Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

an unusual combination: help would be appreciated!

Posted by on May. 17, 2012 at 7:44 PM
  • 5 Replies

i have an unusual combination of circumstances: 1) i had my dd at 43 yo; 2) we are doing natural weaning, and, at 4 yo, she shows no signs of wanting to stop anytime soon.

the problem is (ok no laughing!)....i recently started having symptoms of menopause, specifically hot flashes...did i hear some laughing out there?!  just remember you will be here too one day!

anyway, wanting to address this as soon as possible, i went out and bought an otc herbal/vitamin mixure designed for this.because i didn't want to wait the 2 weeks or so it said it would take, and because i am a large woman, i tripled the dose for the first few days. it worked amazingly well! my body started to feel/function like normal again - not just eliminating the hot flashes but improving other things regulated by estrogen as well.

but then about a week after i started, i noticed a change i didn't want. usually when i go to work, by about 3 or 4:00 or so i start feeling a familiar full sensation in my breast. and now i wasn't feeling that - or at least not the same. i realized that likely the herbal supplement was so estrogenic it not only suppressed my symptoms but also was suppressing lactation.so i looked up what i believe is the main active ingredient, blue cohash, and sure enough it is containdicated in breastfeeding because it inhibits lactation.

so, now what i'm seeking is some advice from someone with either personal experience or someone knowledgable about natural supplements who can guide me in finding the right combination to eliminate or reduce symptoms of menopause but not inhibit lactation.. will taking herbal galactagoues be enough to overcome the inhibition of the blue cohash or do i need to do something completely different? any tips would be really appreciated!

by on May. 17, 2012 at 7:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2012 at 8:05 PM

'm right there with you! I'm 45 and nursing my almost 3 yr old. I take evening primrose oil every day, and it really helps. I'm waiting for her to wean beore taking the blue cohash.

http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/herbs/natural-treatments/

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on May. 17, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Are you having the flashes regularly? I had ONE at about age 40 and haven't had one since... that was eight years ago!

danielsmom764
by on May. 18, 2012 at 12:51 AM

it was strange - one day i just started having them - 4 or 5 in one day, but i guess relatively mild. at first i thought i was just hot - i live in los angeles, and did not have the a/c on - plus i tend to run hot, always have, even before hormones and weight gain became issues. but then i realized it was something different. and it continued the following days, maybe 3-5 a day. they are mild compared to what i've heard about, but uncomfortable just the same - and certainly wouldn't want to have to deal with it while at work or otherwise outside the home :)  i also sort of paniced about them growing in intensity if i didn't "nip it in the bud". i started taking fertility blend and krill oil with evening primrose oil , which i already had on hand but had not been taking, and picked up the one with blue cohash at trader joes.

the combination worked like a charm.....except for the lactation issue.

i never felt like my hormones completely returned to normal after my second pregnancy, but i attributed it to breastfeeding. but now it looks like it was both age related and bf related.

danielsmom764
by on May. 18, 2012 at 3:10 AM

thanks - i forgot about the kelly mom site - i'll have to check it out again

danielsmom764
by on May. 18, 2012 at 5:01 PM

unfortunately couldn't access the individual herbs listing for the site - i remember it was a great place for info when i was bfing and wanting herbal support for ttc some years back. hopefully it is a temporary site issue.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)