Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms
My mate's mom says to me, "You're not gonna be like that mom on Time, right?"

This is right after she asked when I'd be starting cereal, and looked at me like a crazy person when I said I wouldn't be. And, she was also put off by the fact that I still sleep with the baby. Why the hell do you care, lady?!

I love breastfeeding. I hate, hate, hate the judgment. I hate constantly having to defend my choices. I genuinely want to move away from our families, because I'm tired of being told I'm spoiling her, I'm tired of unsolicited, uneducated advice, and I'm tired of people thinking they have a say.

And, what is up with people wanting to watch the baby alone? I don't get it. I didn't have a baby for everyone else. I enjoy spending time with her, and the last thing I want to do when I'm not at work is leave her with someone else.

Am I being irrational?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 19, 2012 at 7:11 PM
Replies (21-23):
justone_jen
by Jen on May. 21, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Thank you for your support. I wish I had more in real life, but it's nice to have it online. :)

Quoting catholicmamamia:

I am so sorry you are being treated that way.. ((HUGS)) 

justone_jen
by Jen on May. 21, 2012 at 6:47 PM

I get those comments, too. And, I get rude comments for not leaving her with people. I didn't go through pregnancy and childbirth for everyone else's enjoyment. I don't keep her from her grandparents, but is it so crazy that I actually like being around my baby? I know there are parents who are happy to have someone to leave their child with all the time (about 80% of my family), but I'm not one of them!

Not to mention, I don't trust that you'll respect my decisions as her MOTHER, so I'm not leaving her with you. Period. Sorry, I don't mean to rant on you. Thanks for reading. :)

Quoting amgrays:

I completely agree about other people wanting to watch the baby. My husband's cousin is always asking for him to spend the night - why would anyone who's not the parent want an infant to interupt their sleep. My MIL made the snippy comment the other day that between me and my husband no one ever gets to hold the baby. He's our baby and we like holding him.

justone_jen
by Jen on May. 21, 2012 at 6:51 PM

I would've been LIVID. I'm sorry she did that to you and your baby. The baby has all kinds of time to have solids, after a year. Why rush it?

What gets me, is that his mom always complains about her weight, and doesn't see the correlation between starting children on fried potatoes and ice cream, with weight issues. I've researched my decision to delay solids and breastfeed. Her advice or suggestions or ideas have no basis.

Quoting Clh1989:

When my son was a few months old my MIL gave him ice cream after she asked and I said no. He hadn't had any solids yet, and I had to eliminate dairy from my diet already. Plain dairy straight to his system was hell! He was puking and had gross runny poops and screamed and screamed in pain. She denied that it had anything to do with the ice cream and said we were exaggerating!! I do not understand the rush in giving baby solids either, it may be fun for them but it's selfish IMO.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN