Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Almost out of milk! piog

Posted by on May. 17, 2012 at 10:15 AM
  • 15 Replies

While Zayden was in the NICU I pumped like crazy. Once I got him home I rarely found the time to pump so I eventully dried up. I have made a previous post about his feeding issues. I am trying to get him on formula and it is just NOT working for him AT ALL. I have given him a few days of 1/4 formula 3/4 breastmilk but as soon as I increase to 1/2 formula 1/2 breastmilk the digestive problems start. The watery poos and the forceful vomiting and horrible tummy aches. So I keep having to go back to strictly breastmilk and start transitioning again. But I am about to run out of my frozen breastmilk and I have none left in the girls. I don't know what I am going to do if formula continues to make him so sick. I am in the process of switching him to soy(1/4 formula 3/4 breastmilk right now). So far we've gone 24 hours without any digestive issues! Keeping my fingers crossed that once I up it to 1/2 n 1/2 he can keep it down. He's growing fine. He's gained more than 4 lbs and he's not even 6 weeks yet. He was 5.13 at birth and is now 10.2! I just wish their was a way to get the girls producing again since my breastmilk agrees with him so much better. I have attempted pumping both sides for 20 mins every 2-2.5 hours but I didn't even get an ounce.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

by on May. 17, 2012 at 10:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GraceHudson
by on May. 17, 2012 at 10:18 AM
bump

MommyOfTheBest2
by on May. 17, 2012 at 10:19 AM
You CAN get that supply back but it will be a fight. Is there a reason your baby doesn't nurse from the breast? That would be the most ideal thing you could do for your baby and your supply. So sorry about the tummy upsets :-(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindseyLou531
by on May. 17, 2012 at 10:30 AM
There are lots of articles on relactation online. Check it out on kelly mom. It will be tough, but the girls were designed to make milk and they can be forced into making more now. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 17, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Check out kellymom about relactation, it is possible.  There is also eats on feets and human milk 4 human babies milk donation sites on facebook and you can get others breastmilk for free.

As far as formula, it is hard to digest but it could be that your LO needs something elemental and not soy or dairy based.

How many ounces is he eatting total a day? Often time the issue is actually overfeeding thats causing the issues with tummy upsets

annaica
by on May. 17, 2012 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this
Well if formula makes your baby sick, then either you will need to get donated breastmilk or relactate.
http://www.llli.org/faq/relactation.html
 The Breastfeeding Answer Book, published by La Leche League International, recommends the following strategies for relactation and induced lactation, to stimulate milk production:

* Putting baby to breast to suck at each feeding and for comfort  between feedings as often as possible.
* Using hand expression
 or abreast pump
* Using a nursing supplementer (if available and if conditions are sanitary enough to make its use safe) to provide expressed milk at the breast while baby sucks at the breast.
* Taking herbs/medication that increase milk supply (herb resources are listed in the resources collection).
If you do use herbs or medications to increase your supply, be sure to put the baby to the breast frequently, to remove as much milk as possible. This will help avoid breast infections or plugged ducts.

I also think using an sns is a good way to transition back to breast.

Increasing supply- http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/low-supply/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
care_free
by on May. 17, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Check out kellymom about relactation, it is possible.  There is also eats on feets and human milk 4 human babies milk donation sites on facebook and you can get others breastmilk for free.

As far as formula, it is hard to digest but it could be that your LO needs something elemental and not soy or dairy based.

How many ounces is he eatting total a day? Often time the issue is actually overfeeding thats causing the issues with tummy upsets

His doctor is keeping a close eye on this. He's being sent for an upper gi and the doctor wants me to try soy. He eats every 3-4 hours and takes 4 oz. So between 32-24oz a day...

care_free
by on May. 17, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Quoting MommyOfTheBest2:

You CAN get that supply back but it will be a fight. Is there a reason your baby doesn't nurse from the breast? That would be the most ideal thing you could do for your baby and your supply. So sorry about the tummy upsets :-(

He was born at 35 weeks weighing 5lb 13oz so the nurses/doctors were super concerned about how many ounces he was taking because the feeding tube and him being too sleepy to eat. I was pumping and counting how many ounces he was getting. I can still squirt milk all the way across the room but when I pump I'm not getting anything anymore. 

care_free
by on May. 17, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Thanks ladies. I think I will just put him to the boob before offering him the 4 oz and try that for awhile. I no longer have time to pump between feeding, burping, and taking care of my 2 y/o and 4 y/o.

shortyali
by Alicia on May. 17, 2012 at 2:45 PM
That's what my DD weighed at full term.

Quoting care_free:

Quoting MommyOfTheBest2:

He was born at 35 weeks weighing 5lb 13oz so the nurses/doctors were super concerned about how many ounces he was taking because the feeding tube and him being too sleepy to eat. I was pumping and counting how many ounces he was getting. I can still squirt milk all the way across the room but when I pump I'm not getting anything anymore. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on May. 17, 2012 at 3:05 PM
Mine was 5lb7oz full term :)
I agree your going to have to re-lactate or get donor milk.

Quoting shortyali:

That's what my DD weighed at full term.

Quoting care_free:

Quoting MommyOfTheBest2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN