Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help! I'm not producing enough!!

Posted by on May. 20, 2012 at 7:34 PM
  • 9 Replies

I am in a panic! My son was due August 22nd and entered the world 16 weeks early on May 6th. I had not made the decision of breast milk or formula, but because he was so early they said breast milk was the best way to go. So without questions, I started to pump. Well now he is 2 weeks old and 2 weeks of me pumping and still getting less than a 1/2 ounce with each pumping. Is this normal because it doesnt seem normal to me! This is my second child, but first time using breast milk so I am not sure of the norms of this. I just get the feeling that my body doesnt realize that I had a baby and I dont know what to do!! Any suggestions??

by on May. 20, 2012 at 7:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
SouthTxPrincess
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2012 at 8:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Ok mama take a deep breath it will be ok. First off your doing a great job! Normal pump output is .5 oz -2 oz. If your exclusively pumping you need to pump every two hours during the day and every three hours at night. You can take things like mothers milk tea and fungreek (sp) to help build supply. Also drink lots of water and get skin to skin with baby to help stimulate supply. This is a great group and you should get lots of answers and support here! Contests on the new baby!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SouthTxPrincess
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2012 at 8:09 PM
Also diapers are the only way to tell if you are getting enough you should be looking for 6 diapers a day a poopy one counts as two.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on May. 20, 2012 at 8:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, that amount is normal, but you need to keep pumping, more frequently if you need to, until you are getting at least 24-32 ounces a day, as that is considered a "full" supply.

I'm assuming you are able to meet baby's needs with what you are pumping so far? Usually the amounts they get are very small at that age.

This video is a MUST SEE. It give tons of great tips for bringing in a milk supply by pumping and mximizing pump out put. It will tell you everything you need to know!

http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html

WTG pumping for your LO when you wer not even sure if you were going to breast feed! It is not easy but so worth it!

mama02040608
by on May. 20, 2012 at 9:13 PM
Keep pumping, frequently. You can add in galactogogues to help boost supply. You need to try to relax and coax your body into milk making mode! I know that the breasts are "ready" to make milk mid 2nd trimester, but sometimes I feel like the really early preemies' moms' bodies just don't get the message right away...like "I'm not supposed to do this yet!"

Keep pumping like you're getting paid for it and listen to maggiemom's advice. You will do great!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
preacherskid
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2012 at 9:29 PM
How often are you pumping? What pump? Are you doing any breast compressions? Taking any supplements like fenugreek, blessed thistle, etc? When my dd was born a month early I had to pump every 45 minutes to bring my milk in, then every hour and a half to two hours after that. Once she came home we were able to stop pumping and nurse (have they let you try skin to skin or latching yet- that can help). Once I went back to work to maintain my response, even with an oversupply and generally mutant response to a pump, I had to pump every two hours until she started going longer at home, then I was able to cut back to every three hours.
ctsassy
by on May. 20, 2012 at 11:50 PM

They told me to pump every 3 hours so that is what I was doing... so I should try pumping more often? Also, we have not gotten to hold him yet so there has not been any skin to skin  :(   He does eat a very small amount. Right now he is on a constant feed and he gets 2.4 ml every hour. Its may not seem like much, but with the little that I am producing I feel like as theyincrease him if I dont increase what I can supply then they move on to donor milk or formula which I didnt want. I didnt even think about my body not being ready with him being so early, I just had it in my mind that once you have a baby, your breast milk comes! The pump I have is Ameda Purely Yours. I like the Medela one I use at the hospital better, but my insurance covers the Ameda so that is what was given when I had him. I am not taking any supplements besides the prenatals they told me to just continue to take.

Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on May. 21, 2012 at 12:25 AM
Ok both my boys were early, i know your stress. First off pump every two hours during the day and every three hours at night. Once you deliver your placenta your body knows baby is born but it can take a few days longer for your supply to be fully in. Remember average both breasts combined is .5-2 ounces. Get some fenugreek pills and start taking 3 three times a day. And donor milk is always great to look into and formula is not evil.

Quoting ctsassy:

They told me to pump every 3 hours so that is what I was doing... so I should try pumping more often? Also, we have not gotten to hold him yet so there has not been any skin to skin  :(   He does eat a very small amount. Right now he is on a constant feed and he gets 2.4 ml every hour. Its may not seem like much, but with the little that I am producing I feel like as theyincrease him if I dont increase what I can supply then they move on to donor milk or formula which I didnt want. I didnt even think about my body not being ready with him being so early, I just had it in my mind that once you have a baby, your breast milk comes! The pump I have is Ameda Purely Yours. I like the Medela one I use at the hospital better, but my insurance covers the Ameda so that is what was given when I had him. I am not taking any supplements besides the prenatals they told me to just continue to take.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gracielynn87
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2012 at 12:38 AM
preacherskid
by Silver Member on May. 21, 2012 at 7:40 PM
Pump every two hours during the day and every three at night, do breast compressions after every pumping. Fenugreek will help, you want to take enough that you smell like maple syrup. I ate two bowls of oatmeal a day and took up to four brewers yeast tabs because I could not get the fenugreek when I needed it. That did the trick for me. You really do want to pump at least every two hours though.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)