Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

When does nursing get weird in your book?

Posted by on May. 20, 2012 at 2:37 PM
  • 136 Replies
My dd is 8.5 months old and still nursing like a champ. I would like to continue nursing as long as possible probably until around age 2 if possible ( she's my first so I'm not really sure when babies wean or stop wanting breastmilk ) . My dh was raised by a mother who didn't even want to try to breast feed. I think even the subject makes her uncomfortable and embarrassed for some reason. So my husband never really knew the benefits of it , he thinks age 1 she should stop but I disagree. Now age 3,4 etc that is probably getting to be a little strange to breastfeed lol. How long do you plan to breastfeed? What age is too old ?
by on May. 20, 2012 at 2:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ireallydontcare
by on May. 20, 2012 at 2:40 PM
13 moms liked this

When you decide it is. There is no right age.

I plan to breastfeed as long as mutually desired.

It only becomes uncomfortable when some jackass is staring at you. People need to learn some manners.

army_wifey_06
by on May. 20, 2012 at 2:40 PM
My first nursed until 18 months before he weaned. I had to be away from him when I went in for a D&C and just after being away 1 night he weaned himself. My second just turned 2 weeks and I hope to nurse until 2.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Autumn19
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2012 at 2:42 PM
i want to let dd decided and she just turned 5 mons today :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aslen
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2012 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I planned to BF my oldest for 6 weeks. Wasn't interested in going beyond that.

We did it for two and a half years. My mother also didn't BF me, and she was weirded out by it... until she was around it.

When i got pregnant with my youngest, I was divorced and living back at home. My mother, unop hearing the news said, "You're gonna BF right?" When I said yes, she said, "Good! One less expense to worry about!" I made it three year with my youngest. I was done long before that, but knew he wasn't. LOL I don't think I'll  nurse again for three years, but never say never!

mama_grizz
by on May. 20, 2012 at 2:44 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't think it's ever weird. As long as mom and child are comfortable. Personally I would like to go one year, but because of being a single mother with a lot on my plate, I'm not sure I can go longer than that. I'll give it a shot though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xredstarsx
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2012 at 2:45 PM
1 mom liked this
I personally think 5 or 6 is when it starts getting strange. However if you want to then more power to you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
redhead-bedhead
by on May. 20, 2012 at 2:48 PM
11 moms liked this
I may be a weird one but extended breastfeeding isnt weird to me. Only choosing to nurse a few weeks does seem weird to me though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShadowLark
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2012 at 2:48 PM
After a year you can skip pumping if you like. My oldest daughter would have been VERY hungry at around 18 months old if I hadn't still been nursing. She insisted on feeding herself, with a spoon. Well, she dropped everything. She was too stubborn to simply grab it with her hand and eat that way! Silly girl!

Quoting mama_grizz:

I don't think it's ever weird. As long as mom and child are comfortable. Personally I would like to go one year, but because of being a single mother with a lot on my plate, I'm not sure I can go longer than that. I'll give it a shot though.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Krysta622
by on May. 20, 2012 at 2:49 PM
2 moms liked this

It never got weird for me.  My first nursed until 14 months, and my second nursed until just past 3 1/2 yrs.  I never planned to nurse for any amount of time, I just went with it, wherever it took me.  Too old is when mother and/or child no longer wish to continue nursing.

iMommyDi
by on May. 20, 2012 at 2:50 PM
My kids self weaned before 2yr. I would be okay going to 2yr. Past that is a little weird for *me*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)