a little at dinner and maybe throughout the day, but she's still 90% breastfed. (She turned one April 27)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2012 at 1:32 AM
Solids before a year are only practice and not needed and should ALWAYS be given after a full nursing. Dont stress the solids its fine if he doesnt eat them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jjchick75
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2012 at 1:36 AM

If you are doing purees do away with them. Give him small bites of soft fruits and vegtables. If he is ready for solid food, he is ready for table food, no need to do purees! But as the other ladies have said solids before a year are just for fun! No need to get stressed out about them!

Johariz
by on May. 17, 2012 at 2:53 AM
Totally agree with this! And he doesn't need solids at this age. Just toss a few things on his tray that he can feed himself (broccoli, banana etc...) and don't stress about it! My son is 9 months old and has never had pureed food.

Quoting jackiewal10:

Purees??  I would try just giving him things he can feed himself.  He's old enough.  I'd ditch the purees.  He knows what REAL food is if he's eating off your plate.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heathercm26
by on May. 17, 2012 at 3:24 AM
This

Quoting Nicolle_09:

Solids before a year are only practice and not needed and should ALWAYS be given after a full nursing. Dont stress the solids its fine if he doesnt eat them.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 17, 2012 at 10:22 AM

When it happens. Ditch the purees and don't sweat it.He doesn't NEED the solids.

MumB
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2012 at 1:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh good this all makes me feel good;) I don't know why I worry so much... Guess it's first mom syndrome;)!! Thanks for all your support!! Everything will be OK;) that's all I need to keep telling myself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blg5484
by on May. 18, 2012 at 1:24 AM

you said he will be crawling so he needs to eat solids This is not true the 2 are NOT connected if you are offering breast as often as baby wants thats all baby needs

My DD is 22 months now she crawled at 4 1/2 months pulled up to stand at 5 months walked on the furniture at 6 1/2 months and walked with no support at 9 month she didnt start to try solids til she was 9 month and that was grabbing a hand full of rice and grave from my plate

DS is 7 months now crawls and pulls up on the furniture and doesnt get solids at all

just follow babys lead and dont stressand like all the other ladies said skip the mush

shelley11709
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2012 at 5:17 AM
My DS is almost 9 months and still barely does solids. He will share my banana and likes steamed carrot sticks to munch on but he hasn't really shown any interest yet. breast milk is the only thing he needs before a year, don't stress. I wouldn't try to push it on him. Try baby led solids so he can play and expirement with his food at his pace. They solids become fun and not a struggle.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN