Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

When Breast isn't Enough ::UPDATE::

Posted by on May. 19, 2012 at 9:16 AM
  • 68 Replies

I have a 9 week old and she isn't gaining weight. I feed her on demand, but I don't think she's getting enough. She cries of hunger all the time. I feel like my boobs are deflated and empty at times. The doctor wants me to supplement her with formula. I really don't want to cause the stuff is groos and stains clothing horrible. I was thinking of rice cereal but I don't want her to be constipated. I tried to get her to feed more often to stimulate milk production. I don't want to pump cause it hurts. I drink lots of water and eat regularly. I'm taking her back in a few days to have her weighed and measured, but iin the last month she has not grown at all.

I feel like my body is failing. I constantly hear from so many other moms that everyone can breast feed, milk doesn't just "dry up" etc but I feel like it is drying up.

Update:: Went to the doctor today and she had gained 4oz.. Doc would like to see her gain five a week, but isn't terribly worried. gonna continue to only breastfeed. I been taking fenugreek pills and drinking tons of water. I've spent the last few days nursing her often (almost every hour) I feel more milk is being produce and she seems more content. Thanks everyone for the great tips!

by on May. 19, 2012 at 9:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ForeverInLove
by on May. 19, 2012 at 9:25 AM
It's try to get into a lactation consultant.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tansyflower
by on May. 19, 2012 at 9:41 AM

as a mom with a serious supply problem i cannot recomend donor milk enough...you dont HAVE to use formula! if you do have to supplement it is a wonderful option.

are you doing breast compressions while nursing, hand expressing your milk, taking natural supplements like fenegreek/goats rue/mothers milk tea ect?  also what kind of pump are you using?  how many poopy diapers a day is baby getting? what was babies lowest weight and what was her last weight? did you have a c-section?  was baby being weighed on the exact same scale?

there is also a medication called domperidone that will increase production if you are doing everything else and

mommy_4509
by on May. 19, 2012 at 9:44 AM
Stressing out will only decrease your supply ( I know bc my is decreased so badly from stress bc stress really affects my supply . It did with my son and I had to result in formula . Now I'm BFding my 6 month old DD and we just moved and it dropped pretty badly so now I supplement just til I get get this move over with n get my supply up ) there's no harm in supplementing for a short time , I did when my DD was a month old and then I just stopped supplements and went back straight to EBFding .

But just relax , try Mothers tea or fenugreek herbal supplements . They increase milk supply . Try those . They say they really work . From experience fenugreek didn't work for me . But give it a shot !

Boobs arent suppose to be engorged all the time . Have u ever been engorged even when your milk came in ?? How are her diapers ??? 6+ a day is great count for BFding babies .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kathislove80
by on May. 19, 2012 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this
Fenugreek has worked WONDERS for me! I take it daily. I drink mother's milk tea as well and eat oatmeal with my yogurt every morning.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
workingmommy87
by on May. 19, 2012 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this

lowest weight was 5lbs 12oz. she was 6lbs 14oz at her one month and two month appt. the pump i have is a dual pump, it's pretty top of the line kinda. my health insurence sent it to me. i do compressions, I don't take any natural supplements. no poopy diapers in the last 3.5 days and only 4-5 wet ones.

isn't donar milk really pricey? wic will cover formula but I don't think donar milk.

Quoting tansyflower:

as a mom with a serious supply problem i cannot recomend donor milk enough...you dont HAVE to use formula! if you do have to supplement it is a wonderful option.

are you doing breast compressions while nursing, hand expressing your milk, taking natural supplements like fenegreek/goats rue/mothers milk tea ect?  also what kind of pump are you using?  how many poopy diapers a day is baby getting? what was babies lowest weight and what was her last weight? did you have a c-section?  was baby being weighed on the exact same scale?

there is also a medication called domperidone that will increase production if you are doing everything else and

Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on May. 19, 2012 at 9:56 AM
You can get donor milk for free through eats on feets and human milk for human babies, both are on fb

Quoting workingmommy87:

lowest weight was 5lbs 12oz. she was 6lbs 14oz at her one month and two month appt. the pump i have is a dual pump, it's pretty top of the line kinda. my health insurence sent it to me. i do compressions, I don't take any natural supplements. no poopy diapers in the last 3.5 days and only 4-5 wet ones.

isn't donar milk really pricey? wic will cover formula but I don't think donar milk.

Quoting tansyflower:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
workingmommy87
by on May. 19, 2012 at 9:58 AM

i was really engorged when milk first came it. it finally settled down and here and there I would get a little full but nothing too bad. i know they're not supposed to be overly full all the time. diapers have only been wet and I get about 4-5 a day. No poop in 3.5 days.

can an "emotion" really make a difference in something thats supposed to be physical?

Quoting mommy_4509:

Stressing out will only decrease your supply ( I know bc my is decreased so badly from stress bc stress really affects my supply . It did with my son and I had to result in formula . Now I'm BFding my 6 month old DD and we just moved and it dropped pretty badly so now I supplement just til I get get this move over with n get my supply up ) there's no harm in supplementing for a short time , I did when my DD was a month old and then I just stopped supplements and went back straight to EBFding .

But just relax , try Mothers tea or fenugreek herbal supplements . They increase milk supply . Try those . They say they really work . From experience fenugreek didn't work for me . But give it a shot !

Boobs arent suppose to be engorged all the time . Have u ever been engorged even when your milk came in ?? How are her diapers ??? 6+ a day is great count for BFding babies .

purvislets
by on May. 19, 2012 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this
Emotions are physical reactions. The hormones they produce canput your body into different states. Stress can have s huge physical effect!

Quoting workingmommy87:

i was really engorged when milk first came it. it finally settled down and here and there I would get a little full but nothing too bad. i know they're not supposed to be overly full all the time. diapers have only been wet and I get about 4-5 a day. No poop in 3.5 days.

can an "emotion" really make a difference in something thats supposed to be physical?

Quoting mommy_4509:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jackiewal10
by Silver Member on May. 19, 2012 at 10:04 AM

I agree with everyone's suggestions.  I wanted to ask...have you taken any medicaitons or anything?  Typically, your milk supply doesn't drop like that, especially with a 9 week old, unless there is some outside influence.  Have you had your thyroid checked since giving birth?  Did you take any cold meds?

mommy_4509
by on May. 19, 2012 at 10:35 AM
Yes stress can play a HUGE part in milk supply . And 4-5 pees are good for a 24 hour period . My DD was down to almost 1 diaper a day . And EBFd baby's normally can go 10-14 days without a bowel movement . That's the longest . My DD goes once a week maybe 2 times a week .

Quoting workingmommy87:

Quoting mommy_4509:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)