Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

When does nursing get weird in your book?

My dd is 8.5 months old and still nursing like a champ. I would like to continue nursing as long as possible probably until around age 2 if possible ( she's my first so I'm not really sure when babies wean or stop wanting breastmilk ) . My dh was raised by a mother who didn't even want to try to breast feed. I think even the subject makes her uncomfortable and embarrassed for some reason. So my husband never really knew the benefits of it , he thinks age 1 she should stop but I disagree. Now age 3,4 etc that is probably getting to be a little strange to breastfeed lol. How long do you plan to breastfeed? What age is too old ?
by on May. 20, 2012 at 2:37 PM
Replies (31-40):
LadyBugMom09
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2012 at 4:09 PM
Whenevee it feels weird for you. I BF my DD till 14 mo and hope to BF my son till 18 mo...maybe 2...we'll see.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on May. 20, 2012 at 4:13 PM
Thats great that you want to nurse to one!

Just be aware that it isn't just the milk that they want it's the act. Just like breaking babys of bottles can be hard, some flat out refuse milk from anything other then a bottle for months.
Also your response to a pump after one will likely be very minimal if any.

Quoting valeriesmom1112:

For me personally I dont know exactly how long I will do it. My goal is at least one year tho. She is almost 5 months now...If she still wants it after that I will probably pump and give it to her in a bottle. This is just me personally tho because I cant see myself with a toddler on my boob! I do think it is weird for me. If others are fine with it then hey go ahead but for me I draw the line at 1.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CampbellMama
by on May. 20, 2012 at 4:13 PM
For ME personally (right now) the thought of nursing past 2 1/2 - 3 weirds me out. LO is only 16 weeks now, we will see how I feel then!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ashiopeia
by on May. 20, 2012 at 4:16 PM
3 moms liked this
I don't think grown men should do it. But to each their own.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashleybgarcia
by on May. 20, 2012 at 4:16 PM
I stopped @29 months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on May. 20, 2012 at 4:16 PM
I haven't set a limit, just winging it. My LO will be 3 in August and I don't imagine her willingly quitting right now. It's just not weird to me. And I don't know why anyone else would think I'm weird, because I'm only nursing once or twice a day, at home, and no one even really knows. It's just not a topic of conservation. I don't know why anyone gets so hot and bothered by what another mom does that is of no consequence to them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barronbaby
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2012 at 4:18 PM
never breastfeeding is natural... my nursling weaned himself at 11 months... i totally wasnt ready for it but he was
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
valeriesmom1112
by on May. 20, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Ya I pump now and I dont get very much. If thats the case at that time then I might just have to wean her. She does good using a bottle tho when I am at work.

Quoting melindabelcher:

Thats great that you want to nurse to one!

Just be aware that it isn't just the milk that they want it's the act. Just like breaking babys of bottles can be hard, some flat out refuse milk from anything other then a bottle for months.
Also your response to a pump after one will likely be very minimal if any.

Quoting valeriesmom1112:

For me personally I dont know exactly how long I will do it. My goal is at least one year tho. She is almost 5 months now...If she still wants it after that I will probably pump and give it to her in a bottle. This is just me personally tho because I cant see myself with a toddler on my boob! I do think it is weird for me. If others are fine with it then hey go ahead but for me I draw the line at 1.

MommaGreenhalge
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2012 at 4:20 PM
It gets weird to me around three. I have a 4.5 year old and a 2.5 year old. I could sort of imagine still nursing the two year old (he couldn't. I gave him some in a cup and he said it was yucky), but not for much longer. I nursed them both till one, but I hope to nurse longer with DD. At least 18 months and maybe till two. We'll see beyond that. But I won't nurse on demand past the point where she's eating full meals of solids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sreichelt26
by Gold Member on May. 20, 2012 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I will let my children breastfeed until they decide to stop, which I'm assuming will be around age 3.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)