Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I need more help...

Posted by on May. 17, 2012 at 3:16 PM
  • 9 Replies

I know that I have only asked for help, not really given any feed back.  However I need some more help!!  I feel as though DD is eating all the time.  She is 7 weeks, and I am getting little to no sleep some nights.  Example, she fed at 10 pm, was up at 12 midnight, DD1 (3yo) was up at 1 with an accident, then she was up at 2, 3, and 4:30 to feed.  Then woke at 6 for the day.  By the time I feed her, and settle back in I feel like she is up again to eat.  What am I doing wrong?  Please help.  Also the pedi said to pump, then let DH take a feeding or two at night so I can sleep.  I didn't because she wasn't getting up so often but now I wonder if I should.  Also she has not taken the bottle for over a week and when I broke down yesterday DH tried to give her a bottle but she flat out refused it (nipple confusion I assume).  What should I do?

I talked with DH and ultimately I want to breast feed, this is the longest I have been able to.  However being so sleep deprived isn't good for myself let alone taking care of the girls alone all day.  At this point, if I could keep my supply and pump for at least one or two feedings so DH could help at night I would be okay with that.  However I am extremely concerned about nipple confusion (I haven't even given her a pacifier because I am so concerned and she comfort suckles a lot on her hand).  Please help!  Is there a bottle that would have a better nipple so she wouldn't get confused?

by on May. 17, 2012 at 3:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
melindabelcher
by mel on May. 17, 2012 at 3:20 PM
It's probably a growth spurt. They go through one around 6 weeks. Baby is old enough to introduce a bottle. Whichever one baby will take but alot of people have success with the playtex drop in's esp latex nipples.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on May. 17, 2012 at 3:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Any time baby takes a bottle you need to pump at the same time and I find that to be more time consuming then bf especially in the middle of the night :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessi2girls
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2012 at 3:32 PM

You can try pumping, it won't hurt to try..

there are lots of bottles out there and every child is different, some take to some brands well, other's to other brands, and some babies just don't like bottles at al..

babies sleep through the night when they are ready to sleep through the night.. have you considered looking into safe co-sleeping? i know that helps a lot of mothers and babies sleep better though the night.

Also, if she's cranky, you may be dealing with collick...something you might want to look into because it normally starts to happen around this age for the kids that do end up going through it.

07lilmama1108
by on May. 17, 2012 at 3:38 PM
I agree, it sounds like a growth spurt. Not too much longer and she'll slow down! Ds used to be on constantly but around 3 months he almost stopped it seems!! He refuses the bottle while i work unless he's really hungry but i cosleep so he catches up and i get way more sleep. He usually sleep 12:30-6 am, sounds like your dd is still cluster feeding. Hugs mama!! This does pass!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2012 at 4:04 PM
Sounds like a growth spurt. However, DS is 12 months & still is up every 2-3 hours at night. My solution was to bedshare with him. Saved my sanity!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sreichelt26
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2012 at 4:13 PM

same here with dd.

if dad gives a bottle at night, you'll need to pump to replace the feeding anyway, so it defeats the purpose.

you're not doing anything wrong - you have a normal newborn

Quoting collinsmommy0:

Sounds like a growth spurt. However, DS is 12 months & still is up every 2-3 hours at night. My solution was to bedshare with him. Saved my sanity!

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Pumping so taht DH can feed during the night is a short term solution that can lead to long term preoblems like low milk supply and bottle preference.

What is your sleeping arrangement? I found that when I brought baby to bed with me (I side carred his crib: http://www.drmomma.org/2010/01/turn-your-crib-into-cosleeper.htmI ) I could get a good night sleep. You don't have to wake up completely, just pull baby into place an dlift shirt. There is also no "resettling", baby just falls asleep against you.

SLOmommy
by on May. 17, 2012 at 5:24 PM
I swore I'd never co-sleep but it's the only way I can get sleep. If I had to keep getting up that much, I wouldn't be able to get back to sleep. We do the side-lying position at night and when he's latched, I fall back to sleep.
Some might consider this unsafe but I'm an extremely light sleeper so this is the only way it works for us and I'm confident that the way I sleep (hardly moving and waking at any slight movement other than his suckling) will prevent anything from happening. To each her own....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 17, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Quoting Oneatatimemommy:

I know that I have only asked for help, not really given any feed back.

You're learning... that's perfectly fine! We are here to serve.

However I need some more help!!  I feel as though DD is eating all the time.  She is 7 weeks,

OK. EAting all the time is her job description. Reading on...

and I am getting little to no sleep some nights.  

And that's your job description, I'm afraid.. death, taxes and never getting a full night's sleep again!

Example, she fed at 10 pm, was up at 12 midnight, DD1 (3yo) was up at 1 with an accident, then she was up at 2, 3, and 4:30 to feed.  Then woke at 6 for the day.  By the time I feed her, and settle back in I feel like she is up again to eat.  What am I doing wrong?

Hmmm... expecting her to do something different does come to mind. **grin** This is pretty normal and where co-sleeping can really help.

Please help.  Also the pedi said to pump, then let DH take a feeding or two at night so I can sleep.

You have to get up while DH is feeding and pump. So no, sorry doc, thanks for playing.

I didn't because she wasn't getting up so often but now I wonder if I should.  Also she has not taken the bottle for over a week and when I broke down yesterday DH tried to give her a bottle but she flat out refused it (nipple confusion I assume).  What should I do?

Not be anywhere in the hosue when a bottle is given. Which is another reason why NOT to do the night bottles. Sorry!

I talked with DH and ultimately I want to breast feed, this is the longest I have been able to.  However being so sleep deprived isn't good for myself let alone taking care of the girls alone all day.  At this point, if I could keep my supply and pump for at least one or two feedings so DH could help at night I would be okay with that.  However I am extremely concerned about nipple confusion (I haven't even given her a pacifier because I am so concerned and she comfort suckles a lot on her hand).  Please help!  Is there a bottle that would have a better nipple so she wouldn't get confused?

If a baby is prone to confusion it will happen with ANY bottle. It's the BABY that matters, not hte bottle.

Your survival strategy: Drop anything that isn't needed for continued breathing. Hand off any duties that someone else can do. Paper plates and plastic forks for meals. 

In other words, if you were hit by a bus, what would you do? Do that here. You were hit by a bus seven weeks ago. **grin**

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)