Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

When does nursing get weird in your book?

My dd is 8.5 months old and still nursing like a champ. I would like to continue nursing as long as possible probably until around age 2 if possible ( she's my first so I'm not really sure when babies wean or stop wanting breastmilk ) . My dh was raised by a mother who didn't even want to try to breast feed. I think even the subject makes her uncomfortable and embarrassed for some reason. So my husband never really knew the benefits of it , he thinks age 1 she should stop but I disagree. Now age 3,4 etc that is probably getting to be a little strange to breastfeed lol. How long do you plan to breastfeed? What age is too old ?
by on May. 20, 2012 at 2:37 PM
Replies (11-20):
soulofsunmama
by on May. 20, 2012 at 2:50 PM
I don't think ANY of it is weird, others might, but I don't care about that either, they can look the other way, go somewhere else, or mind their own biddniss...family include.
lil baby boy will decide when he's ready, NOT mama, and certainly NOT the rest of uptight society:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alreadydidthis
by on May. 20, 2012 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this
When the kid is old enough to ask for it or walk up to me and pull up my shirt. Then FOR ME ( only me) is it time to stop.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelbabies14
by on May. 20, 2012 at 2:53 PM
2 moms liked this
My first was BF until 2.5 years old only because there was so much going o. With also nursing my son at the same time, his food allergies, our elimination etc.. My DS is now 2.5 himself and still nursing, I don't find it strange or uncomfortable. I will continue to nurse him as long as he needs to. It could be another year or more who knows but you take it one day at a time. Try not to set yourself up for leaning one way or another. Just enjoy the time and tell others to mind their business ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuDeNym
by on May. 20, 2012 at 2:55 PM

This is something every family needs to decide for themselves.

For me personally, it would've made me feel odd if my child would've been saying, "More, please."  But, as I said, that's just MY hangup.

Lizj4
by on May. 20, 2012 at 2:55 PM
I've never been able to breastfeed past 6 months but other friends of mine have gone longer. For me watching a little boy basically pull out his moms boob in public got weird for me one because we were in public and two my husband was with me and had to see that. He was 18 months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelbabies14
by on May. 20, 2012 at 2:57 PM
I know you said "for me" but what about kids that talk early, like mine. They were under a year asking for "milkies" My daughter also pulled at my shirt by 9 months. Would you stop that soon?

Quoting alreadydidthis:

When the kid is old enough to ask for it or walk up to me and pull up my shirt. Then FOR ME ( only me) is it time to stop.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littleacorn
by on May. 20, 2012 at 2:58 PM
1 mom liked this
I plan on nursing as long as my lo wants to. The biological norm is 4 to 7 years. I'd say it gets weird at puberty.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama-smurf
by Felisha on May. 20, 2012 at 3:00 PM
I didn't get chance but with my kid I will stop at 1. For me seeing kids 1 yrs old and older BFing seems kinda weird. Like in that movie Grown Ups.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelbabies14
by on May. 20, 2012 at 3:03 PM
That movie completely exaggerated what really takes place but I did laugh! "He's 48 MONTHS" teehee...

Quoting mama-smurf:

I didn't get chance but with my kid I will stop at 1. For me seeing kids 1 yrs old and older BFing seems kinda weird. Like in that movie Grown Ups.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama-smurf
by Felisha on May. 20, 2012 at 3:05 PM
Lol Its weird. Do women actually still count in months after the kid turns 2? I just say 2, almost 2 and a half and almost 3.

Omg that movie was so funny.

Quoting angelbabies14:

That movie completely exaggerated what really takes place but I did laugh! "He's 48 MONTHS" teehee...

Quoting mama-smurf:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN