Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

When does nursing get weird in your book?

My dd is 8.5 months old and still nursing like a champ. I would like to continue nursing as long as possible probably until around age 2 if possible ( she's my first so I'm not really sure when babies wean or stop wanting breastmilk ) . My dh was raised by a mother who didn't even want to try to breast feed. I think even the subject makes her uncomfortable and embarrassed for some reason. So my husband never really knew the benefits of it , he thinks age 1 she should stop but I disagree. Now age 3,4 etc that is probably getting to be a little strange to breastfeed lol. How long do you plan to breastfeed? What age is too old ?
by on May. 20, 2012 at 2:37 PM
Replies (21-30):
soulofsunmama
by on May. 20, 2012 at 3:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree completely, I can't help it if the rest of society (not here, I mean general population) can't be mature enough to mind their own :)
as far as embarrassment, we can choose or not to be...no one else gets to decide that for us!

Quoting littleacorn:

I plan on nursing as long as my lo wants to. The biological norm is 4 to 7 years. I'd say it gets weird at puberty.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelbabies14
by on May. 20, 2012 at 3:18 PM
No but the dad felt weird so saying it in months seems younger lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alreadydidthis
by on May. 20, 2012 at 3:20 PM
Thats diffrent cause you have a gifted little baby. But in my head i envisioned a toddler. Like my 3yo goes to school plays soccer. I cant imagine still bfing her.

Quoting angelbabies14:

I know you said "for me" but what about kids that talk early, like mine. They were under a year asking for "milkies" My daughter also pulled at my shirt by 9 months. Would you stop that soon?

Quoting alreadydidthis:

When the kid is old enough to ask for it or walk up to me and pull up my shirt. Then FOR ME ( only me) is it time to stop.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fahmom
by on May. 20, 2012 at 3:20 PM
2 moms liked this
My son is 13 months almost 14 months old and is BF. We will continue to 2 years and beyond. With the intent to allow him to self wean. He is also my first. The thought of BF a 4-5 year old is strange to me but only because I have never done it. It's not like I'm going to wake up and all of the sudden be nursing an older child. It happens over time. Ultimately age does not matter it is what mother and child wants.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelbabies14
by on May. 20, 2012 at 3:35 PM
My son is now 2.5 years old. He can talk in full paragraphs but I personally don't find it weird he still nurses. You teach manners. They don't all nurse on demand, anywhere and everywhere (although if they did that's fine too) My son mainly nurses in the morning, nap time and bedtime. Sometimes when he's sick or grouchy he'll nurse more but it's not the same experience as when he was younger. He has moments of insanity and begs and screams for milkies but I correct his attitudeand distract for the moment. :)

Quoting alreadydidthis:

Thats diffrent cause you have a gifted little baby. But in my head i envisioned a toddler. Like my 3yo goes to school plays soccer. I cant imagine still bfing her.

Quoting angelbabies14:

I know you said "for me" but what about kids that talk early, like mine. They were under a year asking for "milkies" My daughter also pulled at my shirt by 9 months. Would you stop that soon?

Quoting alreadydidthis:

When the kid is old enough to ask for it or walk up to me and pull up my shirt. Then FOR ME ( only me) is it time to stop.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
valeriesmom1112
by on May. 20, 2012 at 3:38 PM

For me personally I dont know exactly how long I will do it. My goal is at least one year tho. She is almost 5 months now...If she still wants it after that I will probably pump and give it to her in a bottle. This is just me personally tho because I cant see myself with a toddler on my boob! I do think it is weird for me. If others are fine with it then hey go ahead but for me I draw the line at 1.

giggleslotz
by on May. 20, 2012 at 3:49 PM
idk maybe past 3yrs? i really dont know my lil girl is 20mos planned to nurse her for a yr. then met that goal & passed it thought it would be gettin weird now, but it really isnt. she isnt ready to stop lol! i dont want to force her...hubby keeps saying its going to be harder the longer i wait....4yr. or older seems like it would deffinatly be weird
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MollyJmommy
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2012 at 3:53 PM
My dd is 10 months old and still nursing like a champ. I think 5 is my cutoff point
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mnmo3bb
by on May. 20, 2012 at 4:02 PM
I thought it would be weird but you are doingg it every day, it doesnt just one day become weird or it didnt for me... i nursed my 3rd until 23 months and my fourth hasnt nursed since friday! She will be 2.5 on the 26th... i plan to nurse our baby due in Dec until age 2 or so as well...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on May. 20, 2012 at 4:08 PM
me and hubby though beyond one was weird but i'm now bf our 2.5yr old and 8 week old and it isnt weird to us at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)